Santa in the Christmas Story

livingskies

Hi family. I have to come plop my thoughts here because no one else seems to understand....

Santa.

I know the back story of Nicholas being a pastor in the 3-400's AD, and being generous. And possibly giving some coins to a man for his daughters... Besides the man and his generosity, much is probably legend and has evolved into modern Santa.

A friend wrote:"Santa is bigger than any person, and his work has gone on longer than any of us have lived. What he does is simple, but it is powerful. He teaches children how to have belief in something they can’t see or touch."

My Christian friends are rigorously defending Santa and his inclusion in Christmas tradition.

If you teach that Santa is real as a magical way to believe in something children can't see... How do you then explain, well, Santa is not real but Jesus is? As Christians, Jesus is who we seek for the kindness, love, and generosity that is seen at Christmas.

Kindness, generosity, joy, peace, etc, all the good stuff of the season, are enjoyed by all. To people who don't necessarily believe that Jesus was the son of God, Santa is a great way to symbolize this. But the true magic of Christmas is that God himself would come down to live as one of us.

There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Right? Might be great things, but without salvation, totally miss the mark, right?

I don't mean to offend anyone or Grinch on anyone. I am not anti-Christmas. But why do Christians cling to Santa? We have the real meaning and reason...

Santa is omniscient (knowing who is naughty and nice, knowing if you are awake or asleep), basically omnipresent Dec 24, pretty omnipotent with all those great gifts and flying... Really? Jesus would sit in our living rooms and soak in the joy on kids' faces as they look for presents from this god-like figure? Pictures of Santa gazing at or kneeling before a nativity scene? He would like those and feel honored by them??:doh:

If we say Jesus is the reason for the season, that we celebrate his birth (which we really don't know the date of), then why is there so much in our tradition that is indistinguishable from our secular neighbors?

On my 3 year olds birthday, would I sing about the streamers and balloons? Would I stand and gaze at a giant flower put up for the occasion, spending more time decorating it than attention on my son? Would I give presents to everyone but him in honor of him? Or would I do some token small things, set out some pictures of him as a baby and some mementoes of his birth (like the cord I saved, lol). Would he feel honored it I did all this for his birthday?

I just don't get why we think God is pleased when we call Christmas his birthday but spend so much time, effort, attention, and money on things that in reality do not draw attention to or honor him - and at worst he might consider idolatry. Think the Israelites and how they repeatedly dabbled with the gods and cultural traditions of surrounding cultures.

Sorry to vent...:hide

jonshaff

Fellow Servant
Our conviction is this...

We have taught our children that...

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

...not from santa.

They are 6 and 7 and they know santa isn't real. I don't want to lie to my kids. I kinda take that seriously.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
A friend wrote:"Santa is bigger than any person, and his work has gone on longer than any of us have lived. What he does is simple, but it is powerful. He teaches children how to have belief in something they can’t see or touch."
THAT is the stupidest rationalization I have ever heard!!! So children learn to believe in something that turns out to be a lie. Yep. That's sure teaching them something about faith in God, isn't it??? :doh:
---
In our house we celebrate Christmas with ALL the trimmings ... except one. There is no Santa. Even when my wife Charlotte was alive and our kids were young, once we were saved we did not let our children believe the Santa myth nor would we have ANY ornaments, figures, paper, etc with Santa on it in the house. Our Christmases were purely focused on Jesus Christ.

(BTW, I've often mused over the fact that Santa is an anagram of Satan.)

Betty

I grew up believing in Santa. This never affected by belief in God. We celebrate Christmas in our house.
Betty

livingskies

I just think that the things we try to rationalize, or that we try to defend with emotion and vigor, shows what our Idols are. (Or if it is God. Obviously, it is good to defend him and his word). Not just referring to Santa, but to lots of things in our lives. What are we trying to hold dear to our hearts that is not of our heavenly kingdom?

Andrew

Well known member
There is a serious conflict of views between the Christmas story of Jesus' birth and the message that 'Santa' only brings gifts to 'good' boys and girls. The gift that Jesus gave was wholly undeserved and not dependent upon our works. I would leave the question of what to tell their kids and when with the parents. If asked, I would simply counsel against linking gifts with works.

Geri7

During the early years growing up we were unsaved and were taught santa gave us the toys that were unwrapped under the tree and the presents that were wrapped came from our parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles. We also celebrated the birth of Jesus, had a manger under the tree and went to church. My favorite Christmas story was the Little Drummer Boy. We lived in Northern NJ just outside NYC and every Saturday afternoon during the month of December our parents would take us to various toy stores for a couple of hours. Being the youngest and still thinking santa was real, we encountered a santa on every other street block. I remember questioning and saying "how did santa get from such and such street to this street so quickly?" My mother came up with "he is magic". Then I started to question "why is he fat and short on that corner and very skinny and tall on such and such street?" Again with a straight face she said "he is magic and he can make himself thinner in order to squeeze down the chimney". By the time we reached the department store I counted 9 santas in amazement. Looking back my mother must have been so glad we finally made it to that mega discount toy store. :lol: My dad sat at the donut shop on the main floor and drank coffee and watched t.v. with all the other men in a calm environment while downstairs was chaotic and extremely noisy while the mothers were buying toys and children galore were running around the aisles or standing in line waiting to speak to santa. I pointed at him in amazement and said "he's is now here in that corner" and my mother and sibling all said in unison "he's magic". :lol: My sister spent the whole time staying by my side and bringing me around the aisles and asking me what I wanted for Christmas not realizing she was keeping me distracted while my mom was quickly putting all the toys for us in her shopping chart and purchasing them.

