Russia Sentences WNBA Star Griner to 9 Years in Prison

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/griner-russia-sentence/2022/08/04/id/1081741/

....Griner had admitted having the vape cartridges containing hashish oil but said it was an honest mistake.

Before the verdict, she tearfully pleaded with a Russian judge not to "end her life" with a harsh prison sentence. The court also fined her 1 million rubles ($16,990).

..........Griner's lawyers said they would appeal. Her defense team said the court had ignored all evidence they had presented, as well as Griner's guilty plea.

"Taking into account the amount of the substance - not to mention the defects of the expertise - and the plea, the verdict is absolutely unreasonable," her defense team said in a statement.

The Russian prosecutor had called for Griner to be sentenced to 9-1/2 years prison if she was found guilty of bringing illegal drugs into the country.

Griner was detained at Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport on Feb. 17 with the cartridges containing hashish oil in her luggage. While she pleaded guilty, she said she had neither intended to bring a banned substance to Russia nor to hurt anybody.

"I made an honest mistake and I hope that in your ruling, that it doesn't end my life here," Griner said in court on Thursday before breaking down in tears.

"My parents taught me two important things: one, take ownership of your responsibilities and two, work hard for everything that you have. That's why I pled guilty to my charges."

"I want to say again that I had no intent on breaking any Russians laws," she told the court. "I had no intent, I did not conspire or plan to commit this crime."

.........Griner's defense team had called for her to be acquitted and said on Thursday that if the court deemed it necessary to punish her, she should be treated leniently. Alexander Boikov, one of her lawyers, said some of the case files had been drawn up in violation of the law.

...............In her testimony last week, Griner expressed puzzlement as to how the vape cartridges ended up in her luggage as she was flying back to Russia to join UMMC Ekaterinburg for the playoffs.

"I still don't understand to this day how they ended up in my bag," said Griner, the first pick overall in the 2013 WNBA draft. "If I had to guess on how they ended up in my bags, I was in a rush packing."

Griner had been prescribed medical marijuana in the United States to relieve pain from chronic injuries, a treatment method that is common among elite athletes because it has fewer side effects than some painkillers.

:pray ing for grace and mercy for this young lady, as we all need, and that the Lord would send Christians and a bible her way and use this situation for good somehow.

:pray

DWB

I really feel for this young lady, she has made a terrible mistake and now has to pay for it. How precious our freedom is here in the U.S.. Maybe she will learn a lesson about freedom and respecting the law, regardless of how severe we think the sentence may be, bringing cannabis into Communist Russia whether in leaf form or vape cartridge, was either incredibly stupid or incredibly elitist.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I really feel for this young lady, she has made a terrible mistake and now has to pay for it. How precious our freedom is here in the U.S.. Maybe she will learn a lesson about freedom and respecting the law, regardless of how severe we think the sentence may be, bringing cannabis into Communist Russia whether in leaf form or vape cartridge, was either incredibly stupid or incredibly elitist.

Yeah, not good decision making for sure. :sad And how many of us have made bad decisions for which God in His mercy did not allow the fullest measure of the law take hold? I'm grateful for mercy that was shown to me in the past and know that was the grace of God.

Perhaps yet God will work to bring about mercy for this young lady, and perhaps, in His mercy for her eternal sake, He's allowed this to cause her to turn to Him for His help in Jesus Christ. :pray

It's certainly a real life warning to guard against breaking the law and being careful and respectful when in other countries of their laws as well.

RonJohnSilver

I've followed Brittney since she was at Baylor and admired her skill on the court, certainly not her life choices. So, I'm sad this happened to her. At the same time, she has been playing in Russia for 8 years so she had ample time to know the laws of that country. Someone said on another site that had she done this in Indonesia, the penalty would be death. And, when in this country, she had no problem with criticizing America and the flag so there's more than a bit of irony here. Still though, I hope she comes to her senses and gets right with God. And then dumps her 'wife'.

NewWine2020

I really feel for this young lady, she has made a terrible mistake and now has to pay for it. How precious our freedom is here in the U.S.. Maybe she will learn a lesson about freedom and respecting the law, regardless of how severe we think the sentence may be, bringing cannabis into Communist Russia whether in leaf form or vape cartridge, was either incredibly stupid or incredibly
This is a harsh lesson for her and everyone else that there are govts that are far more repressive than the USA that don't care a bit if they are black, female, lesbian or a spoiled athlete.

I have little sympathy for her but the sentence DOES seem overly draconian. Not sure if parole is a thing in Russia or not.

