Seventh Day Adventist

rks7777

Not sure this is the right spot for this question. What’s the story with seventh-day Adventist’s? They seem to be extremely dogmatic about Saturday being the sabbath. They peg the RCC as Babylon and all other denominations as “daughters” of the RCC. From what I can gather you may be a Christian if you are say a Baptist but you are being deceived first and for most by not worshipping on the real Sabbath. That the RCC “changed times” by moving worship from Saturday to Sunday. They seem very sure if themselves and the rest of us are deceived. Curious if anyone has any insight to the seventh day Adventist’s.

Annie

Be A Berean!
I have a bit of firsthand knowledge other than the link I posted as my ex and his family were of this belief. And they thought that "I" had problems as I had been raised in the RCC :lol ... little did I know what a mess I had gotten myself into :doh That was years ago but I don't recall seeing any Christian love in that group. Their Ellen White seems to be more important to them than Jesus... makes me think of the Pope to the RCC and Joseph Smith to the Mormons.

Eric Nicholas

I have a bit of firsthand knowledge other than the link I posted as my ex and his family were of this belief. And they thought that "I" had problems as I had been raised in the RCC :lol ... little did I know what a mess I had gotten myself into :doh That was years ago but I don't recall seeing any Christian love in that group. Their Ellen White seems to be more important to them than Jesus... makes me think of the Pope to the RCC and Joseph Smith to the Mormons.
I'm glad you are away from both of those.

Also, I'll sic the Baptist Italians on that bunch. Hehehehehehe... :heh

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
Yup ...as far as am aware the SDAs treat Ellen G Whites writings/visions as their prophetess ....so I kinda put it in the same bucket whether it's the "great controversy" of White or the "great disappointment" of the Millerites ....I put SDA and White in the same category as JWs and Taze Russell, Mormon and Joseph Smith etc etc etc ....ie anything where a movement plays "follow the leader" with a single person at the top of the tree who insists God told them they are the true church ...and they have their own book or writings alongside their twisted view of scripture ....

Usually the main things to spot being - do they lower God's deity (eg don't believe in the Trinity), heighten man's status (little gods or becoming gods), encourage gnosticism, not the true Biblical Jesus, the leader claims they had an experience that "trumps scripture" or changes scripture to "their version ....here I could bring up the "New Apostolic Reformation" but I won't ....oops just did!!)

Did a mini cult research about a year ago but then stopped as it got heavy ....

Name Follow the leader
SDA White
Scientology Hubbard
Christian Science Baker Eddy
JW Taze Russell
Mormon Smith
Worldwide church of God Armstrong
Branhamites Branham

Last edited:

GEOINTAnalyst

There is a really good book - called "Kingdom of the Cults" by Walter Martin This book is a crucial tool in countercult ministry and in evangelism. Among cults and religions included are: Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormonism, New Age Cults, the Unification Church, Baha'i Faith, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, and many more. It delves into their basic beliefs and history

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace
Their one problem...

James 2:10 KJV
[10] For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Galatians 3:10 KJV
[10] For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

sawas

Not sure this is the right spot for this question. What’s the story with seventh-day Adventist’s? They seem to be extremely dogmatic about Saturday being the sabbath. They peg the RCC as Babylon and all other denominations as “daughters” of the RCC. From what I can gather you may be a Christian if you are say a Baptist but you are being deceived first and for most by not worshipping on the real Sabbath. That the RCC “changed times” by moving worship from Saturday to Sunday. They seem very sure if themselves and the rest of us are deceived. Curious if anyone has any insight to the seventh day Adventist’s.

Can't add much to what has already been (well) said, but for a couple of points. Had to refresh my own understanding of the details due to family questions after a recent visit from another relative (my uncle). My father was having serious problems understanding their political differences, which I noted always reflects an underlying difference in (spiritual) world views, i.e. to what "radio" frequency are folks tuned.

Anyway, I'm inclined to avoid strenuous assertions about whether individual members of various (so-called) Christian denominations could possibly be saved. But, on the other hand, I am likely to suggest that members in good standing at churches that hold to heretical and/or unorthodox beliefs make that extremely unlikely. The SDA, in my view, lies outside the tent of orthodoxy, for all of the reasons already noted.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Cult. They follow a prophetess. Caught up in legalism regarding sabbath keeping and health foods.

Their greatest heresy is that they were wrong about the return of Christ back in 1844 so they had to "spiritualize" what happened back then in order to make it still seem true (you know what they say about a prophet being wrong). They did this by saying Jesus didn't literally return, he spiritually ascended to the "heavenly tabernacle." Now he is still working, investigating and judging Christ professing believers (His work wasn't finished on the Cross? All sins were not forgiven by Christ's sacrifice? Was it not enough?) to see what their eternal destiny will be.

