Romans

I posted a prayer request for this Bible study I’ll be hosting via zoom with my girlfriends- I’m super nervous lol.

I was hoping to have some background info as the intro to the study, so was wondering if anyone has any cool tidbits or takeaways from Romans? Or even the cultural part of the book?

I have that Paul wrote the book around 58ad while in Corinth, which was similar to our “sin city” in Vegas. The moral decay in that area was excessive.

I can gather info about Corinth, but not so much about where Paul was writing to? Was it to the Roman church set in Rome? I read Corinth was part of the Roman Empire, so that kind of confused me about the difference on churches.

also, would the city of Rome be like Corinth in the moral decay aspect? Were the believers greatly persecuted?

im always fascinated by background stories, or stories where God prevails when the atmosphere is so against Him...I just don’t want to be willing that to be the background story of Romans, so any tidbits would be greatly appreciated!

Lovin Jesus

I posted a prayer request for this Bible study I’ll be hosting via zoom with my girlfriends- I’m super nervous lol.

I was hoping to have some background info as the intro to the study, so was wondering if anyone has any cool tidbits or takeaways from Romans? Or even the cultural part of the book?

I have that Paul wrote the book around 58ad while in Corinth, which was similar to our “sin city” in Vegas. The moral decay in that area was excessive.

I can gather info about Corinth, but not so much about where Paul was writing to? Was it to the Roman church set in Rome? I read Corinth was part of the Roman Empire, so that kind of confused me about the difference on churches.

also, would the city of Rome be like Corinth in the moral decay aspect? Were the believers greatly persecuted?

im always fascinated by background stories, or stories where God prevails when the atmosphere is so against Him...I just don’t want to be willing that to be the background story of Romans, so any tidbits would be greatly appreciated!
Oh my! Romans is my fav of all of Paul’s writings.
Here’s my favorite verses

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[k] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:38-39

The Book of Romans is primarily a work of doctrine and can be divided into four sections: righteousness needed, 1:18–3:20; righteousness provided, 3:21–8:39; righteousness vindicated, 9:1–11:36; righteousness practiced, 12:1–15:13. The main theme of this letter is obvious of course—righteousness. Guided by the Holy Spirit, Paul first condemns all men of their sinfulness. He expresses his desire to preach the truth of God’s Word to those in Rome. It was his hope to have assurance they were staying on the right path. He strongly points out that he is not ashamed of the gospel (Romans 1:16), because it is the power by which everyone is saved.

The Book of Romans tells us about God, who He is and what He has done. It tells us of Jesus Christ, what His death accomplished. It tells us about ourselves, what we were like without Christ and who we are after trusting in Christ. Paul points out that God did not demand men have their lives straightened out before coming to Christ. While we were still sinners Christ died on a cross for our sins.

The Book of Romans makes it clear that there is nothing we can do to save ourselves. Every “good” deed we have ever done is as a filthy rag before God. So dead in our trespasses and sins are we that only the grace and mercy of God can save us. God expressed that grace and mercy by sending His Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross in our place. When we turn our lives over to Christ, we are no longer controlled by our sin nature, but we are controlled by the Spirit. If we make confession that Jesus is Lord, and believe that He is raised from the dead, we are saved, born again. We need to live our lives offered to God as a living sacrifice to Him. Worship of the God who saved us should be our highest desire. Perhaps the best application of Romans would be to apply Romans 1:16 and not be

https://www.gotquestions.org/Book-of-Romans.html

Thank you so much! I’ve gone ahead and did a couple lessons, and then fine-tuned them...wow! The Holy Spirit is speaking so much to me already through this and I’m only up to Romans 4. I’m actually in a season of refining I believe as the convictions are so clear. I was even convicted of making this book about Paul instead of the message!

I am SO EXCITED to start on Tuesday evening, my friends are ready to go :) I’m super nervous, but He has a plan for sure! Thank you so much for your input!!

mattfivefour

Sorry, I did not see this thread in time to offer some advice, sister. Romans is one of my favorite books of the Bible. (Of course, I can say that about all of the books! :lol ) But Romans is special. Everything before the book of Romans strains forward towards it; everything after it reaches back to it. It's the bridge that takes us from the Old Testament economy of God to the New Testament economy of God. It takes the things of the Old Testament and shines the light of the finished work of Christ on them so that we may see the faithfulness and the character of God revealed clearly, whereas before it was shrouded in mystery and type. It reveals how to live successfully as redeemed souls in fallen bodies. I personally do not believe a person can truly live the Christian life and experience its total victory, its abiding comfort and its surpassing peace (despite ALL outward circumstances) without properly understanding the teaching of the Book of Romans.

Lovin Jesus

Thank you so much! I’ve gone ahead and did a couple lessons, and then fine-tuned them...wow! The Holy Spirit is speaking so much to me already through this and I’m only up to Romans 4. I’m actually in a season of refining I believe as the convictions are so clear. I was even convicted of making this book about Paul instead of the message!

I am SO EXCITED to start on Tuesday evening, my friends are ready to go :) I’m super nervous, but He has a plan for sure! Thank you so much for your input!!
Oh yes dear one, you know when the HS is speaking to you

The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.
Romans 8:16

Absorb it all sister. Absorb every bit of nourishment the Holy Spirit gives you because by doing so you will hunger for more and he will feed you more and you will be feeling like you are born again, again, lol. Wanting to tell everyone everything you learn by means of the Holy Spirit revealing to you everything you desire to know from Gods word. I know, it has happened to me and it’s awesome!
Gods word is our daily food we need to sustain us spiritually.

Give us this day our daily bread.
Matthew 6:11

Feast sister!

Last edited:
Back