Russian loses in the thousands

Lastcall

Javelin! $100,000 a pop and worth every penny! Lock sight on tank and fire. Run away if you like - it’s “fire and forget”. The missile rises to come straight down on the tank top (thinnest armor there). 95 percent success rate.
I was just skimming through the posts, seeing if anyone else reported on the Javelin.

Being a Russian tanker now has a short life span. These shoulder mounted weapons can hit a tank from well over 2500 meters away. Ukraine soliders, or even civilians could be hiding in any apartment or store, or even in a car, fire quickly, destroying the tank and those inside. The downside - whoever fires this rocket will easily be spotted from the blast, and missle trail, especially at night. Other tanks will zero in quickly for the kill. From a military perspective, taking at one entire tank and crew is worth the one life of who fired the Javelin.

My first job in the Marines was as a Dragon anti tank team member. The Javelin is what eventually replaced the Dragon. This system only had a range of 1000 meters, and was a wire guided system, which means when I pulled the trigger to launch the missile, a wire was attached for the entire flight of the missle, and I would aim the missle with my sights, and the wire would allow the missle to make some corrections in its path. We were told back then if we ever go in combat with this weapon, pull the trigger once, and you probably will never get another chance, so make it count…o_O. Luckily, never had to deploy with it.

heisable2

Burying the dead for 7 months, burning weapons for 7 years.
I just read that Russia has mobile crematory trucks. The trucks follow the soldiers. That would be unnerving. Russia lies to the families. I don't think they write down the names. This way Russia can report less deaths. Is this true?

If it is, maybe Israel can burn up the dead bodies. The Bible says 7 years to bury.....there must be more dead than originally thought. The machine burns up 8-10 dead per day.

Sorry for the gruesome text.

GHoe

So you think Ukraine should just surrender to Russia and not fight back? I'm not being snarky- I'm trying to understand your post.
You are putting words in my mouth. My post is not emotional as yours appears to be, it's more a factual account of the truth as of now. While the civilians were once "harmless and unarmed" (likely true of the majority), many have now been handed arms and called to act against Russian forces.

Personally I'm all for that, but it kind of muddied that water in regard to news reports of dead civilians of they had inbgact transitioned into armed militia by the state. There is a lot of deceit in the news (likely from both sides) unless you believe the "Ghost of Kyiv" story is real then, very well.

kathymendel

GHoe.........

You make it sound like the Ukranians are in the wrong to take up arms and defend themselves..........
They did not take the initiative on this..........they armed and began fighting as the Russians attacked.
If an entity attacked our land on our soil, and threatened the lives of your family, would you not take up arms to defend them??
Would you not expect others to do so??
I would hope and pray that we would find among our people patriots like the Ukranians right now...........but, I'm not sure just how
many would be brave enough to do so in our society in these troubling days.

GHoe

They weren't a threat until the Russians forced them to be. Sure they are fighting back now, but only because their home country is being destroyed. This conflict was started by the Russians and now the people of the Ukraine are doing what they have to. If Putin gets bogged down in the Ukraine, maybe he will think twice about going any further.

I agree and glad that some have been able to stop up. So far I'm not terribly impressed with Putin's assault. I think he will get bogged down. Problem is I'm not sure Putin will turn back. I fear he may double down when he's faced with looking like he's retreating.

Mr Hill

I agree and glad that some have been able to stop up. So far I'm not terribly impressed with Putin's assault. I think he will get bogged down. Problem is I'm not sure Putin will turn back. I fear he may double down when he's faced with looking like he's retreating.
I don't think he will turn back. He's made his move and he's all in, no matter the cost. This isn't going to get better soon, but maybe they can bloody his nose a bit.

GHoe

GHoe.........

You make it sound like the Ukranians are in the wrong to take up arms and defend themselves..........
They did not take the initiative on this..........they armed and began fighting as the Russians attacked.
If an entity attacked our land on our soil, and threatened the lives of your family, would you not take up arms to defend them??
Would you not expect others to do so??
I would hope and pray that we would find among our people patriots like the Ukranians right now...........but, I'm not sure just how
many would be brave enough to do so in our society in these troubling days.
Lol, I'm not taking this personal at all. But please re-read my original post from a factual stand point. I just stated the news..."facts as they were reported". I didn't put an opinion on it. Civilians that were once harmless are now armed.. that is a fact and yes I agree it was because they were attacked (I didn't say anything contrary to that) I dont see how that makes me a russian sympathizer ? Geeze

I didn't take a side and I'm all for them fighting for themselves and rescuing the country.

Emotions are pretty running high, clearly no room for analytics of relevant facts.

GHoe

Sorry if I offended................ your post just hit me as kind of a "yeah, well.........look what the Ukranians are doing"....... in a negative way.
Didn't mean for it to come across that way at all and I'm glad we could talk about it. As a retired Police Officer, I'm all for peoples defending themselves so that's where I stand, period. It was really a rather emotionless post on my end. But I understand people have strong emotions / feelings about this stuff.

I think because of my career as an officer I see things change and my perspective can change. Especially regarding someone who's labeled "unarmed and harmless" vs now armed, yet still being labeled harmless?

It's the difference between Russia possibly committing a war crime in purposely killing an unarmed citizen vs now killing an armed (by the state) citizen who was absorbed into the military and not acting as a harmless uninvolved party.

While yes terrible for a death of a Ukranian citizen to die period, I see a slight distinction regarding "harmless" that maybe some do not. Still sad, still not sympathizing with Russia. That Russian soldier is doing his job too, whether he likes it or not. There is no winner here.

