Rockets barrage from Gaza continues, hitting Ashdod and Beersheba

Batman

What a coward
I don't see this as a cowardly act. There has been so much destruction of strategic targets and an absolute hammer being used to make Hamas regret the start up of this. The pressure of the world has already been laid on Israel to find enough of an agreement on terms to accept a ceasefire. I feel like Israel gets no break or no understanding or no benefit of the doubt in any manner to convince a huge majority of global haters that they really didn't do anything wrong and even went above and beyond to provide early warnings of bombing sites.

OnlyHim

I still believe the bigger concern is Lebanon and Syria and maybe Yemen. If they remain quiet then this is just another awkward family reunion between Israel and that weird uncle Hamas...

Batman

I agree with OnlyHim. For sure they have stated repeatedly even before this Hamas terrorism went crazy a few weeks ago that just Lebanon (Hezbollah) has a real capability of guiding missiles onto their intended targets and the reach is significant too; including the nuclear power plant. Not good at all.

athenasius

What a coward
no, just making the best of a bad situation.
Would someone mind explaining to me what exactly this means? What are the consequences of doing or not doing this?
By declaring a unilateral (one sided) cease fire on their own, Israel is leaving the door wide open to dealing with any future problems from the Gaza etc.

This means that they are gracefully avoiding having pressure on them to agree to ANY conditions. We all know that Hamas etc won't abide by any agreement, only Israel is forced to.

In this case Israel is actually creating a problem for Hamas and the PIJ groups because they aren't agreeing to anything. They are confusing their enemy by declaring peace (there's a great Star Trek Deep Space 9 quote that Footsteps is already thinking of in there)

on their own terms

Which means they can reopen rocket fire at any point they think necessary.

And it avoids the problem of ground warfare with their people potentially kidnapped or killed.

athenasius

Are we witnessing Psalms 83?
No, for that full on Psalm 83 scenario as Bill Salus outlines it, you need more than just the Gaza with a little of the West Bank.

You would need all the players that attacked in the war of Independence in 1948 and again in 1967. That would include Edom (modern day Palestinians-- see Obadiah in Gaza, West Bank and Jordan) the Ishmaelites (modern day Saudi Arabia) Moab (part of Jordan today) and the Hagirites (some see this as Egypt, while others point out a specific Arab tribe again, Arabia or Egypt today.
Several areas in Syria as well as Lebanon are mentioned in that Psalm.

So you'd need to see a group of nations that include
Syria,
Lebanon
Jordan
Saudi Arabia

Egypt possibly
and maybe areas of Iraq.

This would include the Gaza and so called West Bank (Judea and Samaria).

In this current round of hostilities, it's mostly coming from the Gaza and riots in the West Bank areas with some extra fire coming in sporadically from Lebanon, but not tied to Hezbollah, just the Palestinians within Lebanon.

compare responses with the Ps 83 nations
Lebanon has not officially opened fire on Israel
Jordan is annoyed but not firing
Egypt is busy trying to tell the Gaza to settle back down or they won't give them any fuel oil or gas.
Arabia is annoyed with the whole Palestinian mess, and is making critical noises at Israel that are aimed at quieting their own population down.
Iraq is ignoring it all.
Syria is angry at Israel for bombing the Iranian outposts on their soil but they don't dare do anything.

The inner ring of nations that Bill Salus mentions in his Ps 83 book are mostly quiet except for Gaza.

The outer ring of nations that Bill talks about in the Ezek 38 war are all quiet except for Iran which is a sponsor of the terrorist groups inside the Gaza.

What this current action is, from a prophetic standpoint is probably just more stage setting for the future and just part of the ups and downs of the Middle East.

athenasius

The calming back down of hostilities if that happens as a result of Israel declaring a unilateral (one sided) cease fire is probably the action of the Holy Spirit acting as Restrainer again.

I've watched things in economics and that peace plan behave against the normal rules and so is this situation.

If this wasn't being restrained, I think Israel WOULD continue till the threat was extinguished.

But just as I've seen with Israel being restrained by some unseen hand that I think is God at work, with bombing the Iranian nukes back into the Stone Age, I think God is holding things back yet a while.

Footsteps

Deep Space Nine? I struggle to understand Plan Nine From Outer Space.

"Nothing makes them happy! They are dedicated to being unhappy, and to spreading that unhappiness to others! They are the Ambassadors of Unhappy!"

I thought this might pertain to Palis,
but now I think it pertains to Democrats. On November 3 they made half this nation unhappy. As each day passes, their own unhappiness returns, but they are always able to make an angry response assuring us of their inner peace. Surely it must be the peace of God, for it passeth all understanding.

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
no, just making the best of a bad situation.

By declaring a unilateral (one sided) cease fire on their own, Israel is leaving the door wide open to dealing with any future problems from the Gaza etc.

This means that they are gracefully avoiding having pressure on them to agree to ANY conditions. We all know that Hamas etc won't abide by any agreement, only Israel is forced to.

In this case Israel is actually creating a problem for Hamas and the PIJ groups because they aren't agreeing to anything. They are confusing their enemy by declaring peace (there's a great Star Trek Deep Space 9 quote that Footsteps is already thinking of in there)

on their own terms

Which means they can reopen rocket fire at any point they think necessary.

And it avoids the problem of ground warfare with their people potentially kidnapped or killed.
I know there is a famous quote about weapons and the WILL to use them, but I can't find it.
A small county that used what they had, would be respected like USA I'd.
When USA loses the will to fight we will be in the same situation.

athenasius

Deep Space Nine? I struggle to understand Plan Nine From Outer Space.

"Nothing makes them happy! They are dedicated to being unhappy, and to spreading that unhappiness to others! They are the Ambassadors of Unhappy!"

I thought this might pertain to Palis,
but now I think it pertains to Democrats. On November 3 they made half this nation unhappy. As each day passes, their own unhappiness returns, but they are always able to make an angry response assuring us of their inner peace. Surely it must be the peace of God, for it passeth all understanding.
I loved the episode with the Ambassadors of Unhappy! I remember that one.

My reference was out of one of the Ferengi Rules of Aquisition -- can't remember the numbers but it went like this along with related rules regarding war and peace.

War is good for business

Peace is good for business

Everyonce in a while declare a cease fire, it confuses the H out of your enemies.