Russia's defence minister wants to CLONE 3,000-year-old ancient warriors from remains found in Siberia

Lovin Jesus

Russia's defence minister has taken time out from massing troops on Ukraine's borders to unveil a 'Dolly the Sheep' cloning dream involving ancient royal warriors and their prize horses using DNA preserved in permafrost.
Sergei Shoigu - one of Vladimir Putin's closest allies - spoke about the potential of the extraordinary 3,000-year-old Scythian burials in Tuva, his mountainous native republic in Siberia.

The ancient Tunnug burial site of nomadic warriors - often laid to rest with their horses - is in an area known as the Valley of the Kings in Tuva.
When Shoigu, 65, initiated the Russian-Swiss archeological digs here three years ago a modern-day shaman was even drafted in by scientists to ensure the excavations did not anger the spirits.

The defence chief told a session of the Russian Geographical Society, also attended remotely by Putin, on Wednesday: 'Of course, we would like very much to find the organic matter.'
He was referring to well-preserved remains of ancient people and animals, explained TASS.
'I believe you understand what would follow that,' said Shoigu in a broadcast by Zvezda TV.

Read further
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ts-CLONE-3-000-year-old-ancient-warriors.html

Son of the Rock

They're calling them 'Scythians', but that's a mistake by these anthropologists. Classic 'Scythians' were called that by Greeks, I'ts a greek term for 'Barbarian', nothing more. It does not denote a particular ethnicity, therefore to use it for what appears to be a band of proto-Mongolian tribesmen warriors, likely the dead from some battle, is misleading by these so-called 'scientists'. Guess I'm just being a perfectionist, being an anthropology and history buff and all. Just hadda say it.

athenasius

I would respectfully disagree with you there, they are mentioned by the likes of Paul in the Bible, Josephus, and Herodotus and various dig sites have located evidence of them as a separate and distinct people. Not just generic barbarians.

Paul mentions them specifically in Colossians 3:11

Here is a link to an article mentioning all the historicity. https://www.cbeinternational.org/re...thians-who-were-they-and-why-did-paul-include

Josephus mentions them in his book 1 chapter 6 of the Antiquities of the Jews here at this site for easy reading http://penelope.uchicago.edu/josephus/ant-1.html

Just scroll down to chapter 6-- it explains his knowledge as a contemporary of Jesus and Paul. This was current common knowledge of his time, and while the historians of our day differ, those of earlier times are the best sources we have, along with the Bible. Everything later is conjecture.

Jonathan

Fun thing about the name. According to my classics teacher of History in college (who taught things that were not always true (Matt 54 pointed this out in relation to the Phonetic alphabet) had explained the origin of the name "Barbarian," is follows:

The word "barbarian" most likely came from the people of proper, powerful non-roaming civilizations like the Greeks or Romans, whom, when coming in contact with roaming and invading groups they weren't familiar with (particularly their language), they would refer to them as Barbarians for the following reason:

Not knowing their language, the other culture's language sounded like "Barbar bar barbar ba bar ba bar," to them (an exaggeration of course, but you get the idea). Thus the name "Barbarians."

This would only apply if the nation being invaded or meeting for the first time knew nothing of this new culture. In time, they would learn their culture, name, etc. But in the mean time, "Barbarian" was it. Which doesn't mean it wasn't a term of derision as well for people they knew all about.

ETA: There was never a group of people who seriously self-identified or went by the name of "Barbarians." It was a catch all term used as described above.

And if that is wrong, I am writing my history professor and demanding the tuition fees for his classes back ASAP.

Last edited:

Rocky Rivera

What's that going to do? It's not like after the cloning process is completed, this great mighty warrior like He-Man will pop out. They'll all start out as a cooing, crying baby which needs to be nurtured and raised. Are they going to train them up to be killing machines, deprived of a normal childhood? That's child abuse.

Wings Like Eagles

Fun thing about the name. According to my classics teacher of History in college (who taught things that were not always true (Matt 54 pointed this out in relation to the Phonetic alphabet) had explained the origin of the name "Barbarian," is follows:

The word "barbarian" most likely came from the people of proper, powerful non-roaming civilizations like the Greeks or Romans, whom, when coming in contact with roaming and invading groups they weren't familiar with (particularly their language), they would refer to them as Barbarians for the following reason:

Not knowing their language, the other culture's language sounded like "Barbar bar barbar ba bar ba bar," to them (an exaggeration of course, but you get the idea). Thus the name "Barbarians."

This would only apply if the nation being invaded or meeting for the first time knew nothing of this new culture. In time, they would learn their culture, name, etc. But in the mean time, "Barbarian" was it. Which doesn't mean it wasn't a term of derision as well for people they knew all about.

ETA: There was never a group of people who seriously self-identified or went by the name of "Barbarians." It was a catch all term used as described above.

And if that is wrong, I am writing my history professor and demanding the tuition fees for his classes back ASAP.
It may be likely that your professor made that one up as well--the invading hordes were probably NOT into "baby talk". I think rather that it probably got its founding in the same place that gave rise to the modern Italian expression of "que barba" which is said derisively to a conversational antagonist. Among Italians, the explanation of the mild insult of "que barba" is, "...what a beard!" extending as, "what a beard I am growing while listening to you go on and on!" Think of the words even in English that use "barb" as referencing facial hair or the jaw--barber, barbels (referring to the jaws of a fish), etc. Since Greek and Roman statues of that day were almost always clean-shaven (occasionally depicted as short-bearded and even less often as a long-bearded elderly man) and the invading hordes were always pictured with beards, I suspect this is the real source of the name.

Jonathan

Could be, but is is more likely, in my opinion, that the word came to mean other things as time went along. To quote a page on history.com:

The word “barbarian” originated in ancient Greece, and was initially used to describe all non-Greek-speaking peoples, including Persians, Egyptians, Medes and Phoenicians. The ancient Greek word “bárbaros,” from which it derives, meant “babbler,” and was onomatopoeic: In the Greek ear, speakers of a foreign tongue made unintelligible sounds (“bar bar bar”). Similar words exist in other Indo-European languages, including the Sanskrit “barbara,” which means “stammering.”