Anyways that was my intent.

NewWine2020

I was just over at the BBc and came across this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60517447

Ukraine says 3,500 Russian soldiers killed so far

The Ukrainian military has published what they claim is a breakout of Russia's losses.

According to a post on its Facebook page, more than 3,500 Russian soldiers involved in the invasion have been killed and almost 200 taken prisoner.

They add that Russia has also lost 14 aircraft, 8 helicopters, and 102 tanks so far. The BBC is unable to independently verify any of these claims.

Russia has so far not acknowledged any casualties.

I'm not sure what to think of these numbers. I think after Thursday when the invasion started that it said that about 150 Ukrainians had died after the first day.

If it is true, there's no telling what the Ukrainian numbers are. I saw one place where they have a truck mounted crematorium following Russian soldiers around so they can get rid of the bodies. They said it is so Russia doesn't have to send body bags home. :ohno

That is simply vile.

If this is true, A lot of brokenhearted Russian fathers and mothers who will never really know what happened, nor never really get full closure or a chance to say goodbye/pay last respects to their fallen son.

NewWine2020

I love the Ukrainian president. Now that's a man who loves his country! A true leader.

I am pinning his words to the walls of my life to be recalled whenever I am in a tough situation: "I don't need a ride; I need ammo."

True leaders who are willing to lay down their own lives for their people and their principles are so very rare. This is how one inspires and leads; from the front.

I would lay odds 99% of our politicians would have gone into hiding or prostrated themselves before Vlad and begged for peace at any price by now.

NewWine2020

let's not take sides stay neutral as both side are gentile power that reject the truth of the Gospel
Abraham looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God

but Christian's seek a better country, that is , an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepare for them a city(hebrew 11)

I understand where you're coming from, but even at the secular level, I will always back and support the underdog who is brave enough to stand up and spit in a much stronger attackers face.

I absolutely detest bullies; this is nothing more than bullying on a national level and it's very inspiring to see a nation with people (from the young to the aged) who actually think their own country is worth physically fighting for.

GHoe

My first job in the Marines was as a Dragon anti tank team member. The Javelin is what eventually replaced the Dragon. This system only had a range of 1000 meters, and was a wire guided system, which means when I pulled the trigger to launch the missile, a wire was attached for the entire flight of the missle, and I would aim the missle with my sights, and the wire would allow the missle to make some corrections in its path.
It would be cool to know that maximum "in flight" course correction it was capable of making.

Lastcall

It would be cool to know that maximum "in flight" course correction it was capable of making.
I cant remember exactly, but it was not much. The missle travelled at approx 100 meters per second. In theory, from 900 meters away, I could fire at a tank, the round would take 9 seconds to impact. However, if the tank crew was good, and observed the backblast from my weapon, they could turn and fire at me, killing me before the round reached his tank. Also, with me being blown up, the round would cease tracking the tank, an ver way off course. Fun times, glad I missed the real deal back then.

Lastcall

They have whats called a Aviation Thermobaric Bomb of Increased Power (ATBIP) nicknamed “the father of all bombs FOAB”

The thermobaric device yields the equivalent of 44 tons of TNT using about seven tons of a new type of high explosive.[7] Because of this, the bomb's blast and pressure wave have a similar effect to a small tactical nuclear weapon. The bomb works by detonating in mid-air. Most damage is inflicted by a supersonic shockwave and extremely high temperatures. Thermobaric weapons differ from conventional explosive weapons in that they generate a longer, more sustained blast wave with greater temperatures. In doing so, they produce more damage over a larger area than a conventional weapon of similar mass.

crunchymama

You are putting words in my mouth. My post is not emotional as yours appears to be, it's more a factual account of the truth as of now. While the civilians were once "harmless and unarmed" (likely true of the majority), many have now been handed arms and called to act against Russian forces.

Personally I'm all for that, but it kind of muddied that water in regard to news reports of dead civilians of they had inbgact transitioned into armed militia by the state. There is a lot of deceit in the news (likely from both sides) unless you believe the "Ghost of Kyiv" story is real then, very well.
lol My post wasn't at all emotional. If you have many people mis-understanding your post, then you worded something wrong. I'm not interested in arguing and was asking for clarification because your post seemed to say the Ukrainians were no longer innocent because they are now armed. They're still innocent- they're being invaded unprovoked by an army 3x bigger than theirs. I should hope the men stay and fight as they are supposed to! And I should hope they would be armed.

jayhawkbasketball

From everything I’ve read, it sounds like Russia has only sent in about half of their troops. If that’s true, it will probably get bad for Ukraine in the coming weeks. They seem to be putting up a good fight, but I doubt they can hold on if Russia pushes through at full force. Sounds like Putin and the generals are almost “probing” Ukraine defenses at this point…just holding back and waiting things out to make some big moves.

I don’t know, but I don’t have a good feeling about it. It will be interesting to see how Putin plays this based on knowledge gained from watching the U.S. for the last twenty years.

Glorydaz

With all due respect, we absolutely MUST take sides here. It is Russia, not the Ukraine, that is trying to rebuild their empire and may spark world war III in the process. It is Russia, not the Ukraine, that is sending troops to murder innocent civilians who pose no threat to anybody. And it is Russia, not the Ukraine, that has the military strength and the full support of China and could use it to hit us with an attack the likes of which we haven't seen since WWII.

If this escalates much further, staying neutral is an option nobody will have.
If this escalates much further, the rapture might be at hand.