Rouhani: West agrees to lift all sanctions on Iran

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Rouhani: West agrees to lift all sanctions on Iran
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi stressed that some key issues still have not been resolved.
By TZVI JOFFRE, REUTERS
MAY 20, 2021

The countries involved in negotiations in Vienna on renewing the nuclear deal with Iran have agreed to lift all major sanctions on the Islamic Republic, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani announced on Thursday, according to the Iranian Fars News Agency. "All parties to the talks have agreed to lift all major sanctions on oil, petrochemicals, shipping, insurance, the central bank and so on," Rouhani said. "We have taken the main step and discussed the details; the main agreement has been reached. There are issues we are discussing to reach a final agreement."

Despite the claims by Rouhani, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi stressed that some key issues still have not been decided, according to Fars. Araghchi added that the US needed to unilaterally lift sanctions against Iran and return to the UN Security Council. Araghchi stated that the Iranian delegation is currently leaving Vienna, but would return next week and hopes to reach a conclusion. In response to a question on whether Iranian would continue to work with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the deputy foreign minister stated that a decision would be made later by the Iranian government.

more............. https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/rouhani-west-agrees-to-lift-all-sanctions-668638

DanLMP

It galls me that these talks are even taking place.
It's not surprising that Rouhani only mentions the concessions being given to Iran.
What I want to know is what is Iran giving in return, if anything?

I don't trust Western politicians. My expectation is that they would give more than they get.

In either case, just the fact that the West was willing to talk with Iran after pummeling them with sanctions is a win for Iran.