This article will tell you all you need to know.
https://www.raptureforums.com/cults-false-religions/seventh-day-adventist-eschatology/

Truly a fascinating cult.

KenE@21B

Sometimes asking a question can bring perspective - mine would be: "What if a SDA was travelling overseas on a plane which crashed... and they woke up on a desert island, alone, not sure how long they've been unconscious and no way to tell the date\time.... how will they maintain their 'observation' of the Sabbath Day?"

If Saturday or Sunday is the biggest "thing" in their 'religious system' they have completely missed the point of the FINISHED WORK of Jesus Christ.

ozaprah

Sometimes asking a question can bring perspective - mine would be: "What if a SDA was travelling overseas on a plane which crashed... and they woke up on a desert island, alone, not sure how long they've been unconscious and no way to tell the date\time.... how will they maintain their 'observation' of the Sabbath Day?"
Awesome question!! One worth keeping in the memory banks for the next SDA conversation. Especially if asked with the right tone (genuine enquiry) rather than sarcasm. Similar to asking a JW on doorknocking duties 'when do they consider have they done enough to please God'? It's their underlying fear... they haven't done enough to please the organisation and escape the coming Armageddon.

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace
My guess is they would choose to rest every seventh day, praying that God would forgive them if they picked the wrong day. :idunno

borrowedtime

Bullet points about sda

- came from the Quakers who wrongly predicted end of the world. SDA gave “birth” to Jehovahs Witness

-teach soul sleep and is a strong point of contention with them

-The seal of God is the sabbath

-the rapture occurs after Jesus has finished judging everyone as we are currently in the great tribulation

-they preach grace but in reality the only way they know you’re saved is if you have changed your life style.

-water baptism is a must.

-fairly hostile to witness too. They are “the remanent” and when you preach “a different Jesus” to them they assume you are forcing them to take the Mark of the Beast (Sunday worship) and heavily resist.

pythons

As others have said they are a very unique group of folks who have a tremendous devotion to the Gregorian Saturn's day. Other things that they claim to have determined from "careful Bible study" & confirmation from their Prophet Ellen White are:

1. Rejection in the Doctrine of the Atonement​

Another error, even more generally endorsed than any of the foregoing, is the doctrine of the atonement on the cross. This also furnishes another support for Unitarianism. The Scriptures plainly teach that Christ died for all men. Now if his death on the cross was the atonement, then the sins of all men are atoned for, and all will be saved. The conclusion is unavoidable, and we deny the doctrine of the atonement on the cross, not because it leads to this belief, but because it is scripturally untrue, and then as an incentive for proclaiming its falsity we have the fact that it is a strong pillar for a destructive error. Sabbath Herald, August 29, 1865 No. 13.

2. Mutation Capable Creature Christ that could have sinned & eternally lost Salvation for Himself & eternally passed out of existence

Ellen White, Sabbath Herald, Jan 14, 1909
"We are to be partakers of knowledge. As I have seen pictures representing Satan coming to Christ in the wilderness of temptation in the form of a hideous monster, I have thought, How little the artists knew of the Bible! Before his fall, Satan was, next to Christ, the highest ANGEL in heaven."

Ellen White Desire of Ages page 49

Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss.”

Ellen White, L5,1900 SDA BC Volume 7,page 926
He became subject to temptation, endangering as it were, HIS DIVINE attributes. Satan sought, by the constant and curious devices of his cunning, to make Christ yield to temptation

Ellen White MS 99,1903 page 3,4
He had infinite power ONLY because He was perfectly obedient to His Father's will

Ellen White, DA 131

Then as the glories of the eternal home burst upon our enraptured senses we shall remember that Jesus left all this for us, that He not ONLY became an exile from the heavenly courts, but for us took the risk of failure AND eternal loss

Ellen White, GCB Dec 1, 1895

Remember that Christ risked all; "tempted like as we are," he staked EVEN his own eternal existence upon the issue of the conflict. Heaven itself was imperiled for our redemption.

Ellen White, SM book 1, page 256
Could Satan in the least particular have tempted Christ to sin, he would have bruised the Saviour's head. As it was, he could only touch His heel. Had the head of Christ been touched, the hope of the human race would have perished. Divine wrath would have come upon Christ as it came upon Adam. Christ and the church would have been without hope.”

Ellen White, SDA GBC 1 Dec 1895
Remember that Christ risked all; "tempted like as we are," he staked even his own eternal existence upon the issue of the conflict. Heaven itself was imperiled for our redemption. At the foot of the cross, remembering that for one sinner Jesus would have yielded up his life, we may estimate the value of a soul

3. The Doctrine of the Trinity as Catholic's, Lutherans, Baptists, Methodist's, Eastern Orthodox Christians understand it - i.e. Adventist groups reject the Nicene Creed as Babylon and a departure from what the Bible teaches.

