Should a Christian own a gun?

ReadyOrNot

Even if someone thought they could never shoot another human being, a gun might come in handy in the form of a ‘warning shot’ if there is an angry mob roaming a neighborhood to force their way into a home to get at supplies/food. I think they’d avoid the house with a gun owner who has fired a warning shot in the air. That’s a stretch, I know, but at this point almost nothing would surprise me!

borrowedtime

Even if someone thought they could never shoot another human being, a gun might come in handy in the form of a ‘warning shot’ if there is an angry mob roaming a neighborhood to force their way into a home to get at supplies/food. I think they’d avoid the house with a gun owner who has fired a warning shot in the air. That’s a stretch, I know, but at this point almost nothing would surprise me!

That’s the problem.

“Warning shots” could very well be outlawed in your state. They are outlawed in Texas.

Andy C

As Borrowed Time stated, a warning shot is illegal. The round fired as a warning has to land somewhere, and that could end tragically.

borrowedtime

Good to know. I had no idea. Is it ok to just wave the gun around? I don’t have one, but I’m just curious.

Like Andy said.

Pretty much most states have it written out anything other than shooting means you werent afraid for your life. It’s a horrible standard.

When I lived in Nevada my brother (he was metro out there) warned me that if I had to discharge in my house to put a good amount of bullets in the perp. Apparently if I shot one round and killed the perp it would appear to the DA my military training somehow meant I wasn’t afraid.

Last edited:

sawas

Good to know. I had no idea. Is it ok to just wave the gun around? I don’t have one, but I’m just curious.

As it happens, those who (honestly) track firearm self-defense statistics indicate that brandishing a gun will often end or defuse a conflict situation. BUT, that is NEVER, EVER, EVER recommended for the simple reason that it can JUST AS EASILY ESCALATE a conflict situation. Then what do you do?

As to the law, in most jurisdictions the act of brandishing may be considered to be an improper exhibition of a firearm, if not actual assault, depending on local laws and the circumstances in which it occurred. (See more info here.)

All firearms and defense training experts will tell you to never carry a weapon that you aren't prepared to use. And, like any dangerous tool, even having one at home is a danger for those who don't know how and why to use it.

fl2007rn

If you live in a state that allows it and decide to own a firearm, I'd highly suggest going for your concealed permit, even if you never plan to carry a concealed weapon or even own a handgun. Reasons for that are first and foremost the training that comes as part of the package, including safety, responsibility, moral considerations, and legal. Having the carry permit also helps with purchasing and makes it less likely that you'll inadvertently break the law when transporting a weapon. I have mine, but rarely carry since my employer forbids weapons on their property and I would be fired if found out.
My husband and I RARELY carry our weapon or have it in the car even though we both have our concealed carry permit here in Florida. We live next to an air force base and we are always using the commissary, BX, pharmacy, etc and it is illegal to bring a gun onto the base. Also, it is not lawful here in Florida to bring a gun into a restaurant that has a bar in it. Chili's would be a good example of a restaurant that has a bar inside. There are many rules of where you can and cannot carry, so our guns are mostly for protection in our home or to go shooting at the range.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
My husband and I RARELY carry our weapon or have it in the car even though we both have our concealed carry permit here in Florida. We live next to an air force base and we are always using the commissary, BX, pharmacy, etc and it is illegal to bring a gun onto the base.

In Alaska, under state law we're all allowed to conceal carry or open carry. The reason I don't is because I frequently go to the local Army Post Commissary... and like you say, we can't take our firearms onto the Post. I don't remember what I had to do when living on Air Force bases because I always at least had an old S&W pistol that I used when I was a Sheriff's Deputy early in my life. I probably had to register it or something but I just don't remember what I had to do, if anything...

Jan51

I have never had a desire to shoot, although my husband has always had guns and our boys grew up shooting; both now have numerous guns and their whole families shoot well. But when my husband passed away in December, the boys insisted I learn, for protection in the event of home invasion. I knew they were right so agreed to. I have a revolver and a .22 but decided to get a youth (shorter and lighter) bolt action 20 gauge shotgun. I ordered it 2 months ago but due to the covid situation, my background check has not gone through. So I've been paying for lessons with the guns I have.

