Should a Christian own a gun?

Jonathan

I love all this great advice and hope all who know about the law regarding guns keep it coming.

I am not advising anyone to do what I would, as it may cause them to get arrested. However, if my life or the life of my family is in danger, I personally am going to do whatever I think is best at the time and deal with the consequences later. Probably not the smartest move, but just being honest. :shrug
Just remember I am not a lawyer. And the law often changes. Which is why it is so important to get trained up. (This isn't directed at you but for anyone reading). Any decent safety course will cover all of these issues. And strictly, speaking, if for no other reason to keep up with the law, it's not a bad idea for ever seasoned gun owners to take a course every five years ago.

Jonathan

Good to know. I had no idea. Is it ok to just wave the gun around? I don’t have one, but I’m just curious.
Again, depends on the circumstance, that is generally referred to as "Brandishing a Firearm" which is different from having it on a holster or taking it out in a non intimidating way to show a friend, get someone to inspect it, use it at the range etc.

But truly Brandishing a Firearm is a serious crime. It can basically be construed as a threat on someone's life.

With that said, I've seen videos of citizens holding someone at bay with a firearm until the authorities arrived , which could technically be considered brandishing.

Sooo.. again, consult a lawyer in YOUR state.

borrowedtime

Again, depends on the circumstance, that is generally referred to as "Brandishing a Firearm" which is different from having it on a holster or taking it out in a non intimidating way to show a friend, get someone to inspect it, use it at the range etc.

But truly Brandishing a Firearm is a serious crime. It can basically be construed as a threat on someone's life.

With that said, I've seen videos of citizens holding someone at bay with a firearm until the authorities arrived , which could technically be considered brandishing.

Sooo.. again, consult a lawyer in YOUR state.

State laws apply for sure.

Some states allow for citizens arrest (probably what the YouTube videos you saw were) or could have been “off duty” cops who had to respond to an incident that met a threshold they were required to act upon.

Nevada I’ve seen them charge people for brandishing even when they were doing citizens arrest. But Georgia citizens arrest is allowed for felonies. So state by state applies.

Jan51

Once two of my grandkids (10 and 12) were driving their ATVs to see their friends and the local "crazy lady" came screaming out at them (they were not speeding) brandishing a gun around, then fired a warning shot. Scared the poor kids to death, and of course my son was right over there and called the cops. She said she fired into the ground. She went to jail, had her guns taken away for a year.

fl2007rn

Once two of my grandkids (10 and 12) were driving their ATVs to see their friends and the local "crazy lady" came screaming out at them (they were not speeding) brandishing a gun around, then fired a warning shot. Scared the poor kids to death, and of course my son was right over there and called the cops. She said she fired into the ground. She went to jail, had her guns taken away for a year.
That is exactly why it is illegal to brandish a gun in most states. If she was truly afraid she should have called 911 because the kids were riding their ATV's and not breaking into her house. It is not safe to have some nutty lady shooting a gun around 10 and 12 year old children!

Andy C

Stories like these are what the leftist media use to paint law abiding gun owners as crazy people.

Last edited:

FaithnHope

Loved and changed by Jesus.
I haven’t read through all the comments yet but wanted to share how my family did it growing up and what we do now.
Mom and grandpa both carried (there was no need for a permit back then) but they carried under the seat. That way a simple argument over a fender bender or whatever didn’t get out of hand. It was there if needed. Grandpa usually had his rifles in his gun racks during hunting season, but then so did everyone else in town.
We keep ours at home. We have decided neither of us wants to take a life but will if a home invasion happens.
We both carry knives and know how to use them because friendly fire is our biggest concern. I also carry a small bear spray depending on where we are going.
We have more and more random killing on our highways. People shooting and killing drivers as they pass them on the highway. Having a gun won’t help here in most of these situations. Having one at home could very likely save your family.

Andy C

I haven’t read through all the comments yet but wanted to share how my family did it growing up and what we do now.
Mom and grandpa both carried (there was no need for a permit back then) but they carried under the seat. That way a simple argument over a fender bender or whatever didn’t get out of hand. It was there if needed. Grandpa usually had his rifles in his gun racks during hunting season, but then so did everyone else in town.
We keep ours at home. We have decided neither of us wants to take a life but will if a home invasion happens.
We both carry knives and know how to use them because friendly fire is our biggest concern. I also carry a small bear spray depending on where we are going.
We have more and more random killing on our highways. People shooting and killing drivers as they pass them on the highway. Having a gun won’t help here in most of these situations. Having one at home could very likely save your family.
Good post. I dont worry about needing a gun while driving on the highways, but its having one with me in the event of a breakdown in our vehicle, which then leaves you extremely vulnerable while waiting for a tow truck.

