Sean1916

Sean1916

Well Jonshaff, I am rarely asked but always glad to share. Unlike some that I have heard, mine is atypical. I suppose growing up I was a poster-child good kid. About age 6 my parents began going to church and I picked up on all the ways to be good, "turn the other cheek", "don't lie", "don't steal", etc etc. And I pretty much had a smiley face on all of them although I struggled heavily with the "turn the cheek" thing <another thread topic>.
One day I went forward during the invitation because "I saw the light", don't recall what I said but I was baptized some weeks later in a river and was given a New Testament. I was probably 7 or 8 maybe then and continued in my good kid mode.
We moved several times. I was probably about 13 and my family was attending a church that was meeting temporarily in someone's basement. They hired this pastor and he wasn't shy about preaching. Over time I realized that I could easily pick out the unsaved that were there. Finally it hit me. My spirit bore witness to theirs. For some time I struggled with this, relying on my good kid mode to float me. Well, that didn't last. It wasn't solid. And it was in February in 1979 in a finished basement that the Holy Spirit bopped me on my head and said "hey good kid, your a lost sinner."
That changed that night. (Hanky wave) And since that time, I know that I can never be good enough (thank God for that) and that my hope is in Jesus and His sacrifice. I later was baptized again as a testimony.
Thanks for asking. (Side note, the year 1979 should not be used as a way to factor in my age as I remain 24 indefinitely.)

ReadyforSupper

You know, your testimony reminds me of our Sunday school pastor's and our church secretary and the head of the children's Sunday school department!

It was likened to watching the sun rise...those who are born into Christian families don't have those "eureka!" moments of salvation, but have seen the sun rise slowly over the horizon their whole lives...they never have walked in a dark world only to be blinded by the Son, but have always played the "good" role, only to find out years later that although they'd always believed, understood and accepted that God is who He says He is, they'd never accepted Him as their very own!

I think it must come as quite a shock and be a most humbling experience.

Either way, you're here and in His arms and that will never, ever change!

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Well Jonshaff, I am rarely asked but always glad to share. Unlike some that I have heard, mine is atypical. I suppose growing up I was a poster-child good kid. About age 6 my parents began going to church and I picked up on all the ways to be good, "turn the other cheek", "don't lie", "don't steal", etc etc. And I pretty much had a smiley face on all of them although I struggled heavily with the "turn the cheek" thing <another thread topic>.
One day I went forward during the invitation because "I saw the light", don't recall what I said but I was baptized some weeks later in a river and was given a New Testament. I was probably 7 or 8 maybe then and continued in my good kid mode.
We moved several times. I was probably about 13 and my family was attending a church that was meeting temporarily in someone's basement. They hired this pastor and he wasn't shy about preaching. Over time I realized that I could easily pick out the unsaved that were there. Finally it hit me. My spirit bore witness to theirs. For some time I struggled with this, relying on my good kid mode to float me. Well, that didn't last. It wasn't solid. And it was in February in 1979 in a finished basement that the Holy Spirit bopped me on my head and said "hey good kid, your a lost sinner."
That changed that night. (Hanky wave) And since that time, I know that I can never be good enough (thank God for that) and that my hope is in Jesus and His sacrifice. I later was baptized again as a testimony.
Thanks for asking. (Side note, the year 1979 should not be used as a way to factor in my age as I remain 24 indefinitely.)
Glory to our God and Savior!!! Hallelujah!!! \o/ \o/ \o/