Shortages in your area

TimeWarpWife

This little mom and pop restaurant I love to go to hasn't been able to get the beef for their Texas Beef BBQ platters for the past two weeks. :gaah This happened a couple of months ago too. I talked to "Pop" yesterday and he doesn't know when they'll be getting another order in. He puts the order in, but the company he purchases it from tells him they're out and they don't have any idea when they'll be able to fill his order.

fl2007rn

There is a shortage of new and used cars. I had a 2018 Honda Hybrid Accord with low milage and I traded it in and got $2k more for it than when I bought the car!

There is also a shortage of golf carts for sale here in Florida. We have a 2010 golf cart and the batteries died out. We have been looking to replace it and there are few new golf carts to be found and when you do the prices are astronomical.

The same shortages apply to motor homes and travel trailers!

Andy C

There is a shortage of new and used cars. I had a 2018 Honda Hybrid Accord with low milage and I traded it in and got $2k more for it than when I bought the car!

There is also a shortage of golf carts for sale here in Florida. We have a 2010 golf cart and the batteries died out. We have been looking to replace it and there are few new golf carts to be found and when you do the prices are astronomical.

The same shortages apply to motor homes and travel trailers!
Golf carts….We once spent 10 days at a big Myrtle Beach SC RV resort, with approx 700 RV sites. At night, the teenagers would drive through the park with their families “tricked out” golf carts. It was fun to watch, and reminded me of my teen years when us boys would cruise up and down certain streets, trying to impress the ladies.

We have been looking to trade in one of our cars for a full size SUV, but most of the lots dont have them on site, but are on order. Slimp Pickens trying to find certain new cars.

I also sold a truck last year that I bought 2 years prior, and recieved 4-5K more than I paid for it.

Mocha Latte

Electric bicycles (they're flying out of the stores as fast as they get them in, too)
Commuter-type bicycles (medium and high-end ones flying out of the bike stores as fast as they get them in)
Some bicycle accessories
Yes, bikes have been in very short supply since the start of lockdowns. Businesses that rent bikes out put in orders and it has taken 1.5 - 2 years to get an order filled. It’s crazy.

And in other news, I keep seeing cream cheese mentioned in this thread and I agree here too….I can’t find cream cheese anywhere.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
And of course, the price of eggs has about doubled.

Our egg prices are up only about 10-15%, at least for the no frills kind. Ours come from Washington and I think we pay less up here because we don't have any requirements on the farm insofar as living space for the hens, etc. We may pay less up here for eggs than folks in Washington do...

I've noticed that there have been long term shortages of store branded items of all kinds of things. Lots of empty spaces on shelves throughout the stores, and especially at the military commissary. The empty space locations change regularly based on what shipments arrive and what doesn't, but it seems stores aren't able to become fully stocked with all of the good they normally carry.

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
We have been looking to trade in one of our cars for a full size SUV, but most of the lots dont have them on site, but are on order. Slimp Pickens trying to find certain new cars.

I also sold a truck last year that I bought 2 years prior, and recieved 4-5K more than I paid for it.
A few months ago the auto dealer where we bought or 4Runner wanted to but it back, I talked to them and was amazed at the offer so we decided to sell it. Since then we have been looking for a low mileage SUV and just found one this week and it is being shipped to our city and we should have it in about 10 days. The salesman said most dealers are so in need of low mileage SUV's that they are buying out the leases on leased vehicles so they can be sold, the salesman said he has never seen this happen(20 years in business).

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Had a driver of a big SUV "looking" at my Prius when we were at the pumps recently . . . he was positively green :lol

Not sure if it was envy or sick from his bill :yikes

madcat

A few months ago the auto dealer where we bought or 4Runner wanted to but it back, I talked to them and was amazed at the offer so we decided to sell it. Since then we have been looking for a low mileage SUV and just found one this week and it is being shipped to our city and we should have it in about 10 days. The salesman said most dealers are so in need of low mileage SUV's that they are buying out the leases on leased vehicles so they can be sold, the salesman said he has never seen this happen(20 years in business).
I have just had my Venza Hybrid for a year, and just got THREE requests to sell it back to the dealership. With only 7500 miles on it, I could have gotten a HUGE profit over what it cost me.
I kindly replied that I was sympathetic to their situation, but when I see 59 MPG on my display after doing some nearby errands -
NOBODY is getting my SUV!!!!!! (of course DH cancels me out since he insisted on getting a Turbo :mad:).

Ghoti Ichthus

I have just had my Venza Hybrid for a year, and just got THREE requests to sell it back to the dealership. With only 7500 miles on it, I could have gotten a HUGE profit over what it cost me.
I kindly replied that I was sympathetic to their situation, but when I see 59 MPG on my display after doing some nearby errands -
NOBODY is getting my SUV!!!!!! (of course DH cancels me out since he insisted on getting a Turbo :mad:).

