Sabbath - how do you keep the sabbath?

GotGrace

How do you keep the sabbath or do you?

Do you actually work six days and rest the seventh?

Does your sabbath include hobbies you enjoy?

I’m curious how everyone spends their sabbath.

chaser

We trust you Jesus, you are the only King forever!
How do you keep the sabbath or do you?
We pray early(3 or 4 am) then read the Word, play lots of praise music and fill the house with it, sometimes for a couple hours
Watch a few preachers online.

Do you actually work six days and rest the seventh?
We try not to work, but today Mary was called in so off she went, I made dinner and did some baking. I try not doing any strenuous work on a Sunday, unless it is something serious that has to be done.

Does your sabbath include hobbies you enjoy?
Sometimes we will go to a lake and cook out later in the day, maybe relax and fish a bit if Mary has the day off, she usually gets 1 day off work a week.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I was brought up believing Sundays were to be a day of rest. Mama cooked. We went to church. No buying.

When I was working, I usually worked every other weekend, so I worked plenty on Sundays.

Now, Wayne goes to church, I go if I can, we have Sunday dinner, watch TV, he will usually nap. We don't do any strenuous work unless necessary. We usually do rest. As far as hobbies....I will sew a bit sometimes. My grandkids usually come swim when it's hot. We will eat out and will go to the grocery if needed.

borrowedtime

To be honest i don't observe it , but most definitely will if it is required in the next life
Yup. I am not bound to Mosaic Law. Sabbath was a shadow of things to come and Christ is my sabbath rest.

“One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭14:5-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/1/rom.14.5-6.kjv

GotGrace

We pray early(3 or 4 am) then read the Word, play lots of praise music and fill the house with it, sometimes for a couple hours
Watch a few preachers online.

We try not to work, but today Mary was called in so off she went, I made dinner and did some baking. I try not doing any strenuous work on a Sunday, unless it is something serious that has to be done.

Sometimes we will go to a lake and cook out later in the day, maybe relax and fish a bit if Mary has the day off, she usually gets 1 day off work a week.
It sounds like you are doing an excellent job of leading your family.

GotGrace

Well for me corporate worship is a recharging of my spiritual batteries if you will because the world will try to drain it out in the coming week. I enjoy the fellowship and there is something about knowing that my brothers and sisters in Christ pray for me. I want and need to sit under the teaching of the word.

Since the virus made its appearance and services have been online I haven’t done very well with worshipping. Being at home my mind seems to get caught up in what needs to be done or what I want to do. I’m looking forward to in-person services starting back up next Sunday, May 31.

Snowflake

Between 5 PM Friday and 5 PM Saturday, I do nothing I consider to be work. Unfortunately, I'm a firefighter/EMT, so when the alarm goes off, I have to go. I put that under "Sabbath was made for Man, not Man for the Sabbath."

But other than that, no work. So I make sure to clean the cat box before, take out the garbage, all the stuff before it hits. Or it waits until after.

Commandment IV: Honour the Sabbath and keep it holy.

Jette_516

We sleep in, get ready for church, eat lunch with my parents, nap, go to choir practice and Bible study. I’ll go to the grocery store on the way home and then get ready for the next week. Since the safer at home orders, we’ve been listening online instead of going to church. Other than that, our routine has remained focused on God and rest. If the ‘ox is in the ditch’, we will get it out and then resume our routine.

chaser

We trust you Jesus, you are the only King forever!
It sounds like you are doing an excellent job of leading your family.
It's easy we are both for the most part on same schedule/like minded, both early risers, easier to pray and do reading early before thoughts of the world and the day ahead get in the way. Sometimes even in the morning my mind will wander. I bet when we are all with the Lord worship will be wonderfully spectacular and will always be that way.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
In Christ, the Sabbath is not a day. It's a state of being.

Hebrews 4:1-11

That said, there is nothing wrong with setting aside some extra free time every week to concentrate on God.