TimeWarpWife

I've never been to Russia, but even I know that they have some of the strictest laws where drugs are concerned. Ms. Griner has been playing basketball in Russia for several years and she had to know about these laws also. She's 31 years old, she knew better, but made the choice to take illegal drugs with her anyway. Btw, she has repeatedly demonstrated her woke hatred for this country by taking kneels during the national anthem and bad mouthing the U. S. publicly. Therefore, she gets zero empathy or sympathy from me. Quite frankly, it's an asinine move for Biden's puppet masters to trade a convicted, murdering Russian arms dealer, nicknamed The Merchant of Death, for a spoiled, woke, ABC pervert. Yes, I understand that Mr. Whelan has been unjustly convicted of spying, but this isn't really about his release, otherwise the Biden lunatics would have already made a deal with the devil Russia. This is all about getting someone who checks all of the diversity boxes (black, female, lesbian, woke, hates the United States) out of trouble and it just makes me :furious that this evil, despicable administration is going to do this trade, releasing someone who's committed unknown numbers of murders for someone who knew better than to have drugs on her in Russia. :hairout

lamonte

Every country has their Laws, and we should obey them specially us that are followers of Christ. There are some exceptions such as preaching the Gospel

The use of Cannabis “marijuana” in Russia for medical purposes or I recreation purposes is not permitted.

Homosexuality---- Russia has long held strongly negative views regarding homosexuality, with recent polls indicating that most Russians are against the acceptance of homosexuality and have shown support for laws against homosexuals. Same-sex couples are unable to marry or adopt, and households headed by such couples are ineligible for the same legal protections available to heterosexual couples.

I personally feel she broke their laws even though she knew better. I do care for her salvation just like the law enforcement officer who arrested her or even Putin.

I like what Jesus said in Luke 9:57 And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto him, Lord, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest. 58 And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head. 59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. 60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.

The dead here is unbelievers “unsaved”. Let the world take care of the world, and my responsibility is to preach the Gospel.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
She committed the crime, and justice as been handed down to her. I don't feel bad for her as I like to see criminals convicted and sentenced. In the USA these days, there is not much justice in our criminal justice system. When one is in their own country they tend to know what to expect and what they can get away with. When I drive through Canada I am extra cautious because I don't want to inadvertantly do anything against their laws, laws that I'm not very familiar with. Praying that she finds Christ as she serves her time. :pray

soundingthealarm

IMHO she’s being used as a strategic chess piece by Russia, because our current administration is weak and no telling what kind of bargaining chip Grinder is in that she’s a public figure. I do pray it’s a redemptive moment in time in her life as age did do the crime but I seriously doubt she’d ever gone through absent current administration.

GHoe

Although there are many scenarios of how this will play out, these two stand out to me.

1) She could be blessed and have to serve a decent portion of time if not the entire 9 years, during which she could self evaluate, see herself as she is and put her hope in the sacrifice of Jesus as her savior. She could have peace with her time and could really have an impact on society with her testimony.

2) She puts her hope in Biden swapping her with "The Merchant of Death". She's already imagining the money she'll invetibly make from her book/movie deal that is bound to be capitalized on. She'll become the new face of social justice and with that she'll find fame and fortune.

Praying that option #1 plays out and with a minimum time served but as many of us know, God will let us walk in the wilderness as long as we need to.

soundingthealarm

forgive my last line I didn’t check that it auto filled…I pray it’s a redemptive time in her life for sure, and she did do the crime and therefore she needs to come to appreciate the freedom afforded her in a country she’s bashed but she’s unfortunate in that I do believe her case is being used for more than punishing her. I agree she will probably be traded for six or seven way more sinister kgb type prisoners probably right before November elections.

cheeky200386

She committed the crime, and justice as been handed down to her. I don't feel bad for her as I like to see criminals convicted and sentenced. In the USA these days, there is not much justice in our criminal justice system. When one is in their own country they tend to know what to expect and what they can get away with. When I drive through Canada I am extra cautious because I don't want to inadvertantly do anything against their laws, laws that I'm not very familiar with. Praying that she finds Christ as she serves her time. :pray
I agree! I actually wish we had much harsher penalties here where people would actually fear commiting them. Of course for things that align with the Bible.

TimeWarpWife

I was under the mistaken assumption that it was Russia who was trying to negotiate Ms. Griner's release in exchange for The Merchant of Death murderer. It's actually Biden's puppet masters' who initiated the offer to exchange the murderer for the checks-all-the-diversity-boxes wokester ~ and Putin has told Biden "no." It makes you wonder how much more Putin is waiting to be offered in order to say "yes" to the exchange ~ that's if he ever agrees to it. :hmmm

Neohistory

I just wonder why she would risk taking something like that with how relations are between the US and Russia. That’s a perfect excuse for Russia to issue heavy punishment against a citizen whom dwells within the country that is considered an enemy. Others need to take this as a teaching moment and be very very careful. Wonder if she will rethink her position about her own country after this experience, because it’s the only place that could possibly remedy this situation. I feel it’s highly unlikely, and she has now been caught in between all this, and Russia is not going to just change their mind.

Andy C

She’ll be home by Christmas. The sentence is a formality. I’m sure we’ll give up a terrorist or 6 for her release.
I agree. Her harsh sentence was more likely about leverage for a trade.

As TV character Tony Beretta (actor Robert Blake” said “dont do the crime, if you cant do the time”….Although Robert Blake may not be the best example of applying what his TV character said.

soundingthealarm

I agree. Her harsh sentence was more likely about leverage for a trade.

As TV character Tony Beretta (actor Robert Blake” said “dont do the crime, if you cant do the time”….Although Robert Blake may not be the best example of applying what his TV character said.
Quick detour from op

Beretta, Colombo, Telly Savalas….those were the days lolol

Back