The dealership where Dad got his car keeps on sending him emails wanting to buy his car. They know he's elderly and the car's in good shape and gets all the preventive maintenance done, so they could make a huge profit on it. Nope. He's keeping his car. If, at some point he can't drive anymore, he'll still need the car for someone else to drive him to wherever he needs to go.

Same issue as the used car shortage is the house shortage. Dad keeps on getting letters and cards from people wanting to buy his house. It was really bad right after Mom died. I wish people would just wait for the For Sale sign. People have no idea how upsetting correspondence like this can be :furious :rant :mad :wild :frust :cry

heisable2

Baguettes from Canada. I buy them at Publix and they were four to a package. None to be seen and Publix isn't expecting any anytime soon.

Thought I'd buy a few big trays of chicken wings so that I could cut off the little drummett and use the other part of the wing to make soup. But I can't find any. I'm patient. I'll wait.

I started prepping in 2021. Currently the only time I need to go shopping is to stock up on produce, dairy, chicken or meat. 2023 doesn't look good. I hope that those of you that have not done any prepping to start doing it right now before it's too late. Look online to see what it is that you need and then just do it. Don't forget the non food items too.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
2023 doesn't look good. I hope that those of you that have not done any prepping to start doing it right now before it's too late. Look online to see what it is that you need and then just do it. Don't forget the non food items too.

Years ago I bought a couple of tubs of freeze dried food from Sam's Club for emergency provisions. I decided to taste the food. I chose something relatively safe, or so I thought, rice and beans. It was horrible, uneatable unless you're starving to death. It wasn't because it was freeze dried. I've eaten lots of freeze dried food over the course of my life. It was just a poor product. I think I'll toss both buckets of freeze dried food out next time I'm in Cheyenne (that's where it is at the moment).

Salt, beans, and rice are three things that I make sure to have a little extra of. I see water as the biggest potential issue but just don't see myself storing water as a meaningful quantity would take up more space than we'll have.

interior Alaska has been short on dairy products lately. A little more than usual, maybe. Safeway always seems to be out of their store brand loaves of bread when I want a loaf.

Ghoti Ichthus

I started prepping in 2021. Currently the only time I need to go shopping is to stock up on produce, dairy, chicken or meat. 2023 doesn't look good. I hope that those of you that have not done any prepping to start doing it right now before it's too late. Look online to see what it is that you need and then just do it. Don't forget the non food items too.

Yeah, don't forget the dish soap and TP :lol

I've always kept a little extra of what we normally use so if the store is out of something, or something happens that I can't get to the store, there's some in the pantry, fridge, or freezer. I keep a little more if it doesn't need refrigerator or freezer for storage and it won't spoil, so if the power goes out for awhile, we still have stuff we like available until the power comes back on. I also buy extra on sale and use coupons, points, etc. to help keep costs down. I've been a lot more careful to have stuff on-hand in case we we end up sequentially sick and can't go anywhere for a few weeks, but only buy and rotate what we normally use so it does get used before it expires and things don't go to waste.

A couple cases of water don't take up much room, and good to have on-hand in case of a boil order, water main break, well pump problem, etc. Several cases can be stacked in the same floor space as one or two (exactly how many depends in great part upon the sturdiness of the bottle the bottler used, and whether or not there's a cardboard "floor" under the bottles in the cases; some bottles have gotten very, very flimsy lately). Rotate, and keep in a cool, dry, dark environment. The water was really bad in Missouri, so I used exclusively bottled water for human and animal consumption, so kept a lot more on-hand there. You can also get gallon and 5-gallon sealed or refill filtered/purified water at the grocery. And you can can water so it's in non-toxic glass jars (make sure Ball or Kerr brand jars and lids, or maybe Tattler lids (made in America)). Good (cheap) way to learn to can, and can keep the jars corralled in the cartons and stacked in a small footprint (out-of-the-way and not too tall so they don't fall and break)

Keeping a few 7-gallon Aquatainers (Rei and sometimes WalMart) filled with tap water (rotated every 6 months), again in a cool, dry, dark place, is inexpensive, and can be used for drinking, hygiene, or flushing toilets if a water outage lasts a few days or a week. How much water depends on household size (people and animals) and what is most likely to happen where you are. Sometimes extra needed on-hand in case of a known problem headed your way, such as a hurricane.

There are government and non-government websites devoted to the topic of disaster preparedness, too. Verify information you're using, especially with regard to water, sanitation, and food.

Last edited:
Back