2 years later, as a 2nd grader, I found out on Christmas Day that santa wasn't real. My mother was very talented in sewing and she made all my Barbie and Ken doll clothing. Well, she used this grey fabric for Ken's shirt (I recognized the material she had made her shirt with) and I asked did this come from santa and when she said "yes" I then knew santa wasn't real and I was so disappointed. She said "it's about time you knew the truth." :lol:

Kem

Citizen
My parents were saved when I was about 7 or 8. I guess they taught me to believe in Santa before that but I simply do not remember. I know that Santa was banned from the house after that and my younger brother once shocked the milkman (we had home delivery way back then) when the milkman asked if he was looking forward to Santa, his reply at age 4 was "Santa is just a figment of someone's imagination". LOL

pixelpusher

I completely agree with not doing the Santa thing. We never have in our house. Can't lie to kids about Santa then expect them to believe in Jesus. But I know some do, sister Betty. As a kid I too was fed the Santa story, until me and my cousin discovered the boxes some Santa gifts had come in and put 2+2 together. Despite having been a Santa believer, then disappointedly not, God still made sure the seeds of the Gospel were sown in my life, and watered and Pastor Will brought it all together and led me to Christ during our pre marriage counseling. So "doing" Santa does not automatically ruin everything, necessarily, but I never could see lying to our kids, and when we got pregnant with DS#1, we determined together that we would take a pass on Santa.

My seven year old though... Despite us always having told him we buy the gifts, and Jesus IS the Gift, he STILL argues that Santa is too real. I guess kids at school told him that, and he thinks mom and dad are so dumb that we don't know this. :doh:

That child may be a problem. Pray for him as I am, we are teaching him, but he will be easily swayed. His favorite character in Narnia is the white witch, and Edmund. Doesn't care for Aslan too much. He has all my self centered-ness, plus some. By his own mouth, he is "not sure I am a Christian" he is going to be eight soon, and I feel his understanding is getting to a point where he needs to make a decision, so that is going to be a focus more and more this year, to lead him to Christ. Thank God his brother is saved and unashamedly. Sorry for the minor thread jacking, just venting alongside Livingskies! :hehheh :pray: for DS Ian.

pixelpusher

Praying with you for Ian. :pray:
Thank you, Kem, and to all who will remember him in prayer. One good thing is, he adores his big brother, and Jason (bb) helps us witness to him. I'm sure he will see the light by God's grace, just as we all did, because Jesus loves him even more.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Just remember to lead your son, pixelpusher, not attempt to drive him. A hard thing to do when we love our children and want so badly for them to come to Christ. :hug

pixelpusher

Just remember to lead your son, pixelpusher, not attempt to drive him. A hard thing to do when we love our children and want so badly for them to come to Christ. :hug
Good advice, and we are trying, but not too hard. Yes, driven, he would rebel for sure. My prayer most often when putting him down at night is for God to speak His truths to Ian's heart. It's by His Spirit that he will see his need for Jesus.

twit

Christmas is nothing more than a pagan festivle. One day a year the world acknowledges Jesus and then deny Him the rest of the year.

Christians are taught in the NT to remember Jesus' birth, life, death and ressurrection every Lord's day assembled together; and everyday as an individual saint.

However, I can show goodwill to all no matter the season. Getting a children's Bible into a home without Christ is always a good thing in my eyes. Helping someone out who may be in need is always good, too.

Maybe everyday should be Christmas for believers!

LivnForChrist

Jesus Christ is Lord
I too celebrate Christmas with all the trimmings but do not allow any Santa stuff.
I won't even by Christmas wrap if it has Santa on it. Finding out Santa wasn't real as
a child was the first time I learned that I couldn't trust my parents and that they were liars.
I was an extremely sensitive child and one that believes in honesty at all cost so it hurt deeply.
I never allowed my kids to believe Santa was real and I'm glad to this day that I didn't.

Heistheway

Satan is well known for taking a truth and warping it into a point of contention. A human being conceived the Santa story, probably with good intentions in mind. But our mind is incapable of not being misled by malicious powers. Our only protection is building a base of solid Truth, knowledge of the Father through the Son, and acceptance of the Holy Spirit to guide us. With those essential "ballast" in our minds, the untruthful fantasies just won't fly.

Never try to align men's vain imaginings with biblical Truths. It just won't happen.