Severe winter storm

Geri7

:pray: for you Kem. That your power doesn't go out and that you and your family are safe. :hug I can't imagine all that snow! :shocked Take it easy with the shoveling - only do a little at a time.

I'm ashamed to say I was complaining Monday with just a light dusting of snow :lol: the extreme cold temps and wind blowing in my face as I was pushing the garbage cans 2 1/2 acres down the driveway. We had a power outage on Monday afternoon for about 3 1/2 hrs. Apparently a tree came down on the power lines in the area and during that time frame our house got very cold. I was getting ready to start the wood burning stove in the basement but was glad the power got restored. I hate winter!

Kem

Citizen
Trying to clear out the driveway is just too much for dh. A friend with a backhoe is coming later when the driving ban is lifted, if it is lifted. Here are a few pics.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

ReadyforSupper

Both sons have called to make sure we are ok though the one in Charleston, SC likely couldn't do much from there. lol Actually I think he really wanted to try again to persuade us to move down there. lol
I think that's a good idea sis! I too, cannot wrap my mind around cold like that!

It doesn't get cold here until mid Jan, but it's cold now for the first time since I was little.

It's miserable to be cold. I pray you're all safe and your neighbors are all safe and warm and that everyone has plenty to eat.

RonJohnSilver

I have a question for all of you north-dwellers. A serious question from someone who has spent their life in the south. Why, when it snows so heavily, do people sweep, scoop, shovel or blow away the snow, especially from the sidewalks? The roofs I understand and I can see driveways as well, but the sidewalks? It's not as if anyone is coming to visit. Is it a code type thing?

araj54

I have a question for all of you north-dwellers. A serious question from someone who has spent their life in the south. Why, when it snows so heavily, do people sweep, scoop, shovel or blow away the snow, especially from the sidewalks? The roofs I understand and I can see driveways as well, but the sidewalks? It's not as if anyone is coming to visit. Is it a code type thing?
Yup. Most all cities and towns have codes concerning sidewalk snow removal for homeowners and businesses.

vmoon

Yup. Most all cities and towns have codes concerning sidewalk snow removal for homeowners and businesses.
OK... here's another question from a southerner...Where do you put all that snow once you shovel it off the sidewalks? Street? yard? Neighbor's yard? :hehheh

araj54

Homeowners shovel it into their yards, not allowed to put in the street.
Business do push it into the street and the plows push it into piles and it is generally trucked away
when it get too much. Varies from location to location, of course.

kobaan

Homeowners shovel it into their yards, not allowed to put in the street.
Business do push it into the street and the plows push it into piles and it is generally trucked away
when it get too much. Varies from location to location, of course.
I live in Michigan and in my town plows are not allowed to push snow into the road or even push it across the road. It just gets shoved up into the yard or a corner of the parking lot (business). Sidewalks must be cleared by the homeowner so kids don't walk in the streets. If the homeowner does not shovel the sidewalk the city will send someone out to do it, but the fees will show up on the tax bill. Most often a good neighbor will shovel for the elderly.