Sexual violence: most hidden crime during the Ukrainian war

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
What's the most "hidden crime" the Russian soldiers have committed during the war?
By LAURA KING/LOS ANGELES TIMES
Published: AUGUST 25, 2022

The Russian soldier taunted her: Your friend, he sneered, is lying on the floor, raped and naked and dead.

S., a Ukrainian writer and government worker in her early 60s, froze at his words. Her neighbor Tetiana, a bold, dark-haired 37-year-old widow, had quickly attracted the attention of Russian soldiers who, within days of the February 24 invasion, captured and occupied the small town of Makariv, about 48 km. west of the capital, Kyiv.

“She would defy them,” said S., still shaken and sorrowful as she described the harrowing events of five months earlier, before late-winter chill gave way to spring, then high summer. “She would tell them: ‘I’m not afraid of you.’”

Weeks would pass before the outside world learned of the horrors that occurred in streets and basements and back gardens of these once-tranquil suburbs and satellite towns, which were occupied for roughly a month before Russian forces in early April broke off a failed bid to seize the capital.

more.............. https://www.jpost.com/opinion/article-715524

depserv

This is something that seems to always accompany lawlessness, with the lawlessness of war being a common example, and the lawlessness in prisons being another one. To me it's a reminder that sexuality can be a window into much evil if it is not constrained by adherence to God's law, and it's why sexual sin is mentioned as much as it is in the Bible.

When evil men are convinced that they can get away with such things they commit these acts. We hear rumors of child sex trafficking involving men in the top tiers of our society, and not only what was done by Epstein; this is another form of the same thing.

The commonality of this kind of crime where lawlessness prevails is a reminder of why good people should be organized and armed for the common defense. This kind of violence could be in our future, given the amount of hatred that has been implanted into the hearts of massive herds of indoctrinated cattle.

NewWine2020

What's the most "hidden crime" the Russian soldiers have committed during the war?
By LAURA KING/LOS ANGELES TIMES
Published: AUGUST 25, 2022

The Russian soldier taunted her: Your friend, he sneered, is lying on the floor, raped and naked and dead.

S., a Ukrainian writer and government worker in her early 60s, froze at his words. Her neighbor Tetiana, a bold, dark-haired 37-year-old widow, had quickly attracted the attention of Russian soldiers who, within days of the February 24 invasion, captured and occupied the small town of Makariv, about 48 km. west of the capital, Kyiv.

“She would defy them,” said S., still shaken and sorrowful as she described the harrowing events of five months earlier, before late-winter chill gave way to spring, then high summer. “She would tell them: ‘I’m not afraid of you.’”

Weeks would pass before the outside world learned of the horrors that occurred in streets and basements and back gardens of these once-tranquil suburbs and satellite towns, which were occupied for roughly a month before Russian forces in early April broke off a failed bid to seize the capital.

more.............. https://www.jpost.com/opinion/article-715524

I hate this war.

I know it happens in all wars, but the Russians have a rep for themselves dating at least back to the USSR period; this kind of conduct is tolerated and condoned by the officer corps almost as if rape were a "perk" of war.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I hate this war.

I know it happens in all wars, but the Russians have a rep for themselves dating at least back to the USSR period; this kind of conduct is tolerated and condoned by the officer corps almost as if rape were a "perk" of war.

Most Armies historically have regarded RAPEKILLPILLAGEANDBURN as perks of war :apostasy :furious :rant :mad :wild :frust :cry
Officers select/cull the prettiest for themselves and let the troops loose on the rest.

Even the US Army has at least one cadence call that includes RAPEKILLPILLAGEANDBURN. Not PC, but there it is. Not called when females around (unless there's only one :lol

Most in the West haven't seen this kind of atrocity except recently on TV in the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Most people that saw it up-close-and-personal during WWII are dead or elderly and won't/don't talk about it. What happened in Croatia/Bosnia/Herzegovina wasn't televised and online like Ukraine has been, it isn't PC for the media to report and broadcast what happens during/in conjunction with mass migrations (invasions), and Western media just doesn't cover what happens in Africa and Asia because "no one" here cares (aka, no money/ratings in it).

:pray :pray :amen :amen

NewWine2020

Most Armies historically have regarded RAPEKILLPILLAGEANDBURN as perks of war :apostasy :furious :rant :mad :wild :frust :cry
Officers select/cull the prettiest for themselves and let the troops loose on the rest.

Even the US Army has at least one cadence call that includes RAPEKILLPILLAGEANDBURN. Not PC, but there it is. Not called when females around (unless there's only one :lol

Most in the West haven't seen this kind of atrocity except recently on TV in the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Most people that saw it up-close-and-personal during WWII are dead or elderly and won't/don't talk about it. What happened in Croatia/Bosnia/Herzegovina wasn't televised and online like Ukraine has been, it isn't PC for the media to report and broadcast what happens during/in conjunction with mass migrations (invasions), and Western media just doesn't cover what happens in Africa and Asia because "no one" here cares (aka, no money/ratings in it).

:pray :pray :amen :amen

I think the media did actually do a better job of "getting the word out" about this facet of war during the Bosnia/Hertzgovina conflict, it was in the context of portraying the (nominally) Russian Orthodox Serbians, especially the private militias of individual Serb War lords, as "the new Nazi's" to dehumanize them to the point that the American public was AOK with lobbing cruise missiles and dropping cluster munitions on them.