As I said earlier, for now, only my wife has a conceal carry license. When we hike in the state parks, or other secluded areas, she always has her gun in her fanny pack. I have taught her in the event where folks are being aggressive with us, and we feel our life is in danger, I will create a diversion long enough for her to get her gun out. I did warn her that Im getting older, so my diversion wont last as long as it would’ve 10 years ago, so dont take your time getting the gun.....:oops:

Last edited:

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
Good post. I dont worry about needing a gun while driving on the highways, but its having one with me in the event of a breakdown in our vehicle, which then leaves you extremely vulnerable while waiting for a tow truck.

As I said earlier, for now, only my wife has a conceal carry license. When we hike in the state parks, or other secluded areas, she always has her gun in her fanny pack. I have taught her in the event where folks are being aggressive with us, and we feel our life is in danger, I will create a diversion long enough for her to get her gun out. I did warn her that Im getting older, so my diversion wont last as long as it would’ve 10 years ago, so dont take your time getting the gun.....:oops:
Good reasons to have a conceal carry license! :) I never thought about the things you have mentioned.

FaithnHope

Loved and changed by Jesus.
You dont want the first time you actually need your gun to be the one time you decided to leave it at home. Its a sad and fallen world where we even need to have a discussion on this.
Truth! You brought up some very good reasons to carry. Being broken down was the one time I wished I had one. A nut job pulled up to “help” me, praise God a trooper pulled up right behind him and scared him off. Later that week the same man followed me all over town until I went to the police station. I forgot all about that, it was so many years ago. I am thankful for the Lord’s protection because I have no doubt that man was evil. I know it was Him because you never saw troopers on that stretch of highway in Wyoming back then.

My friend with PTSD carries when she runs. She was mauled by a pit bull recently. You never know when it will save your life.

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
...She was mauled by a pit bull recently. You never know when it will save your life.
This is something else to consider. A gun is a tool that doesn't always protect you just from people, but also animals. We have razorbacks and bears in this state (and every good ol' boy I know has said that mountain lions have moved in.) Every last one of those animals is reason enough to keep a gun on you if you spend any amount of time outdoors.

We have a shotgun in the house. It's not loaded and my husband is the one who knows how to shoot. If I had wild hogs in the backyard, and my mom was coming home to dinner, you can better believe that he would be out there shooting to protect (with a bonus of pork chops later.) I'd like to get a good rifle in the house, but guns and ammo are expensive.

Last edited:

yeshua'sbride

♥ Standing with Israel
Great discussion, everybody. I'm really learning a lot.

Years ago Dave and I each had FID (Firearm Identification) cards, which we kept meaning to renew but never did. We still have shotguns and ammo (safely stored away from the little ones), but the only time they've been used over the years is when Dave needed to shoot a few rabid racoons.

Connecticut has some of the most stringent gun laws in the country and they don't grant many gun licenses anymore. I don't remember how to use the guns so I'd never try to, but I don't know if the lack of a license would stop Dave from doing what he felt he had to do to protect his family. I pray we never have to find out.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
1 Timothy 5:8, KJV

To me, providing safety/security for one's family, church family, church, neighbors, etc. is part of providing.

Which member(s) have this responsibility will depend on faith/beliefs, mental, emotional, and physical ability. Even a split second hesitation could cost live(s) because a firearm could be taken away as used against the owner/family. Training can overcome hesitation based on fear of the firearm or not knowing how to use the firearm safely, however, no amount of training will overcome hesitation caused by faith/belief, mental, or emotional doubts or qualms. The most important thing to consider when deciding whether or not to obtain a firearm is whether or not you could kill another human being with no qualms or second thoughts. If not, gun ownership is a bigger hazard than help. A firearm is a lethal weapon and every time it is pulled out (other than on the range), the assumption is that deadly force is both necessary and legal, and the person with the firearm intends to use it as a lethal weapon.

There are places that rent firearms and range time, and provide coaching/instruction, so the physical hesitation based on unfamiliarity/fear of the firearm can be overcome, and the most appropriate firearm for the individual can be determined. Simply going to a store and picking based on other people's advice often results in the wrong firearm being selected for the individual. This can adversely affect the individual's ability to control the weapon, fire accurately, avoid tragedy, and save live(s). How well the weapon and owner are matched will also affect how much the person is willing train/maintain skills. Firing a weapon accurately is a perishable skill. This is also why buying one firearm to be used by both a husband and wife is usually a bad idea, and it is usually the wife, who struggles with a firearm that is a good fit for the husband, but not her. Hand size, alone, can mean two different guns, even of the same caliber and make, are needed for both to be the safest and most effective possible.

