”Secrets” in the Bible, Hebrew reveals

pixelpusher

Very interesting thread!

Kind of an aside but kinda on topic also: I went looking at a page of Hebrew translations after reading this thread, and an interesting bit caught my attention.

Isaiah 60:18
Violence shall no more be heard in thy land, wasting nor destruction within thy borders; but thou shalt call thy walls Salvation, and thy gates Praise.

The word for "violence" is חָמָס, Strong's H2555, "châmâç", which is pronounced "khwa-mas". The K is there but more silent. It's "Hamas". Who is pestering Israel all the time. it's the same word as when God decided to flood the earth because men's thoughts were toward "hamas" continually.

So the terror group is aptly named!

Kaatje

My soul waits for the Lord, and in His Word I hope
This is not from the book I’m reading, but I came across it, and found it very interesting.
(@mattfivefour, Is this the most important, untranslated word?)

The tragedy of not translating Christos

Edited:

Christos means Annointed One, and not Annointed King. Mattfivefour explains this a few posts lower, so I withdraw this post.

I love learning new things, but am even more pleased to be called back when making wrong assumptions, so thank you Adrian!

Last edited:

Batfan7

How interesting. I knew Christ meant "annointed one", but would never have associated it with "king". I'll have to read some verses with this translation in mind and see if that brings deeper meaning.

I have to wonder how many people think "Christ" is Jesus' last name?

Jan51

Suddenly, though, in the letter to the churches, it almost disappears. "Kingdom" is mentioned 18 times in 21 letters.

Why, after Jesus emphasized the Kingdom, preached it as the Gospel, prophesied that it would be taught as the Gospel until the end times, and spent his last days on earth teaching it to the apostles, would they simply forget about it in their letters to the churches?
It's not that it was forgotten. Jesus came to present Himself to Israel, as King of Israel, and to bring the Kingdom if they would accept Him. The epistles, on the other hand, were written for a different purpose. They are the instructions for the church.

Jan51

How interesting. I knew Christ meant "annointed one", but would never have associated it with "king". I'll have to read some verses with this translation in mind and see if that brings deeper meaning.

I have to wonder how many people think "Christ" is Jesus' last name?
I talk about this when I teach Bible study, and yes, many do think this! I myself did in my younger years, which is how I know that others are also confused about the meaning of His name. Jesus is His human name; Christ is His title. Jesus, the Christ, or as we often see it, Jesus Christ.

Jan51

Only the first part of it, regarding the origin of the word.

Some of the other resources: Chuck Missler, GotQuestions, 2 old threads from this very Forum,
and many rogue teachings that I read and discarded.
Ok. As a writer and a teacher, I try to be careful when posting, when saving posts, and when quoting from others, so that I don't attribute something incorrectly.

mattfivefour

(@mattfivefour, Is this the most important, untranslated word?)
No. And, frankly, I think this writer is way off base with his view. The Greek Christos is a translation of the Hebrew Mashiach, which simply means "anointed", coming from a root word that means "to smear" (as with oil or ointment). Throughout Leviticus it is used of the "anointed priests". Both priests and kings were anointed to show they bore God's mantle of office. The One whom prophecy proclaimed --and the rabbis (and the people) eagerly awaited-- was simply termed THE anointed. The offices of priest AND king would be combined in Him, as we see in veiled reference in Psalm 45 and Isaiah 60 among other places and more clearly in the titles and offices of Melchizedek (Genesis 14; Psalm 110; Hebrews 5, 6, and 7). Jesus did exactly what was prophesied and pictured in the OT. He is both King and Priest.

To focus solely on Christ's Kingship is to miss His Priesthood. The Kingdom of God is the Church (that invisible, mystical body of true believers whom He has called out and saved), and He is the Head of it. But the Church is also His Temple, in which He dwells. To elevate one over the other will lead only to a false understanding of our position and our role.

Christos does NOT mean anointed king. That is an interpretation based upon Davidic symbology. Christos simply means "the anointed". So, rather than there being over 600 references to Jesus the anointed king in the epistles, there are simply more than 600 references to Jesus The Anointed. And that title combines the priestly role of intermediary and intercessor with the kingly role of ruler and peacemaker. Further, the Kingdom of God is simply the Presence of God in and among His People, ruling their hearts and lives. It is the Church-- a living, growing entity that lives and grows to spread itself among those in the world whom the Holy Spirit has prepared to hear. Let's be careful to avoid views of the Kingdom of God as some sort of means of Christ's rule on earth. That will come. But not until the Great Tribulation has done it's work.