James White ( Ellen's husband )
"We invite all to compare THE TESTIMONIES of the Holy Spirit THROUGH Mrs. White with the word of God. And in this we do not invite you to compare them with your creed. That is quite another thing. The TRINITARIAN may compare them with his creed, and because THEY DO NOT AGREE WITH IT, CONDEMN them [ the testimonies of Mrs. White ]. The Adventist Review & Sabbath Herald June 13, 1871

4. The Father or Father God has eternally had a flesh hominid body complete "with all the members and parts of a perfect man". Both Michael and Lucifer the archangels also possessed hominid flesh bodies with organs and parts prior to the Incarnation of Michael the archangel. This Doctrine was called "THE PERSONALITY OF GOD".

Sabbath Herald October 8, 1903
OF late the question has repeatedly come to me, Does it make any real difference whether we believe in the personality of God, as long as we believe in God? My answer invariably is, It depends altogether upon the standpoint from which we view it. If from the Spiritualist's, -the Christian Scientist's, the Universalist's, or if from the standpoint of any other " ist" or " ism," it makes but little or no difference. But from the standpoint of Seventh-day Adventists it makes all the difference in the world. Second^ At the creation God said to Christ, " Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. ... So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." Gen. 1: 26, 27. Man bore the image of God both morally and physically; for -after man sinned, we 'read'that Adam "begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth." Gen. 5:3. Here is an explanation of the words " image " and "- likeness." As Seth bore both the physical and the moral nature of Adam, so Adam bore the physical and the moral likeness of God.Neither was this image of God which man bore a mere concept; for the Bible declares that the Lord has parts, the same as the human body. Therefore we repeat what we previously said, To deny the personality of God, is to deny the existence of the sanctuary in the heavens; for there God dwells. It is to deny the existence of the angels; for they are his throne. It is to deny' the law of God; for it is the foundation of his throne. It is to deny the existence of Satan; for he is a fallen angel

Sabbath Herald Oct 8,1903
"The doctrine of the Personality of God IS the fundamental doctrine of the Scriptures..."
...""NEITHER was this image of God a mere concept; FOR the Bible declares that the Lord has PARTS, THE SAME AS the human body"."OUR EXISTENCE as a people is FOUNDED on a belief in the truths stated above
".

Aside from these above things the Seventh-day Adventist Church Church stands far closer to being Orthodox than do any of the other Adventist Churches. Many folks don't realize this but Jehovah's Witnesses ARE Adventist, as is the Christadelphians and the WWCOG 7day - they are just not "Seventh-day" Adventists.

It's also important to note that there are indeed SDA's that hold to a correct view of the Trinity Doctrine. I have discovered some that state that while they prefer to worship on Saturday they don't feel any ill will toward Sunday and don't believe in the mark of the Beast stuff you get from militant anti-Trinitarian historic type SDA person. There is some excellent people within the denomination and because it's so LOOSE on what it allows belief in you can find a wide spectrum of beliefs within the body of what is called SDAism.

Hope this information helps.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Welcome to RF pythons! :welcome

Thanks for laying some of this stuff out. I came from an old covenant based cult that embraced much of this, plus Jehovah's, Mormonism and other mishmash of this and that of cultist nature. It's interesting to read your succinct post of what I had to clear my head of. I'm so thankful for the clarity of God's Word to clear out all the impediments to the simple Gospel! :nod

3. The Doctrine of the Trinity as Catholic's, Lutherans, Baptists, Methodist's, Eastern Orthodox Christians understand it - i.e. Adventist groups reject the Nicene Creed as Babylon and a departure from what the Bible teaches.

Just the other day I was reading in 2 Corinthians and observed a verse that in essence lays out the trinity. It's a beautiful verse showcasing the three persons of God and their particular administrations to the children of God:

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. 2 Cor 13:14

I remember coming across a book as a younger christian and just feeling uneasy and anxious about what I was reading (our family was in essence taking a crash course on Christianity after leaving the cult as we knew nothing about the historical landscape of Christianity). It finally dawned on me to look up the author, who was Ellen White. I had started to become more aware of her group and immediately realized why I was having a hard time with her book, not to mention a feel of a lack of grace. It was very works based, missing that Christ did the work for us. That book was tossed firmly in the garbage!

As I'm reading your post I can see where she really diminishes the deity, supreme power and sovereignty of Jesus Christ as if there was a chance that somehow He would fail, missing passages that show how Christ did not have the fallen human nature within Him, thus the absolute surety, completeness and fullness of what He did, to lay His life down willingly to pay for the sins of the whole world. But the bible shows from the very beginning the sure and firm plan of the Salvation to come through faith in Christ.

