Russia launches record 24-hour bombing blitz in Syria

Almost Heaven

Russian jets hit 118 targets in a day, beating Monday's previous record, as Moscow escalates airstrike campaign.

Russian warplanes have struck 118 "terrorist" targets in Syria over the past 24 hours in a new record, the defense ministry said on Wednesday, attributing the rise to new intelligence.

Russian jets hit 118 targets during 71 sorties over the provinces of Idlib, Homs, Hama, Aleppo, Damascus and Latakia, said the defense ministry.

It was the highest one-day tally since the Kremlin began its bombing campaign on September 30. The previous record was set on Monday when Moscow said it had struck 94 "terrorist" targets in Syria. The defense ministry released no information on Tuesday.

"The number of sorties has gone up," the ministry said in a statement. "This is due to an increase in intelligence data," it said, adding that targets had been "confirmed via various channels."

The strikes destroyed a command post near the town of Talbisseh inHoms province which belonged to Al-Qaeda affiliate Nusra Front, said the ministry.

Among the other targets was a base in Aleppo province used to control a "terrorist" weapon supply route which was "destroyed" along with car-mounted anti-aircraft systems that were protecting it, it said.

In Idlib province, the warplanes hit a "camouflaged supply base" with munitions and materiel, which caused an explosion that also destroyed trucks parked some 500 meters away.

Despite Moscow's claims that its campaign targets Islamic State (ISIS), reports have revealed that no less than a third of the dead are civilians, and the vast majority are Western backed rebel forces instead of ISIS.

The Syrian-American Medical Society last Thursday revealed that the Russians have already bombed nine hospitals or field clinics.

Russia on Tuesday angrily condemned the reports as being part of an "information war."
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/202588#.VjEYKLerTrc

Elena

And as this is happening, what are we doing to protect our friends whom we have supported with arms? .:popcorn2
I'm sorry but I'm confused. You said, "what are we doing to protect our friends who we have supplied with arms?"
Who is the we? And who are our friends?
Are you referring to the United States and the terrorist rebels?
Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you.♡

Andy C

I'm sorry but I'm confused. You said, "what are we doing to protect our friends who we have supplied with arms?"
Who is the we? And who are our friends?
Are you referring to the United States and the terrorist rebels?
Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you.♡

Sorry about my wording. The "we" is the USA and other western nations. Our "friends" are the rebels we have been backing in their fight against the forces of Assad. Friends was probably not a good choice of words.

athenasius

to Elena's question, ---Most of the so called "terrorists" that Russia is bombing are the very groups that the USA is arming to fight ISIS. Russia isn't bombing ISIS except by accident, it's taking out what Assad of Syria views as threats against Assad's reign of power in Syria. Since Russia is now in complete control of Assad, and has taken Latakia as it's new warm water port in the Med, which it's always wanted, it's basically working on eliminating opposition to Assad. Isis is on the back burner as far as Russia is concerned. Russia has indiscriminately bombed at least 3/4 of the hospitals that were totalled in the last 2 weeks according to the free Syrian army which is against Assad. Typical of the UN and MSF or Drs without borders, they don't specify who is bombing, implying that at least half or more is the American's fault which it is most definitely NOT! That is Russia basically taking out all support, medical as well as supply lines made up of civilians who are also being hit hard by this Russian show of force. Russia insists it is targeting ISIS but that is not what it is actually doing. They are in there to prop up the Assad regime and create a puppet government in Syria, run by themselves. Interestingly this also has implications for gas pipelines and the new oil field in the Golan Heights of Israel.

Elena

to Elena's question, ---Most of the so called "terrorists" that Russia is bombing are the very groups that the USA is arming to fight ISIS. Russia isn't bombing ISIS except by accident, it's taking out what Assad of Syria views as threats against Assad's reign of power in Syria. Since Russia is now in complete control of Assad, and has taken Latakia as it's new warm water port in the Med, which it's always wanted, it's basically working on eliminating opposition to Assad. Isis is on the back burner as far as Russia is concerned. Russia has indiscriminately bombed at least 3/4 of the hospitals that were totalled in the last 2 weeks according to the free Syrian army which is against Assad. Typical of the UN and MSF or Drs without borders, they don't specify who is bombing, implying that at least half or more is the American's fault which it is most definitely NOT! That is Russia basically taking out all support, medical as well as supply lines made up of civilians who are also being hit hard by this Russian show of force. Russia insists it is targeting ISIS but that is not what it is actually doing. They are in there to prop up the Assad regime and create a puppet government in Syria, run by themselves. Interestingly this also has implications for gas pipelines and the new oil field in the Golan Heights of Israel.
Yes! after Obama has said repeatedly said to the American people over 18 times that he would NEVER put boots on the ground... he just did it!
Why would anyone be surprised? Because after all..."if you like your doctor you can keep him."
Please excuse me while I go like my hair on fire!