Russia's only aircraft carrier damaged after crane falls on it

Discussion in 'Gog / Magog' started by Almost Heaven, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Almost Heaven

Almost Heaven Well-Known Member

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia’s only aircraft carrier was damaged while undergoing repairs in the north of the country after the floating dock holding it sank in the early hours of Tuesday and a crane crashed onto its deck, tearing a gash up to 5 meters wide.

The Admiral Kuznetsov has seen action in Russia’s military campaign in Syria in support of President Bashar al-Assad with its planes carrying out air strikes against rebel forces.

It was being overhauled on one of the world’s biggest floating docks in the icy waters of the Kola Bay near Murmansk close to where Russia’s Northern Fleet is based and was due to go back into service in 2021.

Maria Kovtun, Murmansk’s governor, said in a statement that a rescue operation had been launched and 71 people evacuated after the floating dock holding the ship had begun to sink.

The warship had been successfully extracted from the dock before it completely sank, she said.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...damaged-after-crane-falls-on-it-idUSKCN1N410U

SonSeeker, pixelpusher, Kem and 4 others like this.
  2. Kaatje

Kaatje Well-Known Member

How small accidents can have wide ramifications.

SonSeeker, Lynn, pixelpusher and 5 others like this.
  3. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

It wasn't much of an aircraft carrier to begin with.
    The scuttlebutt I heard was that it broke down frequently and had to be tugged often from place to place.

4. athenasius

athenasius Well-Known Member

Probably built in the Soviet era when a lot of things were built without due care and attention. Also with substandard metals and so forth.

5. lenraff

lenraff Member

Sounds like an upcoming Chinese purchase. LOL

6. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

They beat you to the punch. I believe China has already built or had built a new aircraft carrier based on the Russian design.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Well-Known Member

Navies are extremely expensive, which is why you can judge a lot about a state/country by their Navy.

8. pixelpusher

pixelpusher Well-Known Member

That is because boats, whether for pleasure or defense, are basically all holes in the water into which one throws money by the fistful and bucket.

Except for kayaks. Usually.

athenasius, SonSeeker, Lynn and 2 others like this.
  9. Jonathan

Jonathan Well-Known Member

Hehe. I used to be, and still am really, an aviation enthusiast, and I've heard people well off enough to own an airplane call it "A hole in the sky!" Lol. But seriously, history has a lot of examples where a Navy has bankrupted a nation.

10. Cindy S.

Cindy S. Well-Known Member

11. SonSeeker

SonSeeker Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the number of aircraft carriers by country.
    The United States has 20.:salute
    The rest of the entire world has .......get this.....20!
    And most of those are US allies.:doh
    Since Russia really doesn't have one at this time, the rest of the world only has 19!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018 at 1:15 PM
  12. athenasius

athenasius Well-Known Member

Anchors Aweigh me maties! Sounds like a pretty good set of numbers. Way to go America!

chaser, SonSeeker and Jan51 like this.
  13. SonSeeker

SonSeeker Well-Known Member

Right on, Margery!:thumbup

cchomeschoolmom likes this.