As retired law enforcement and retired military, I have an obligation to my family, church, church family, and community. Ergo, I have a gun. I also have skills of observation, de-escalation, less lethal force, etc.. so I am not limited to just one course of action should a need arise. Most importantly, the knowledge of when/where to use (and not use) what. Good concealed carry classes teach some of these same skills at a civilian level. Even if a person does not think he/she will ever carry outside the house, the classes are important for many reasons other than shooting and getting a card/endorsement. Situations change, sometimes very rapidly, so having the option of carrying outside the house could become important with little or no warning (or time to obtain a concealed carry permit).

Oh, God, how much longer :cry
Dear God, please hurry up!!! Please send Your Son, Jesus Christ, back soon quickly tonight :pray :pray :amen :amen :rapture :rapture

:armor :pray :bible :pray :amen :knight

:bible Ephesians 6:10-20

Last edited:

Andy C

8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
1 Timothy 5:8, KJV

To me, providing safety/security for one's family, church family, church, neighbors, etc. is part of providing.

Which member(s) have this responsibility will depend on faith/beliefs, mental, emotional, and physical ability. Even a split second hesitation could cost live(s) because a firearm could be taken away as used against the owner/family. Training can overcome hesitation based on fear of the firearm or not knowing how to use the firearm safely, however, no amount of training will overcome hesitation caused by faith/belief, mental, or emotional doubts or qualms. The most important thing to consider when deciding whether or not to obtain a firearm is whether or not you could kill another human being with no qualms or second thoughts. If not, gun ownership is a bigger hazard than help. A firearm is a lethal weapon and every time it is pulled out (other than on the range), the assumption is that deadly force is both necessary and legal, and the person with the firearm intends to use it as a lethal weapon.

There are places that rent firearms and range time, and provide coaching/instruction, so the physical hesitation based on unfamiliarity/fear of the firearm can be overcome, and the most appropriate firearm for the individual can be determined. Simply going to a store and picking based on other people's advice often results in the wrong firearm being selected for the individual. This can adversely affect the individual's ability to control the weapon, fire accurately, avoid tragedy, and save live(s). How well the weapon and owner are matched will also affect how much the person is willing train/maintain skills. Firing a weapon accurately is a perishable skill. This is also why buying one firearm to be used by both a husband and wife is usually a bad idea, and it is usually the wife, who struggles with a firearm that is a good fit for the husband, but not her. Hand size, alone, can mean two different guns, even of the same caliber and make, are needed for both to be the safest and most effective possible.

As retired law enforcement and retired military, I have an obligation to my family, church, church family, and community. Ego, I have a gun. I also have skills of observation, de-escalation, less lethal force, etc.. so I am not limited to just one course of action should a need arise. Most importantly, the knowledge of when/where to use (and not use) what. Good concealed carry classes teach some of these same skills at a civilian level. Even if a person does not think he/she will ever carry outside the house, the classes are important for many reasons other than shooting and getting a card/endorsement. Situations change, sometimes very rapidly, so having the option of carrying outside the house could become important with little or no warning (or time to obtain a concealed carry permit).

Oh, God, how much longer :cry
Dear God, please hurry up!!! Please send Your Son, Jesus Christ, back soon quickly tonight :pray :pray :amen :amen :rapture :rapture

:armor :pray :bible :pray :amen :knight

:bible Ephesians 6:10-20
Excellent!

My wife and I each have our own handgun. She can fire mine, but she cant rack the weapon to chamber a round, as her hand strength is weak.

Knowledge is everything in deciding to carry a weapon. Lack of knowledge could land someone in jail for many years.

Anybody can fire at a target, but not everybody could pull the trigger at another person.

fl2007rn

Excellent!

My wife and I each have our own handgun. She can fire mine, but she cant rack the weapon to chamber a round, as her hand strength is weak.

Knowledge is everything in deciding to carry a weapon. Lack of knowledge could land someone in jail for many years.

Anybody can fire at a target, but not everybody could pull the trigger at another person.
I am like your wife and have trouble racking the slide on my husband's 40 cal or 9 mm so I prefer to use the 38 special. When we go to the range for practice my husband has to rack the gun for me but I can shoot it.