Sewer Vents

Free in Christ

Each year with cold weather our sewer vents freeze on the roof and that creates unpleasant odors and is potential unsafe. I have tried several things but cannot seem to find consistent results.

Any of you who live in colder climates who have found something that works?

mattfivefour

Having lived for 22 years on the Canadian prairies in the 70s, 80s and 90s I know what you are speaking of. It can pose a serious health problem. The well-known handyman Jon Eakes has an article on his blog on vent stack ice capping. Just Google his name and that phrase and you will find he has numerous suggestions. Perhaps one will work for you. Good luck.

GEOINTAnalyst

Probably need to wrap insulation around the vent pipe in the attic - the main issue is usually too much heat loss which causes the wet air inside your vent pipe to freeze, especially if it is a metal pipe it loses heat faster the ABS or PVC piping - of course if it is snow covered that is different you can making it vent pipe longer outside the roof may help - when I was station in England I had this issue and insulating the pipe worked for me.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I've never had that problem. I think what @GEOINTAnalyst recommends is the likely solution. My house is super insulated, including below the roof, which is probably why I haven't had the problem. I have high ceilings in lieu of an attic and between the ceiling and the outer roof there's something like 30 inches of different layers of insulation.

pixelpusher

I've never had that problem. I think what @GEOINTAnalyst recommends is the likely solution. My house is super insulated, including below the roof, which is probably why I haven't had the problem. I have high ceilings in lieu of an attic and between the ceiling and the outer roof there's something like 30 inches of different layers of insulation.
I bet you have insulation, at least a little bit. Your R-factor is probaby in X-territory.