Russia Sentences WNBA Star Griner to 9 Years in Prison

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Russia says it is ready to discuss prisoner swap with U.S

(Reuters) -Russia said on Friday it was ready to discuss prisoner swaps with the United States through an existing diplomatic channel, a day a Russian court sentenced basketball star Brittney Griner to nine years in prison for a drugs offence.

Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said President Vladimir Putin and his U.S. counterpart Joe Biden had previously agreed on a diplomatic channel that should be used to discuss such matters.

"We are ready to discuss this topic, but within the framework of the channel that was agreed upon by presidents Putin and Biden," Lavrov said during a visit to Cambodia.

"If the Americans decide to once again resort to public diplomacy..., that is their business and I would even say that it is their problem."

https://www.aol.com/news/russia-ready-discuss-prisoner-swap-060434962-073314899.html

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/griner-russia-sentence/2022/08/04/id/1081741/

:pray ing for grace and mercy for this young lady, as we all need, and that the Lord would send Christians and a bible her way and use this situation for good somehow.

:pray

The Lutherans and Orthodox both have prison ministries there. Both provide Bibles, but I don't know if they're all in Russian or if English-language available. Also don't know if all the services and Bible studies are in Russian, or if English-language available. Since Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) and Evangelical Lutheran Church in Russia (ELCIR) are in altar and pulpit communion, if the Lutheran ministry asks for an English-language Bible, etc. for her, LCMS will send one to them to give to her. Russian Orthodox Church in America (ROCA) or Orthodox Church in America (OCA), which have English-language Bibles, etc., would also send if requested from their sister churches.

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
The Lutherans and Orthodox both have prison ministries there. Both provide Bibles, but I don't know if they're all in Russian or if English-language available. Also don't know if all the services and Bible studies are in Russian, or if English-language available. Since Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) and Evangelical Lutheran Church in Russia (ELCIR) are in altar and pulpit communion, if the Lutheran ministry asks for an English-language Bible, etc. for her, LCMS will send one to them to give to her. Russian Orthodox Church in America (ROCA) or Orthodox Church in America (OCA), which have English-language Bibles, etc., would also send if requested from their sister churches.

If she gets sent to Siberia/Gulag, Siberian Evangelical Lutheran Church (SELC) is also in altar and pulpit fellowship with LCMS.

Carl

Russia says it is ready to discuss prisoner swap with U.S

(Reuters) -Russia said on Friday it was ready to discuss prisoner swaps with the United States through an existing diplomatic channel, a day a Russian court sentenced basketball star Brittney Griner to nine years in prison for a drugs offence.

Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said President Vladimir Putin and his U.S. counterpart Joe Biden had previously agreed on a diplomatic channel that should be used to discuss such matters.

"We are ready to discuss this topic, but within the framework of the channel that was agreed upon by presidents Putin and Biden," Lavrov said during a visit to Cambodia.

"If the Americans decide to once again resort to public diplomacy..., that is their business and I would even say that it is their problem."

https://www.aol.com/news/russia-ready-discuss-prisoner-swap-060434962-073314899.html
I think this is what it is all about. Russia wants to get someone that the US has in custody.

penbrat

https://abcnews.go.com/International/live-updates/brittney-griner-prisoner-swap/?id=94768055

The U.S. has swapped WNBA star Brittney Griner for convicted Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout, according to a senior U.S. official.

The basketball star was taken into custody at a Moscow area airport in February in possession of vaping cartridges containing hashish oil, an illegal substance in Russia.

Griner pleaded guilty and was sentenced to nine years in prison.

Aiyanna

9 years is the standard sentence in Russia for having illegal drugs. I seriously believe the US made a huge mistake in exchanging her for a dangerous arms dealer.
Not to mention no one seems to care about the US Marine who is still there. We should have fought for his release long before we even glanced at Griner.... IMHO...

Everyday I'm more and more frustrated, fed up with, and even ashamed of our leaders in office. I know what the Bible says to pray and give thanks for them.... I pray for their salvation and wisdom... But I really can't bring myself to give thanks for them....

Love4JC

9 years is the standard sentence in Russia for having illegal drugs. I seriously believe the US made a huge mistake in exchanging her for a dangerous arms dealer.
Not to mention no one seems to care about the US Marine who is still there. We should have fought for his release long before we even glanced at Griner.... IMHO...

Everyday I'm more and more frustrated, fed up with, and even ashamed of our leaders in office. I know what the Bible says to pray and give thanks for them.... I pray for their salvation and wisdom... But I really can't bring myself to give thanks for them....

This leadership currently occupying our offices now seems more of a curse and judgement on this nation.

Aiyanna

This leadership currently occupying our offices now seems more of a curse and judgement on this nation.
Judgment suggests God is already judging us. I don't believe that to be the case as Paul clearly states we (true Christians) are not subject to such wrath or Judgment. Jesus bore that Judgment for us. But we are indeed living in a very wicked and preverse generation. And Jesus did warn us it would get worse. I pray the rapture comes soon, I'm really not interested in seeing how bad "worse" can get.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
The inequity of the trade is stunning.

While Brittany's release from a soviet prison is a wonderful thing, there is another prison of sin to breakout of.
Praying.

Back