For God saved us and called us to live a holy life. He did this, not because we deserved it, but because that was his plan from before the beginning of time—to show us his grace through Christ Jesus. And now he has made all of this plain to us by the appearing of Christ Jesus, our Savior. He broke the power of death and illuminated the way to life and immortality through the Good News. 2 Timothy 1:9-10

As I'm thinking I see that it was so sure and firm that God could say, as if it already happened, after the fall of Adam and Eve:

And I will cause hostility between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and her offspring.
He will strike your head,
and you will strike his heel.”
Gen 3:15

and in a further revealing of the Savior to come:

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me,
for the Lord has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted
and to proclaim that captives will be released
and prisoners will be freed.
He has sent me to tell those who mourn
that the time of the Lord’s favor has come

Isaiah 61-1-2,

The very words that Jesus Christ Himself read in a synagogue, words speaking of Him directly, Luke 4:17-19. Sounds like God had a firm and dependable plan in place with no hint whatsoever that there was even a smidgen of possibility that Christ could fail.

Only God of great power and sovereignty could pull this off, which is why He came, because a human being from the line of Adam couldn't even come close! This is why God addressed this Savior to come as the offspring of the woman, the offspring of God Himself, clothed in a human body, sinless and sovereignly able to carry the world's sins in exchange for His righteousness imputed upon His brothers and sisters in Christ:

Yet He Himself bore our sicknesses,
and He carried our pains;
but we in turn regarded Him stricken,
struck down by God, and afflicted.

But He was pierced because of our transgressions,
crushed because of our iniquities;
punishment for our peace was on Him,
and we are healed by His wounds.

Isaiah 53:4-5

The Word became flesh
and took up residence among us.
We observed His glory,
the glory as the One and Only Son from the Father,
full of grace and truth.
John 1:14

Only God of great power could take on that kind of payment for the world's sins:

....The Spirit alone gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. John 6:63

From this one can infer that Jesus was fully God and sovereignly powerful even as He took on human flesh and thus fully able to accomplish His work for our very good.

In addition, how is it that the most powerful Being, who made the universe, the stars, the forces of nature could possibly be so weak that He couldn't save Human kind, not to mention that God the Father had an eternal plan of His in place? An eternal plan denotes the great power and capacity to carry it out:

But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. This foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God’s weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength. 1 Cor 1:24-25

Jesus gave his life for our sins, just as God our Father planned, in order to rescue us from this evil world in which we live. All glory to God forever and ever! Amen. Galatians 1:3

God has now revealed to us his mysterious will regarding Christ—which is to fulfill his own good plan. And this is the plan: At the right time he will bring everything together under the authority of Christ—everything in heaven and on earth. Ephesians 1:9-10

I was chosen to explain to everyone this mysterious plan that God, the Creator of all things, had kept secret from the beginning.
God’s purpose in all this was to use the church to display his wisdom in its rich variety to all the unseen rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. This was his eternal plan, which he carried out through Christ Jesus our Lord.
Ephesians 3:9-11

I believe it's this kind of 'gospel', Ellen White's, that Paul warned the Galatians to turn away from:

I am shocked that you are turning away so soon from God, who called you to himself through the loving mercy of Christ. You are following a different way that pretends to be the Good News but is not the Good News at all. You are being fooled by those who deliberately twist the truth concerning Christ. Let God’s curse fall on anyone, including us or even an angel from heaven, who preaches a different kind of Good News than the one we preached to you. Galatians 1:6-8

Reminding them that:

Just as Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness, [as conformity to God’s will and purpose—so it is with you also]. So understand that it is the people who live by faith [with confidence in the power and goodness of God] who are [the true] sons of Abraham. The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, proclaimed the good news [of the Savior] to Abraham in advance [with this promise], saying, “In you shall all the nations be blessed.” So then those who are people of faith [whether Jew or Gentile] are blessed and favored by God [and declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty, and placed in right standing with Him] along with Abraham, the believer.

Galatians 3:6-9 AMP

and

But the Law does not rest on or require faith [it has nothing to do with faith], but [instead, the Law] says, “He who practices them [the things prescribed by the Law] shall live by them [instead of faith].” Christ purchased our freedom and redeemed us from the curse of the Law and its condemnation by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs [crucified] on a tree (cross)”— in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might also come to the Gentiles, so that we would all receive [the realization of] the promise of the [Holy] Spirit through faith. v.s. 12-14 AMP

Now, THAT'S Good News!! :)

Well, I guess I kind of wrote a mini book here. :lol These were just some thoughts and observations that came to mind. Hopefully that will be helpful to anyone reading that's needing some clarity.

Back