Roof of Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral collapses, engulfed by fire

Discussion in 'Breaking News & World Events' started by Kaatje, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Kaatje

Kaatje Well-Known Member

Notre-Dame Cathedral went up in flames on Monday in a roaring blaze that devastated the Parisian landmark, a searing loss for the city and for France.

Flames that began in the early evening burst through the roof of the centuries-old cathedral and engulfed the spire, which collapsed, quickly followed by the entire roof.

A huge plume of smoke wafted across the city and ash fell over a large area.

"Like all our compatriots, I am sad this evening to see this part of all of us burn," President Emmanuel Macron tweeted.

“Basically the whole rooftop is gone. I see no hope for the building," said witness Jacek Poltorak, watching the fire from a fifth-floor balcony two blocks from the southern facade of the cathedral, one of France's most visited places.

Firefighters cleared the area around Notre-Dame, which sits on an island in the River Seine and marks the very center of Paris. Buildings around were evacuated.

"Everything is collapsing," a police officer near the scene said as the entire roof of the cathedral continued to burn.

Macron canceled an address to the nation that he had been due to give later on Monday evening. A presidential official said Macron was to go to the scene of the blaze.

France 2 television reported that police were treating the incident as an accident.

The cathedral, which dates back to the 12th century, features in Victor Hugo's classic novel "The Hunchback of Notre-Dame." It attracts millions of tourists every year.

Notre-Dame was in the midst of renovations, with some sections under scaffolding and bronze statues were removed last week for works.

The wood and lead spire was built during a restoration in the mid-19th century, according to the cathedral's website.

https://m.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Paris-Notre-Dame-Cathedral-on-fire-firefighters-586922

Círeth, Hidden, pixelpusher and 7 others like this.
  2. Accepted

Accepted Well-Known Member

What a tragic sight, and during the week between Palm Sunday and Resurrection Sunday! It’s impossible to not speculate about the cause. Could be simply an accident. I hope it’s not terrorism.

Círeth, Hidden, pixelpusher and 14 others like this.
  3. Stevelw

Stevelw Well-Known Member

Kinda symbolic of how all of human history in this fallen world is coming to an end.

"For our God is a consuming fire." Heb 12:29

Círeth, RobinB, Nemophilist and 23 others like this.
  4. Joseph The Carpenter

Joseph The Carpenter Well-Known Member

Would they tell us if it was terrorism ?
    If it was a construction accident they had a very poor plan. When ever I used a torch I always had a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher on hand. When I worked on commercial projects we would have a person overnight on fire watch.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Círeth, RobinB, Hidden and 16 others like this.
  5. Cindy S.

Cindy S. Well-Known Member

Looks like they got the "statues" out.
    :rolleyes

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Círeth, Hidden, pixelpusher and 6 others like this.
  6. vbf

vbf Well-Known Member

I hope the hunchback made it out safely

Círeth, RobinB, Hidden and 16 others like this.
  7. Everlasting Life

Everlasting Life Through Faith in Jesus

Oh my goodness....that cracked me up! :lol

I do hope all is well with the people there.

Círeth, Hidden, pixelpusher and 6 others like this.
  8. athenasius

athenasius Well-Known Member

I wondered if it was someone named Mohammed at work, but then George pointed out there easily could be many Muslim workers on the renovation crew, and it only takes one.

So it may be accidental. After all things happen when work crews are busy.

But it's an ideal way for any random terrorist to sabotage France, plus attack France's Christian heritage and not get blamed for the terrorism. The worker involved will still get paid, and still continue to build his pension fund.

The timing nearing Easter is suspicious, and France is very prone to attacks by their Islamic hordes that they invited in.

I was following a news story about the disappearance of women in public in some of the more Islamic infested suburbs a few weeks back on France's TV news channel in English, and the comments below the story had a number of frantic French denials that the Islamic culture was a threat to French culture. When the point of the article was saying yes, it was. A few French were agreeing, the rest were either too scared to agree or felt they had to be seen supporting Islam in some way.

Since the Charlie Hebdo attacks, most public utterances by the French have been looking like they are scared to DEATH of irritating their muslim invaders. For good reason. Nobody wants to end up dead. And since the French Government is complicit in allowing this to happen, heaven help those who complain about it.

Now Notre Dame. I doubt they'll go further than a workplace accident that tragically destroyed a key piece of French history and traditions

Círeth, Hidden, Luke12 and 13 others like this.
  9. Jonathan

Jonathan Well-Known Member

If this turns out to be a terrorist attack, it isn't too far from a 9/11 for France without the massive loss of human life. I'm neither French nor Catholic, but I have been to Notre-Dame and it is a beautiful piece of western culture, architecture, and even soul of Europe. It can not be replaced. They can rebuilt it, but it won't be the historic sight it was.

I would go so far to say it isn't just a European gem, but a gem of the world.

This is really tragic. If this turns out to be the work of Islamic terrorism, and France doesn't wake up, then only God can help them.

If on the other hand, it was negligence, then someone should pay in spades.

10. duckdogger

duckdogger Well-Known Member

Sarcasm Alert

Maybe the spirit of Mary reached her limit of tolerance for the RCC portraying her as the Mother of God, Queen of Heaven, and mediator. And don't get her started on the whole rosary thing.

11. Channah

Channah Well-Known Member

I’m sorry this happened. I was thinking yesterday how many Americans were killed for France. Over 58K in Vietnam alone plus the countless in WW2. I know that if it’s caused by someone of their own ‘guests’ they will just import more of them. France is no longer France.

The timing is quite something too as it is really a Holy Week for Christians. I guess it does not good to speculate and they won’t reveal it honestly anyway.

Círeth, athenasius, Hidden and 4 others like this.
  12. Rose E.

Rose E. Well-Known Member

I also visited Notre-Dame the 70s and 80s. Pictures just don't do justice to the structure.
    But I do question a building that can survive nearly 700 years of candle power can succumb to flames so easily with an increase in a Christian hating population that has a proven disrespect for western culture.

Definitely a shame to lose such history.

13. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

My first thought: "Father, are you trying to tell us something?"

14. maranatha14

maranatha14 Member

As a piece of architecture, I think it is a terrible loss. It is just a building, but a beautiful one.

Then I saw on the news a group of people in line to kiss the "crown of thorns", held by a priest. They claim it is the ACTUAL crown, and bow to it as they would a type of god. (It was saved from the fire.) It makes me sad when all these Catholic believers once again put their faith in a THING like a shroud, a crown, a "cup", or a building. The news reporter stated it was sad the church has fallen because it is where "saints are made".

I can't help but wonder... do these people ever read the Bible, and then actually HEAR what is being said? Do they not realize that our Lord died on a cross and faith in HIM is all we need? A saint is made when someone puts their faith in Jesus. Buildings and artifacts are THINGS, and will never last. Only Faith in our Lord Jesus and His Father is lasting.

I understand the architectural and historical loss. But the temple that awaits us in heaven (and here on earth) is what I am looking forward to!

15. Patiently...

Patiently... Well-Known Member

I had the privilege of seeing it in 1974. It was a beautiful building.

Círeth, athenasius, Hidden and 6 others like this.
  16. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

And that may be what He is telling us.

17. Mish

Mish Well-Known Member

Tucker Carlson speaking with Styne (?)

Discussion quickly turned to Islam in France right now..

Círeth, athenasius, Hidden and 4 others like this.
  18. Everlasting Life

Everlasting Life Through Faith in Jesus

Why Couldn’t Firefighters Douse The Flames Of Notre Dame Cathedral?

https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/15/firefighters-notre-dame-cathedral/

• A Gothic engineering technique used to waterproof the top of Notre Dame cathedral likely made the structure impervious to firefighters’ efforts to douse the flames.
    • The fire destroyed the cathedral’s roof, spire and stained glass windows, and might have also destroyed other priceless Christian relics.
    • The collapse of the cathedral’s vault also endangers the structural integrity of the cathedral’s walls, as it can no longer counter the weight of the flying buttresses.
    Firefighters stood helpless to stem the blaze in Notre Dame cathedral Monday likely because of Gothic engineering techniques that waterproofed the roof, consigning it to destruction.

The roof and spire of Notre Dame were all but doomed to burn once flames began to spread, possibly begun by a renovation accident, because of a Gothic engineering technique used to waterproof the top of the cathedral by placing a lead sheet roof over a wooden truss structure on top of the groin vault that served as the ceiling of the cathedral’s nave, according to Ted Henderson, who studied archaeology at Dartmouth College.

The wooden truss became highly flammable as it dried over hundreds of years, but was sealed from the outside by the lead sheets, and therefore impervious to firefighters’ efforts to douse the flames with water.

“So the wood catches on fire, and it’s not actually exposed to the outside of the building anywhere,” Henderson told The Daily Caller News Foundation. “In fact, the reason the roof is covered with lead is so water can’t get inside. It’s specifically fireproofed. So when the firemen, you know, arrive on the scene and they’re spraying cathedral with water, it’s running off the sides of the lead roof and can’t access this void where the fire is actually spreading.”

As the fire grows hotter, the lead super-heats and melts, falling down onto the stone vault of the nave, which overloads the vault and causes it to collapse inward, creating an imbalance of weight throughout the entire structure and possibly leading to a total collapse, Henderson said. A number of Gothic cathedrals have suffered near total collapses due to fire throughout history, including The Papal Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls, which burnt in 1823 because a workman repairing the lead roof accidentally began a fire.

The walls, however, do stand a chance of remaining upright.

“The best case scenario at this point is you’re going to get a shell, an exterior shell over the building. Maybe with the bell towers still standing,” Henderson told TheDCNF.....

Círeth, RobinB, athenasius and 8 others like this.
  19. DMac

DMac Well-Known Member

Very interesting.

Círeth, athenasius, Hidden and 3 others like this.
  20. madcat

madcat Well-Known Member

That was my first thought, too. Like the lightning striking the Vatican when this wanna-be FP was “installed?