As to the hidden word, I mentioned in my first response: sorry to keep you hanging. But I am busy these days with my 97 year old advanced-stage Alzheimers mother whom we had to rush to hospital earlier this week. I do not know if she will ever come back home or whether she will die there. We are praying. But as I have time I will share the hidden word in the very first verse of the Bible that demonstrates Christ's presence and role from before the beginning of time. Stay tuned.

pixelpusher

The word is aleph-tav, the beginning and the end. The Alpha and Omega.
We see this name for Jesus in Revelation, but it actually occurs in the first sentence also, in the beginning was the Word! It's quite amazing.

To be honest, I'm a problem-solver, not a scholar so much. I have to credit Google and this web page, which I'm still reading through, so I am not sure as to the doctrine and overall website, but they seem to be on target and flesh it out much better than I could were I to study on my own for a month. I reckon I'd have to move to Israel and learn Hebrew.

http://jerusalemofgold.org.uk/hebraic-and-prophetic-teaching/the hidden word in genesis.html

ETA: I did finish the article. In complete awe.

Last edited:

Kaatje

My soul waits for the Lord, and in His Word I hope
The word is aleph-tav, the beginning and the end. The Alpha and Omega.
We see this name for Jesus in Revelation, but it actually occurs in the first sentence also, in the beginning was the Word! It's quite amazing.

To be honest, I'm a problem-solver, not a scholar so much. I have to credit Google and this web page, which I'm still reading through, so I am not sure as to the doctrine and overall website, but they seem to be on target and flesh it out much better than I could were I to study on my own for a month. I reckon I'd have to move to Israel and learn Hebrew.

http://jerusalemofgold.org.uk/hebraic-and-prophetic-teaching/the hidden word in genesis.html

ETA: I did finish the article. In complete awe.
Yes, read it too, just Awesome!

Oh, I love this thread, there is so much to learn, so many hidden gems in the Bible.

Trudy

f4fbd02e2021d6e5aa3bd7bd0934c999.jpg

:) I like this picture very much : Emet/Alef-mem-Tav = truth
Yeshua is the Truth , who was in the Beginning,came at the appointed Time to die in the middle of the week , and will have the Last Word!

“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the bright Morning Star.” Rev22:16

mattfivefour

f4fbd02e2021d6e5aa3bd7bd0934c999.jpg

:) I like this picture very much : Emet/Alef-mem-Tav = truth
Yeshua is the Truth , who was in the Beginning,came at the appointed Time to die in the middle of the week , and will have the Last Word!

“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the bright Morning Star.” Rev22:16
I'm confused. In the "middle" of what week did Yeshua die? :scratch

Trudy

I'm confused. In the "middle" of what week did Yeshua die? :scratch

:)
Well,as far as I understand the prophetic timeline of the last few days before PASSOVER, our Lord Jesus entered Jerusalem riding on a donkey on the first Day of the Week (Palm Sunday).
Matthew24:4-5+9
This took place to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet:“Say to the daughter of Zion, ‘See, your King comes to you, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.’”
The crowds that went ahead of Him and those that followed were shouting: “Hosanna to the Son of David!” “Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!” “Hosanna in the highest!”
We read furthermore, that the Messiah arose from the dead on the Feast of Firstfruits/Bikurim, being Himself the Firstfruits of those who fell asleep (1.Cor15:20).
Firstfruits is always kept on the first Day of the Week/Sunday, after the Passover (Lev.23:10-11).
Some time before Passover, Jesus also prophesied that there will be only one Sign given to this Generation:
Matthew 12:39+40
Jesus replied, “A wicked and adulterous generation demands a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For just as Jonah was in the belly of the great fish three days and three nights, so the Son of Man will be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights."

So, all we have to do is subtract 3 days and 3 nights from the time He was RESURRECTED,after Shabbat was over(counting from sun down) !

Friday, Night + Shabbat = 3.night and day
Thursday, Night + Friday =2.night and day
Wednesday, Night + Thursday= 1.night and day

Our Lord Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday, which is the 4th Day of the week, at the third hour/9 AM (Mark15:25-38),there was Darkness for 3 hours before He died!
Yeshua/Jesus was laid to rest in a tomb before the sun set, and the Passover meal was eaten with unleavened bread.

I find it remarkable,that it happened in the middle of the week!
Because it was on the 4th Day of the Creation week,when GOD set the Sun,Moon and Stars in the Expanse of the Heavens for Signs,and for appointed Times/Seasons, and days and years!
Our GOD always has the perfect timing for everything!

Back