I have been told, don't even pick one up unless you are prepared to shoot to kill. If they are breaking in, don't say anything, you don't have to warn them that you are armed, do not shoot until they are actually in the house, then don't stop shooting till the gun is empty. When the cops arrive, only say, "I was afraid for my life."

I found that I am a decent shot and better with the .22. My Heritage Roughrider revolver shoots .22's but has another cylinder for .22 mags, which, until I get my shotgun, it will be loaded with and kept in my bedroom. The back door is in view from my side of the bed. I liked the idea that someone outside would hear me rack the shotgun and that might be enough to scare them off. I will keep the rifle loaded also and in the corner. Now that I am totally responsible for my own safety, I have no qualms as a Christian about shooting someone who would be breaking and entering, since the alternative could be rape, serious bodily harm, or death. It would be a horrible thing to have to kill someone, but it is a matter of the lesser of two evils.

fl2007rn

In Alaska, under state law we're all allowed to conceal carry or open carry. The reason I don't is because I frequently go to the local Army Post Commissary... and like you say, we can't take our firearms onto the Post. I don't remember what I had to do when living on Air Force bases because I always at least had an old S&W pistol that I used when I was a Sheriff's Deputy early in my life. I probably had to register it or something but I just don't remember what I had to do, if anything...
We have an RV and have camped quite a bit on different military bases in the south east (Fort Jackson, Fort Knox, Charleston AFB, Key West Navy base, Kings Bay Navy Base, etc). All bases require you to report the weapon at the entry gate and they store it in the base armory for the length of your stay. Needless to say it is a hassle to carry a gun on base so we don't bother.

Saguaro

Have an Exit Strategy_ I Thessalonians iv 17
Absolutely,,, Nevada is Constitutional Carry

https://www.nevadacarry.org/concealed-carry.html

The local gun store will help your husband and you find an handgun or a self defense weapon that will fit your needs and help you learn all about safety and the local laws governing your firearms

It not a privilege granted by some giverment paper pusher , it is a God given right.

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
I think they’d avoid the house with a gun owner who has fired a warning shot in the air.
Like others have said it is against the law to fire a shot in the air. Our city has installed technology called ShotSpotter , it notifies Police within 20 seconds with location of the shot fired, it actually works faster than dialing 911. Police have very good success with this technology and made many arrests.

Jonathan

That’s the problem.

“Warning shots” could very well be outlawed in your state. They are outlawed in Texas.
The legal reasoning goes, at least in my state, is that if you are NOT immediately in fear of your life or limb (or another innocent person) you cannot shoot at another person because If you WERE in immediate fear of your life and limb you would never fire a warning shot.

At least that is the way the logic goes.

Last edited:

borrowedtime

The legal reasoning goes, at least in my state, is that if you are NOT immediately in fear of your life or limb (or another innocent person) you cannot shoot at another person because If you ARE in immediate fear of your life and limb you would never fire a warning shot.

Yeah. And that’s kinda what my brother hinted at in Nevada with multiple shots vs 2 shots.

As a Christian it puts us in tight positioning since we would rather warn than kill.

I usually limit myself to people rushing me in a over hostile manner and then intruders of any kind in my house as if in either situation a miscalculation could be catastrophic.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
The legal reasoning goes, at least in my state, is that if you are NOT immediately in fear of your life or limb (or another innocent person) you cannot shoot at another person because If you WERE in immediate fear of your life and limb you would never fire a warning shot.

I love all this great advice and hope all who know about the law regarding guns keep it coming.

I am not advising anyone to do what I would, as it may cause them to get arrested. However, if my life or the life of my family is in danger, I personally am going to do whatever I think is best at the time and deal with the consequences later. Probably not the smartest move, but just being honest. :shrug

Last edited: