Roooomba

athenasius

Hey all, don't answer this question unless you have time to kill, because I really can't afford one. But, do any you guys/gals own a Roomba? (For those who don't know, it is like a an autonomous vacuum cleaner that ventures out to cleans your floors when you are asleep or awake (you program it) and as far as I can tell it might be between 1 to 1/5 feet wide, although I too tired to look up stats.

Do any of you own one? Do you know someone who does? Does it work. Is it worth the price?
I own one, I know several people who do, and YES YES YES it works and YES YES 1000 x YES it is totally worth the price.

I've had one for 12 years now. The first one died after 8 years of daily service. George did the recommended maintenance and it was one we had to empty the dust cup. THAT CHANGED OUR LIFE.

We IMMEDIATELY bought a second, which died after 2 years. May I point out that our extended warranty covered both models. The second one had been in the shop for repairs twice, their dime, and finally they simply refunded the full purchase price because they didn't make that model anymore. The first one worked fine out of the box till it died of old age.

So we got the one that EMPTIES ITSELF and we replace the bag every 1-2 months. And we paid for the extended warranty without blinking. It's worth it. Sometimes you get a lemon, like the second one.

Ok I will NEVER be without one, Lord Willing. Several reasons.

1: I have asthma and it keeps the dust level down.

2: I have bouts of severe fatigue due to several auto immune problems and honestly there is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in the mix too. So I don't have a ton of energy to push a vacuum around, and while George was willing, he and I both realized neither one of us has the energy to devote to that as often as I need it done to keep the asthma under control.

3: We also have hardwood and tile floors in the entry, bathrooms and living/dining/kitchen space, and till this summer we had carpet in the bedrooms. Now we have vinyl planks in the bedrooms. I have a throw rug in the entry, and a 8x 10 wool carpet in the living room. It keeps everything near spotless.

The first Roomba we still lived in the house, with stairs. It has a sensor so it doesn't fall down the stairs. It goes fine between hard floors and pile carpet. No problems. All the models have that. Our current model is the second one down from the top or was last I looked, and it has the whole mapping the house thing going on. It talks to George by sending cryptic messages to his iphone which he deciphers and says things like, I need to empty that big bag, or I need to help him find his way home. (yes the mapping has a ways to go, he gets lost sometimes on his way home, running out of energy like a 4 year old after a day at the park)

It does SUCH a good job that I only ever do the corners with a swiffer duster. I keep my old vaccuum and rarely use it for things like window screens, horizontal blinds and other things our Roomba can't reach. Otherwise, my Roomba does it ALL. His noise is a bit better than running the big vacuum.

We named him. He seemed like a he. His name is Rommy.

There are other unique benefits. The other members of the family don't leave stuff on the floor for Rommy to try and chew on. The other members of the family put their size 13 shoes away in the hall closet where they belong so Rommy doesn't eat the shoelaces. The other members seem to listen to Rommy when they are completely deaf to my errrrrm "nagging" on the subject.

I don't really care if Rommy is communicating with his overlords at planetary command because I'm outta here before the AC really gets rolling, and after that, he is welcome to peruse Rommy's little brain cells for any info on our whereabouts. Good luck with that AC. He's a smart little robot as far as he goes, but there's room for improvement.

Seriously, our Roomba habit is a good one. Vacuuming has been almost completely delegated to the robot. And he does a great job.

heisable2

Hey all, don't answer this question unless you have time to kill, because I really can't afford one. But, do any you guys/gals own a Roomba? (For those who don't know, it is like a an autonomous vacuum cleaner that ventures out to cleans your floors when you are asleep or awake (you program it) and as far as I can tell it might be between 1 to 1/5 feet wide, although I too tired to look up stats.

Do any of you own one? Do you know someone who does? Does it work. Is it worth the price?
I have one of those gadgets that cleans my floors. I have tile floors throughout and carpeting and a couple of rooms. It does a good job picking up the dirt but I can't figure out why keeps going over the same spot all the time. And I do find myself using my little stick back to go through the house to vacuum up places that were missed. I do have to pick up things off the floor and move them so that it doesn't get hung up on items. Sometimes it'll get wrapped up in chords or on a door track. But overall I really really like it it saves a lot of time. If you have dogs in the house make sure that you check the floors for any dog poop because you do not want to clean up your little machine that had just vacuumed up a bunch of poop. It is a mess.

mattfivefour

For anybody with smart devices, the oldest method of foiling hackers is to use an old computer as a NAT box. Even an old slow computer ready to be binned can be set up as a Network Access Translator. That way you can run all your home devices on a virtual IP address that is remote from your actual internet provider IP address. Hackers may be able to hack your fridge, stove, vac, etc, but they will be unable to access your main computer because it will be on a completely different network address.

athenasius

For anybody with smart devices, the oldest method of foiling hackers is to use an old computer as a NAT box. Even an old slow computer ready to be binned can be set up as a Network Access Translator. That way you can run all your home devices on a virtual IP address that is remote from your actual internet provider IP address. Hackers may be able to hack your fridge, stove, vac, etc, but they will be unable to access your main computer because it will be on a completely different network address.
That's a great idea, I've passed it on up to he who does computer stuff and thank you.