I know the Bosnian Muslims also committed war crimes, but the serbs actually had, real honest to goodness, documented "rape camps" for the captive Muslim women. It's one of the few times I've actually empathized and sided with a Muslim people in a military conflict. I would not want the Serbians as my ally under any circumstances, I'd rather fight alongside non Christians who maintain a code of honor.

There has always been something in me that has considered mass rape of the vulnerable members of the enemy population to be morally worse than simply killing them. It's a very hateful tactic and is designed to "break the will of the subjugated populace". In many traditional cultures, this makes it so that the rape survivor is rejected and cast off from their community which never made sense to me, it seems like this happens mostly in patriarchal cultures. But the point is, they ARE essentially sentencing these women and children to fates worse than simple death. THESE are the refugees Europe and the USA should be taking in, not able-bodied, military age Muslim men.

All I think it does is create the desire for vengeance that motivates the violence to continue for multiple generations.

And sexual violence is not JUST committed on women, men can be victims as well. There is a Russian soldier out there with a box cutter that committed a particularly needlessly cruel atrocity on a helpless Ukrainian prisoner (and FILMED IT for social media) that has probably lessened the chances of survival for any Russians or Russian mercs captured by the Ukrainians a great deal.

If I was a Ukrainian in charge of Russian POW's in this conflict, even as a Christian, knowing the nature of the invader, my definition of what constituted "the prisoner was trying to escape" would be VERY liberal and general, I think I'd almost be wanting them to try so I had an excuse to end them. May God help me but I'll bet a lot of people feel this way.

Ghoti Ichthus

I think the media did actually do a better job of "getting the word out" about this facet of war during the Bosnia/Hertzgovina conflict, it was in the context of portraying the (nominally) Russian Orthodox Serbians, especially the private militias of individual Serb War lords, as "the new Nazi's" to dehumanize them to the point that the American public was AOK with lobbing cruise missiles and dropping cluster munitions on them.

I know the Bosnian Muslims also committed war crimes, but the serbs actually had, real honest to goodness, documented "rape camps" for the captive Muslim women. It's one of the few times I've actually empathized and sided with a Muslim people in a military conflict. I would not want the Serbians as my ally under any circumstances, I'd rather fight alongside non Christians who maintain a code of honor.

I don't know what the media here said about it in B-H because I was stationed in Europe at that time.

MapleLeaf

The most hidden crime in every war, except those cases when it's not hidden.

Even some of the "good guys" in WWII.
My German grandmother told me of the gang rapes by the red, white and blue soldiers. Girls were left unable to walk from it. It could have even be herself as she told me in detail about a girl who had to army crawl her way home afterwards because that's all she had the strength for. She did see awful things done to others though. I know she was raped by the Soviets before she and her surviving family members were able to flee into Germany. She was a very young girl. And they were always after her because she was very pretty.

MapleLeaf

They will be held accountable and I take great comfort in that. If the Psalmist openly revels and takes comfort in his enemies getting justice from the Lord (not himself) then I can too. "Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord". Where possible, we apply the law, but when that fails us we still can count on Him. All the more reason people need to repent.

Ghoti Ichthus

Sadly, as a young unsaved Marine, this was one chant we sang while running. Since then, cadence like this one and others have been banned.
Banned doesn't necessarily not used [sigh]

It is known to science and military leaders that vigorous physical exercise combined with cadence (responsive singing/chanting) is an excellent way to indoctrinate troops. Not just morale, esprit de corps, motivation, team building, or taking mind off pain. Or punishment. Mass/group indoctrination and inculcation of culture.

Wally

Do You Believe ?
In war, passion for one's homeland can be ignited and cause a fire that has no boundaries.

Collaborators and perpetrators of war are seen as less than human and sometimes a soldier's conduct towards them becomes vengeance.
Both sides of any conflict fall prey to anger fueled hate crimes.

It does seem the USSR has more to answer for as their propaganda rhetoric, their inclusion of criminals in the ranks, and the muslin [chechen] ethos of combat continually de humanize all opponents and even reward those of the most savage of conduct.

But then some would be so bold to judge God in the same manner. Old testament battles were brutal.

However God is holy and knows the depravity of man. His hand has been stayed many times from delivering what we deserve.

If only men could grasp the mercy involved in God's relationship with man.
Yet the very season we are in says little of thankfulness for the harvest and more of the love of death.

Take time to consider our state. Our proneness to anger, judgement, retribution.

It doesn't excuse those who commit such crimes. But we must seek justice not hateful revenge.

Ghoti Ichthus

Rape is used as a weapon of war. It's intended to demoralize and terrorize civilians, and to a lesser degree, the male troops away from their families trapped/remaining in war zones or close-by. Troops in many places and cultures are taught rape is a right and a perk.

Also, they are looking for use for high testosterone levels associated with battle. This is part of why very high levels of prostitution in war zones and camp following historically. Violence, physical exertion, and emotions associated with combat cause males to excrete very high levels of testosterone. This helps both physically and mentally with winning and survival on the battlefield due to how the human body works.

In all cases, rape is a deplorable, abominable sin against both the victim(s) and against the rapist's own body.