Rude and Sarcastic Christians

Psalm37v4

I hope you won't mind another post from me...

How do you deal with rude, snarky, selfish or mean Christians? The kind who don't seem to know how to show respect or compassion, and reply with either sarcasm, insult, or laughter? I am trying to share the Gospel and I've been getting a lot of these types of posts and replies from believers. I'm not surprised there is so much of this in the Last Days (or Last Seconds!), but is there any way I can address them without stooping to their level?

Thank you! :)

Last edited:

Momma D

I have dealt with situations like this, and when the conversation reaches the point you describe, I just say ...this conversation is over...and walk away, hoping to remember to say a prayer for the person I was talking to.
They have made their choice...

ETA: I use this same technique with non-believers who just want to get you angry.
I can put up a good fight, but never in these types of situations. I basically just leave them in God's hands, who is the only one who can change their heart.

Last edited:

athenasius

Momma D has wisdom.

Psalm37v4 I'd say you can rely on the Holy Spirit to work in their lives in whatever way God chooses to do it. That's His job. Ours is to give them a chance, speak as the Lord gives us to speak, then be silent and let the Holy Spirit work. It's hard to let go and walk away but it's best.

Especially if they are angry because God is convicting their hearts of sin.

They'll try to change the subject or start a fight instead. Remember the woman at the well with Jesus, He is hitting too close to home for her comfort, so she reminds Him of the age old fight about where to worship between the Jews and the Samaritans. It's what people do when they are uncomfortable.

Let them be uncomfortable and move on, so that God can really work on their hearts.

Another thing.

When Jesus sent His disciples out, He gave instructions for what to do when people in a town refused to listen. They were to shake the dust off their sandals and leave.

Jesus also said not to cast pearls before swine, lest they tear you in pieces.

Matthew 10:14 New International Version (NIV)
14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet.

Mark 6:11 New International Version (NIV)
11 And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, leave that place and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.”

Matthew 7:6 New International Version (NIV)
6 “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

TeeTee

When I first got saved, my best friend Ms X would always try to "correct me". We would get into doctrinal arguements. She was very carnal christian. Gambling, partying, smoking and drinking. When I got saved I totally changed and stopped doing those things with her. I realized she was angry with me and jealous that I radically changed. One day we got into a fight. The Lord told me to walk away. I did and never spoke with her again. She had alot of emotional baggage and she never really took it to the Lord. I felt bad and I pray for her, but I realize I had to leave and the Lord will have to deal with her. I also lost other several close friends too. It was hard being alone. These people were trying to drag me down. I had know these people 15-20 years and was like my family. Now I see it was the best thing I did. Sometimes you just got to let go and walk away. The Lord will deal with them. It is useless to engage in endless debates.

Spartan Sprinter 1

How do you deal with rude, snarky, selfish or mean Christians? The kind who don't seem to know how to show respect or compassion, and reply with either sarcasm, insult, or laughter? I am trying to share the Gospel and I've been getting a lot of these types of posts and replies from believers. I'm not surprised there is so much of this in the Last Days (or Last Seconds!), but is there any way I can address them without stooping to their level?

As Andy C said just give them the biggest smile you got and say God bless you my friend and walk away

Momma D

Tee Tee, just a quick response to your above post...
I had a Christian friend who had a lot of problems. She called me often to dump her problems on me. Never just to say hi, or ask how I was doing.
I was going crazy, and finally talked to a former pastor about this. I thought his response was profound.
He told me she was a spiritual leech, and was draining the strength from me.
His advice was to completely cut off communication with her.
I did, was the Lord was able to give me back the strength I had before this started.
Bless you friend, you did good :hug

ByGod'sGrace

I had a Christian friend who had a lot of problems. She called me often to dump her problems on me. Never just to say hi, or ask how I was doing.
I was going crazy, and finally talked to a former pastor about this. I thought his response was profound.
I did, was the Lord was able to give me back the strength I had before this started.
Thank you for sharing this. I went through a similar experience with a Christian friend. It got to the point where I couldn't handle the multiple times per week two hour phone conversations anymore with the emotional dumping, so I made myself unavailable. At first she was very angry and I had to stay strong because my first instinct is to try to heal; I need to learn to move aside for God to work. But after 5 months of no contact, I can honestly say that something in me unclenched and I feel stronger and more peaceful. I am proud of you for how you handled this situation!! As for dealing with snarky Christians, haha, I've tried talking theology with snarky pastors and it kind of shocked me, so I just stayed quiet and smiled and walked away. As my mom told me, "let it go in one ear and out the other."

Dave

They probably won't have very many rewards waiting for them in Heaven.

TeeTee

Thank you for your answer. Now I know I was not the only one who did this. Felt guilty about it. I realized it was the best decision (obediance) that I did later. Yes some people drain you. Lord have mercy on them.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I had to stay strong because my first instinct is to try to heal; I need to learn to move aside for God to work.
This is such a hard lesson for most people to learn because of our desire to help or protect; but it is oh so very necessary!!! Even with our own loved ones we have to make sure we do not get between God and them by trying to soften or deflect what He is trying to do in their life. Hard, hard lesson to accept.

yeshua'sbride

♥ Standing with Israel
This is such a hard lesson for most people to learn because of our desire to help or protect; but it is oh so very necessary!!! Even with our own loved ones we have to make sure we do not get between God and them by trying to soften or deflect what He is trying to do in their life. Hard, hard lesson to accept.
Wisdom and truth right there. It's so difficult sometimes to step aside and let God do what only He can do, but even in all our desperation for our loved ones, it's the best thing we can do for them. :sad

Judy4Jesus

Wisdom and truth right there. It's so difficult sometimes to step aside and let God do what only He can do, but even in all our desperation for our loved ones, it's the best thing we can do for them. :sad
:sad I agree and found myself doing this in my life/family. I've learned finally to step off, do what I'm "told/lead" to do and LET GOD DO GOD!

Lynn

Even with our own loved ones we have to make sure we do not get between God and them by trying to soften or deflect what He is trying to do in their life. Hard, hard lesson to accept.
Yes, I agree! As I've grown older, I have some insights into my former helping behavior & the motives that may have been at the bottom. Because I was a secular counselor, prior to salvation, I thought I was a 'wise' person who generally knew the 'answer' to people's problems. Once I became a Christian, I then realized that apart from Him, I can do nothing. In my dealings with difficult people, I thought I could 'fix' them if I just hung in there long enough (trust in my own 'wisdom'). God's Word transforms fallen, sinful people, not anything or anyone else. When someone is difficult, I can't change them by saying new words or trying new tactics. I pray for these people that God will deal with them, and for Him to do whatever He knows must be done in order for them to change. I'm willing to be a player in His plan, but only if I feel strongly led that direction. If not, then it's best to walk away and ask the Lord to bring someone else into their life that is better equipped to help them. But, always pray. God can order their steps in a way that we're incapable of doing. Trust Him.