Seven Spirits of God Questions

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
The Seven Spirits of God are referenced multiple times in Revelation:

4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;
Revelation 1:4, KJV

1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.
Revelation 3:1, KJV

5 And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.
Revelation 4:5, KJV

6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
Revelation 5:6, KJV

Who or what are the Seven Spirits of God?

Andy C

Question:: I was listening to a christian call in show and a question was asked regarding these seven Spirits of God as to their identity. The pastor answered that he honestly didn’t know…but offered various spiritual attributes of The Lord…spirit of wisdom, etc.
I have studied Revelation and came away with their being seven angels. Revelation 5:6 says : “…in the midst…stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.” In the beginning of Revelation, Jesus speaks of the “seven stars…and the seven golden candlesticks” which represent respectively the “angels” and the “churches” He would go on to address. So, I am asking you what The LORD has revealed to you about all of this.

Answer:The use of the phrases seven stars and seven golden lampstands in Rev. 1:20 can be confusing to this issue but the Lord described them as being the angels of the seven Churches and the churches themselves.

The phrase “seven Spirits of God” is different from these. It appears in the Book of Revelation in three places Rev, 3:1, Rev. 4:5, and Rev. 5:6. The phrase is first used without explanation in Rev. 3:1, then in Rev. 4:5 it describes seven lamps blazing before the throne of God, and in Rev. 5:6 it refers to the seven eyes of the Lamb.

Some study Bibles place an alternate translation in their footnotes calling the seven spirits the sevenfold Spirit. To me this makes more sense because in the symbolism of Revelation the descriptions given as blazing lamps around the throne of God and the seven eyes of the Lamb fit the description of the Holy Spirit sent out into all the Earth (John 16:5-11).

We see this seven fold Spirit in Isaiah 11:1 as resting on the Messiah. There the Spirit of the Lord is described with seven attributes; wisdom, understanding, counsel, power, knowledge, a fear of the Lord, and a delight in the fear of the Lord. (Remember, in Hebrew the word “fear” stands for reverence.)

Therefore I believe the seven spirits (sevenfold Spirit) in Revelation is a reference to the Holy Spirit.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/seven-spirits-god/

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
The Seven Spirits of God are referenced multiple times in Revelation:

4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;
Revelation 1:4, KJV

1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.
Revelation 3:1, KJV

5 And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.
Revelation 4:5, KJV

6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
Revelation 5:6, KJV

Who or what are the Seven Spirits of God?
Seven days make one week or it would not be called a week but rather 2 days, 3 days, 4 days and so on, Seven is used as the number of perfection or completeness, so the seven fold Spirit of God is the fullness of His Spirit. I believe this is the right interpretation.

Revelation 1:4 Expanded Bible
Jesus’ Message to the Churches
4 From John.
To the seven churches in Asia [C the Roman province of Asia, today part of western Turkey]:
Grace and peace to you from the One who is and [the One who] was and [the One who] is coming [C these three descriptions function like titles for God; Ex. 3:14–15], and from ·the seven spirits [C referring either to angels or to the “sevenfold Spirit”—the Holy Spirit portrayed in his perfection (the number seven indicating completeness)] before his throne,

Revelation 3:1-2 Expanded Bible
To the Church in Sardis
3 “Write this to the ·angel [messenger; see 1:20] of the church in ·Sardis [C the capital of the Roman province of Lydia in western Asia Minor]:
“The One [C the resurrected Jesus] who has the ·seven spirits [C referring either to angels or to the “sevenfold Spirit”—the Holy Spirit portrayed in his perfection; 1:4] and the seven stars [1:16] says ·this [L these things]: I know ·what you do [your works]. ·People say [L You have a name/reputation] that you are alive, but really you are dead. 2 Wake up! Strengthen what you have left ·before it dies completely [or which is about to die]. I have found that ·what you are doing is less than what my God wants [L your works are incompleted/unfulfilled before my God].

I hope this helps,
God bless,
Brother Albert

Last edited:

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
Question:: I was listening to a christian call in show and a question was asked regarding these seven Spirits of God as to their identity. The pastor answered that he honestly didn’t know…but offered various spiritual attributes of The Lord…spirit of wisdom, etc.
I have studied Revelation and came away with their being seven angels. Revelation 5:6 says : “…in the midst…stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.” In the beginning of Revelation, Jesus speaks of the “seven stars…and the seven golden candlesticks” which represent respectively the “angels” and the “churches” He would go on to address. So, I am asking you what The LORD has revealed to you about all of this.

Answer:The use of the phrases seven stars and seven golden lampstands in Rev. 1:20 can be confusing to this issue but the Lord described them as being the angels of the seven Churches and the churches themselves.

The phrase “seven Spirits of God” is different from these. It appears in the Book of Revelation in three places Rev, 3:1, Rev. 4:5, and Rev. 5:6. The phrase is first used without explanation in Rev. 3:1, then in Rev. 4:5 it describes seven lamps blazing before the throne of God, and in Rev. 5:6 it refers to the seven eyes of the Lamb.

Some study Bibles place an alternate translation in their footnotes calling the seven spirits the sevenfold Spirit. To me this makes more sense because in the symbolism of Revelation the descriptions given as blazing lamps around the throne of God and the seven eyes of the Lamb fit the description of the Holy Spirit sent out into all the Earth (John 16:5-11).

We see this seven fold Spirit in Isaiah 11:1 as resting on the Messiah. There the Spirit of the Lord is described with seven attributes; wisdom, understanding, counsel, power, knowledge, a fear of the Lord, and a delight in the fear of the Lord. (Remember, in Hebrew the word “fear” stands for reverence.)

Therefore I believe the seven spirits (sevenfold Spirit) in Revelation is a reference to the Holy Spirit.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/seven-spirits-god/
Andy is this your personal study or was it part of the radio show you were listening to? I believe this is a great response, thanks for posting it.
God bless,
Brother Albert

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Andy is this your personal study or was it part of the radio show you were listening to? I believe this is a great response, thanks for posting it.
God bless,
Brother Albert

Andy posted an article from gracethrufaith.com it was a q+a thing from the late Jack Kelley. You can follow the link for more articles. The person talking about the radio show was one of the people who sent in a question

Back