Self defense in the Word

Jojo4124

Is self defense Biblical? I hope this doesn't seem like a silly question but I sincerely seek opinions. Trying to find Bible verses to support the concept.

I ask because a home in our neighborhood was broken into. The people weren't home at the time. If they were home, is it ok with God if they killed the intruders?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
If a thief is found breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there shall be no bloodguilt for him, but if the sun has risen on him, there shall be bloodguilt for him. He shall surely pay. If he has nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft. Exodus 22:2-3

So in the lowest parts of the space behind the wall, in open places, I stationed the people by their clans, with their swords, their spears, and their bows. And I looked and arose and said to the nobles and to the officials and to the rest of the people, “Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes.” Nehemiah 4:13-14

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

There's a study on the topic here: https://www.biblicalselfdefense.com/

and here: https://www.gotquestions.org/self-defense.html

usoutpost31

The right to self defense is given by God. But there are other deterrents we can use, such as alarms or a big dog, before getting to the point of needing to blow someone away.

The thought that keeps coming into my mind is what if the thieves are unsaved? If they are arrested and go to prison, there is still hope for them. They may find Jesus in their imprisonment, many people do. But if I kill them, there is no more hope for them. That scenario where somewhere down the line they might've responded to the Gospel no longer exists, I made sure of it.

I've been stolen from, more than once. Lot of anger and conflicted feelings towards those events, even now. If I had been home at the time, I'm sure my reaction and response would not have been one that honoured or glorified God. So maybe it's better for them to have my things, rather than a confrontation that could've turned out badly.

greg64

It's an interesting topic. Jesus tells us to turn the other cheek and them goes on to suffer and die for us because there was no other way and He loves us that much. On the other hand, I don't think he's telling us to let our families be hurt or killed by someone intending to do harm. As with everything else, I think it comes down to a heart issue as to what's motivating us to strike. Is it out of revenge/pride or protection? I don't think there's anything wrong with defending ourselves out of protection. I think the verses from Exodus TT posted get to that distinction.

benmcd

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 can also be used to help bring clarity to this subject. As to Jesus saying to turn the other cheek; that was a hebraism which meant not to trade insults. I've seen it used to justify pacifism and the government not bearing the sword. But it has nothing to do with that. It's not covering dealing with violent attacks in which there is the potential for bodily harm or death.

Back