Second question

Len

I thought the original question to be quite intense, and gave it some thought along the lines of "how much do you love others" because it boils down to what is driving you to wittness and I couldnt answer that question without questioning my own heart and knowing how much I fall short of biblical Christianity ...... CSL could even be "come soon Lord"

Heart2Soul

Interesting you lock the previous thread. Saw a few honest answers in that they didn’t want to think about it. I had to sit and think about why I asked the first question. Then I realized there were actually two question and I didn’t ask them in the right order or then again maybe I did.

I don’t actually expect any replies but your answer is between you and God and may be a better indicator of where you are standing after the rapture.

Are you willing to stay behind if you have the chance to save a family member, a friend, one stranger, 5 people?

Now then the next question. What do “You” do?
I would want to stay behind especially if it was one of my children....or grandchildren.

TheRedeemed

I would want to stay behind especially if it was one of my children....or grandchildren.
Ouch! Are you saved? Do you refuse the free gift offer of salvation that’s guaranteed in order to try to save someone who will never accept the Lord? While losing your own salvation by choosing to stay behind and then you and the ones you also failed to save will spend all eternity in hell?

You’d rather spend eternity in hell with your family, than eternity in heaven with God whether your family are there or not?

I would simply love for all my family and friends to be saved and come up hither with me, but the free gift of salvation is not mine to give away, and if, in spite of my evangelising, my family and friends stay and I go, then tough luck on them. I would have warned them all amply beforehand.

They will have a final opportunity to get saved during the 7 years, to reflect on what I and any others told them about Jesus and salvation. That’s the purpose of the tribulation, to finally bring the whole world, Jews and gentiles alike to the Lord, God, Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

ozaprah

Ouch! Are you saved? Do you refuse the free gift offer of salvation that’s guaranteed in order to try to save someone who will never accept the Lord? While losing your own salvation by choosing to stay behind and then you and the ones you also failed to save will spend all eternity in hell?
Might have to back up a bit and that assertion. The hypothetical question said nothing about giving up your salvation to stay behind. The theology of the blessed hope and rapture aside, the question was a simple IF you could choose to stay behind to increase the chances of bringing to faith unsaved loved ones, would you.. ? Or otherwise put, would be be willing to go through the tribulation as a believer, knowing full well that you'll likely be beheaded, in order to help your loved ones come to faith.
In honesty, I think it's a very interesting topic for discussion, albeit completely hypothetical.
Staying behind would mean missing out on the marriage of the bride. It would mean certain persecution, suffering and death. Would I do it and lay down my physical life for the hope that a child or loved one could be saved? In my human nature, I say yes.

But thankfully God is in control and his ways are higher than our ways.
He has an appointed time for the marriage of the bride and he wants his bride there! When he comes to collect, we go!
In his loving mercy he does send 144000 evangelists, 2 witnesses, and the gospel angel to witness to the world.
And what could be a better witness to our loved ones than our departure as we have foretold to them?

The upshot of the hypothetical question to me is this - if I am prepared to stay behind and likely die for a loved one, then why am I so darn lazy in reaching out to them in truth currently? Ouch. That hit me particularly hard. So yes, the discussion is an interesting one.

(Let's also be a bit careful about the CSL linking. Could also be C.S Lewis.)

usoutpost31

Staying behind may be even harder to bear. Maybe your loved ones would listen to you after the Rapture, maybe they won't. Imagine seeing them participate in all manner of unrepentant idol worship and debauchery. Imagine those closest to you coming home beaming proudly, having just received the Mark of the Beast. Maybe they're the ones who eventually turn you in.

I understand the desire to protect our loved ones, but as long as we're not inserting ourselves into the prophetic picture out of a sense of self importance. Christ made the only sacrifice that was necessary, on the cross. For my relatives to be saved, they need to turn to him, not to me. The best we can do, is share our faith, and be Christlike in our example, for whatever time we have.

Salluz

Staying behind may be even harder to bear. Maybe your loved ones would listen to you after the Rapture, maybe they won't. Imagine seeing them participate in all manner of unrepentant idol worship and debauchery. Imagine those closest to you coming home beaming proudly, having just received the Mark of the Beast. Maybe they're the ones who eventually turn you in.

I understand the desire to protect our loved ones, but as long as we're not inserting ourselves into the prophetic picture out of a sense of self importance. Christ made the only sacrifice that was necessary, on the cross. For my relatives to be saved, they need to turn to him, not to me. The best we can do, is share our faith, and be Christlike in our example, for whatever time we have.
“Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 22 You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

[...]

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’
(From matthew 10)

This is what came to mind when I read your post. I hate to say it, but I think you're totally right about what many people will go through during the tribulation. It will be heartbreaking for those who become believers only to watch their loved ones worship satan openly and report them to the gov. to be beheaded.

Also, I imagine it would weaken our witness if we stayed behind. "Didn't you say believers were supposed to go? Why are you still here then? Doesn't that invalidate everything you said?"

Agree with one of the above posters. If we can entertain the idea of (not losing our salvation or place in the church) betrayal and physical death with a world in turmoil around us, we should be able to speak out now when we could just be hated or fired for it. Those consequences seem pretty light in comparison to torture and death (something many brothers and sisters do face even now in communist or Muslim countries). I know I'm convicted by the fact I haven't been speaking out.

Psalm 40 comes to mind for me when I think of witnessing now:

I proclaim your saving acts in the great assembly;
I do not seal my lips, Lord,
as you know.
10 I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
I speak of your faithfulness and your saving help.
I do not conceal your love and your faithfulness
from the great assembly.

This always convicts me when I read it, because I can't make the same claim. There have been plenty of times where I had the opportunity to speak out to share the gospel and didn't. That's something important to think about, but I don't know if we need to think about the tribulation to be convicted of it. There are far too many brothers and sisters of ours dying even now. We're pretty blessed to be where we are

chaser

I believe many will be saved during the tribulation...what is tragic is that it will be nearly impossible to find a bible to read or to hear a preacher preach.
And since this was a hypothetical question I know what I would want to do.
Revelation 14:6-7 Then I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth—to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people—saying with a loud voice, ‘Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water.’”

John 10:27-29 27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.