Scientists Are Implanting Mini Human Brains Into Animals, Raising Ethical Concerns

Ben D

Scientists Are Implanting Mini Human Brains Into Animals, Raising Ethical Concerns​

#SCIENCE BY PAULSACCAOCTOBER 17, 201

In what sounds like a chapter straight out of H.G. Wells’ 1886 science fiction novel The Island of Doctor Moreau, scientists are preparing to implant mini human brains into animals. The world-altering procedures also come with a number of ethical concerns about the ramifications of the intriguing, yet potentially scary science.

In a new scientific paper titled “Transplantation of Human Brain Organoids: Revisiting the Science and Ethics of Brain Chimeras” published in the journal Cell Stem Cell, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania pose the ethical concerns associated to the “potential humanization of host animals.”

This is a topic we discussed in August when there was a report that scientists in China were involved in a project is to create human-animal chimeras, which is a single organism composed of cells from different species. That project injected human cells into monkey embryos to create the world’s first monkey-human hybrid.

This newest mad scientist-sounding experiment will reportedly take human brains and transplant them into an animal. Cerebral organoids are tiny clumps of neural cells about the size of a pea. Cerebral organoids are grown in vitro and have the brain capabilities of a ten-week-old human embryo.

Scientists grow these organoids by taking a sample of stem cells from a human. These stem cells are pluripotent, which means that they are capable of becoming different types of cell types, such as neurons. The cerebral organoids will organize into specific sections of the brain, such as the cortex and cortical cells.

Researchers take these cells and implant them into animals such as rodents. Rats that have had human brain cells embedded in them performed better in intelligence tests. There is potential that animals could be augmented with human intelligence and consciousness, opening up many questions. Could these rodents turn into super smart The Secret of NIMH rats? Or will they become Pinky and the Brain rodents who attempt to do “the same thing they do every night, try to take over the world!”

https://brobible.com/culture/article/implant-mini-human-brains-animals-rodents-scientists/

BlessedAssurance

These are the types of experiments and genetic tampering that I can not imagine God will allow to continue for very long! :mad: Injecting human cells into animals? That is disturbing on so many levels and how dare we mess with God's creation in this way.

I recall reading an article, a few months back, of how Chinese scientists have been splicing human cells together with pig cells or other types of animals. One day these experiments will go very wrong....

We can't deny that we are in the days "as of Noah!"

OnlyHim

These are the types of experiments and genetic tampering that I can not imagine God will allow to continue for very long! :mad: Injecting human cells into animals? That is disturbing on so many levels and how dare we mess with God's creation in this way.

I recall reading an article, a few months back, of how Chinese scientists have been splicing human cells together with pig cells or other types of animals. One day these experiments will go very wrong....

If I remember correctly I think they were doing that to see if they could grow human organs for transplant patients. Sounds good but no thanks.

Ben D

So here is a scientific paper that questions the ethics of these experiments but pretends it is not already happening.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/04/210408112321.htm

Society is not ready to make human brains​

Date: April 8, 2021 Source: Kyoto University Summary: Scientists explain the future ethical implications of this research with regards to brain organoids, a laboratory-made structure that is designed to grow and behave like the brain.

AWillow

Peace that passes all understanding.

I totally agree I even think IVF is wrong and we’re tampering with God’s creation even there and throwing away embryos or freezing then it’s just totally wrong any of that!!

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20

Scientists Are Implanting Mini Human Brains Into Animals, Raising Ethical Concerns​

#SCIENCE BY PAULSACCAOCTOBER 17, 201

In what sounds like a chapter straight out of H.G. Wells’ 1886 science fiction novel The Island of Doctor Moreau, scientists are preparing to implant mini human brains into animals. The world-altering procedures also come with a number of ethical concerns about the ramifications of the intriguing, yet potentially scary science.

In a new scientific paper titled “Transplantation of Human Brain Organoids: Revisiting the Science and Ethics of Brain Chimeras” published in the journal Cell Stem Cell, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania pose the ethical concerns associated to the “potential humanization of host animals.”

This is a topic we discussed in August when there was a report that scientists in China were involved in a project is to create human-animal chimeras, which is a single organism composed of cells from different species. That project injected human cells into monkey embryos to create the world’s first monkey-human hybrid.

This newest mad scientist-sounding experiment will reportedly take human brains and transplant them into an animal. Cerebral organoids are tiny clumps of neural cells about the size of a pea. Cerebral organoids are grown in vitro and have the brain capabilities of a ten-week-old human embryo.

Scientists grow these organoids by taking a sample of stem cells from a human. These stem cells are pluripotent, which means that they are capable of becoming different types of cell types, such as neurons. The cerebral organoids will organize into specific sections of the brain, such as the cortex and cortical cells.

Researchers take these cells and implant them into animals such as rodents. Rats that have had human brain cells embedded in them performed better in intelligence tests. There is potential that animals could be augmented with human intelligence and consciousness, opening up many questions. Could these rodents turn into super smart The Secret of NIMH rats? Or will they become Pinky and the Brain rodents who attempt to do “the same thing they do every night, try to take over the world!”

https://brobible.com/culture/article/implant-mini-human-brains-animals-rodents-scientists/

This is why my Will to Live specifies no use of my body or parts in non-humans :tappingfoot

Ghoti Ichthus

I totally agree I even think IVF is wrong and we’re tampering with God’s creation even there and throwing away embryos or freezing then it’s just totally wrong any of that!!

When I investigated fertility treatments, besides limiting options to those with only my husband's sperm and my egg(s), a consideration was ensuring that all created embryos were implanted. This would have meant limiting the number of eggs harvested and fertilized. Surprisingly, the military hospital was very agreeable and accommodating, even with us being retired and lower priority than active duty. During testing prior to any procedures, we discovered military exposures had so damaged my eggs that pregnancy was impossible, and even if it had occurred, the baby(ies) would have been horribly malformed/unable to live, so we let things be. In the end, this was for the best.

Last edited:

Lovin Jesus

Mini human brain? Woooah. I need to go back to read the article. The title rushed my post. How can a mini brain be implanted anywhere? Mini? As in underdeveloped? They shrunk it? Huh? I need to read this
"Boris the mad scientist science fiction novel"

White Squirrel

Could these rodents turn into super smart The Secret of NIMH rats? Or will they become Pinky and the Brain rodents who attempt to do “the same thing they do every night, try to take over the world!”
Well at this point this would seem like a better option than what is happening now with our governments... :idunno :mousedance

On a more serious note, western world might still have ethical concerns regarding these types of experiments, and there are some official world-wide agreements and guidelines, but I really doubt they are being followed for example in China. We will never know what abominations are secretly made in labs.

Ghoti Ichthus

Well at this point this would seem like a better option than what is happening now with our governments... :idunno :mousedance

On a more serious note, western world might still have ethical concerns regarding these types of experiments, and there are some official world-wide agreements and guidelines, but I really doubt they are being followed for example in China. We will never know what abominations are secretly made in labs.

But God knows. And that's all that really counts in the (really) long run. About 1007 years from now, those responsible will get to "explain." Unless they come to saving faith in Jesus.

3 Nails 4 Given

Sinner saved by the blood of Jesus
Scientists are implanting tiny Rat brains into their colleagues. Many of them have taken to extreme exercise in the Hamster Wheel. The Hamster Wheel has been connected to a generator to produce minute amounts of Green Electricity. So far enough electricity to charge a 9 volt battery that powers the Eco light for their cage.