All jokes aside about the planetary overlords and their nefarious schemes to entice us all into accepting these nice little devices into our homes (Alexa, Roombas, smart thermostats)

it's good to know how to prevent thieves from breaking into the systems via the back door so to speak.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
keep my old vaccuum and rarely use it for things like window screens, horizontal blinds and other things our Roomba can't reach. Otherwise, my Roomba does it ALL. His noise is a bit better than running the big vacuum.
Hey. I use my old canister vacuum (Hoover Mighty Mite) to clean my Roomba! And my baseboards only every so often, because they actually stay clean longer because of my Roomba.

There is something people need to understand. You guys. It vacuums UNDER THE FURNITURE. EVERY TIME. YOU DONT HAVE TO STOOP OVER WITH A VACUUM, EVER AGAIN. EVER.

Pay. The. Money!!!!

The day my beloved Mr. Harry Wheeler dies, after I am done crying, I will run out and buy a brand new one.

Lastcall

We used one for a few years, worked well. When then bought a second one thats stronger and really good for picking up dog hair. However, shortly after buying the second one, we quit using them. I think the two of them formed a union, and my wife would not accept their demands, so they are on strike.

Lastcall

Hey. I use my old canister vacuum (Hoover Mighty Mite) to clean my Roomba! And my baseboards only every so often, because they actually stay clean longer because of my Roomba.

There is something people need to understand. You guys. It vacuums UNDER THE FURNITURE. EVERY TIME. YOU DONT HAVE TO STOOP OVER WITH A VACUUM, EVER AGAIN. EVER.

Pay. The. Money!!!!

The day my beloved Mr. Harry Wheeler dies, after I am done crying, I will run out and buy a brand new one.
Interesting name. We named our first one Hazel.

Lastcall

My Mom,s border collie used to attack the vacuum, you couldn't get a thing done.
I have seen videos of the aftermath of Roomba and dog poop. Catastrophic. Will never run mine unless I am home!
Several years ago we had a little Maltese dog who in his later years was mean, and vengeful. Sometimes if he did not get his way, later on he would leave a present behind. One morning, while coming out of the bedroom at 4am, it was dark, and as I walked down the hall to use the guest bathroom as to not wake up my wife, I stepped in his “present”. The bathroom was only about 5 feet away, so I hopped on one foot, and yep, hopped right on another “present”. I swear I heard him snickering in the shadows.

Deano

I bought my wife a iRobot Braava jet, because our whole downstairs is hardwood floors. Not connected to the net, in any way, that I know of. Gotta say, she loves it. Our dog, an 11 pound Maltipoo, well, she hates it. Lol

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
We used one for a few years, worked well. When then bought a second one thats stronger and really good for picking up dog hair. However, shortly after buying the second one, we quit using them. I think the two of them formed a union, and my wife would not accept their demands, so they are on strike.

May be signal interference. Sometimes repositioning one or both controllers will fix. Otherwise contact manufacturer for assistance. Obviously more than one of these units can work in the same house, so they can probably give you effective union busting techniques*

*I don't normally advocate union busting, but machines aren't people :tappingfoot

Oddly, our dog has no problems with the roomba, but has to be put outside when the vacuum is being used because he tries to bite it.

Difference in motor frequency and/or decibels.

Channah

I want to add that my Roomba has not mapped out my house since I'll leave it to clean in one room and I move it around lot, by picking it up, to the main room, the hallway, then kitchen, so there's no rhythm to where it goes. I think that's why it has a problem going to its base. Lol, if it's mapping and storing it to cloud, cloud would be disoriented.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I want to add that my Roomba has not mapped out my house since I'll leave it to clean in one room and I move it around lot, by picking it up, to the main room, the hallway, then kitchen, so there's no rhythm to where it goes. I think that's why it has a problem going to its base. Lol, if it's mapping and storing it to cloud, cloud would be disoriented.

Random cloud? Random Access Memory?

:twister :lol