Ripping old LPs to WAV format

Psalm37v4

Hi everyone,

Have any of you invested in equipment to convert your old LPs to WAV or a similar format? I have a couple albums only on vinyl that i want to transfer. But I don't want mp3, as it's not the greatest. I prefer WAV or FLAC. I was wondering of good inexpensive equipment to use to transfer the albums myself. Thanx! :)

GEOINTAnalyst

If you already have a stereo with a turntable and it has a headphone jack you are 3/4 the way there - just need to go from the headphone jack on the streo to the mini stereo jack on your computer usually light blue in color - then use a recording software like Audacity (Free by the way) to record your LP.

The next option is an USB Turntable you plug into your computer which Amazon has several anywhere from about $50 to $250. depending on how much you want to spend

You say MP3 is not the greatest I would respectfully disagree with that
Here is how you calculate the constant bitrate (CBR) of uncompressed audio:

Bits Per Second (bps) = Sample Rate (Hz) * Word Length (bits) * Channel Count

Which for 44.1 KHz, 16 bit, 2 Ch. (stereo) audio gives you: which most household stereo's are

44100 * 16 * 2 = 1411200 bps or 1411.2 kbps (kilobits per second, i.e. bps / 1000)

To express that in bytes, kilobytes or megabytes use the following conversions:

Bits to bytes: bits / 8 or bits * 0.125
Bits to kilobytes: (bits / 8) / 1000 or bits * 0.000125
Bits to megabytes: (bits / 8) / 1000000 or bits * 0.000000125

Which for 44.1 KHz, 16 bit, 2 Ch. (stereo) audio gives you:

1411200 * 0.125 = 1764000 Bps (bytes per second)
1411200 * 0.000125 = 176.4 KBps (kilobytes per second)
1411200 * 0.000000125 = 0.1764 MBps (megabytes per second)

Your ear cannot detect any differences between 320Mbs MP3 and WAV or FLAC the secret to high quality MP3 is in the settings 41000Hz to 48000Hz for a sample rate and a 16Bit or 32Bit float sample format - 16Bit 41000Hz is considered CD music quality

Psalm37v4

Well part of my reason for wanting FLAC is because I use the files sometimes to make accompaniment tracks with vocal removal software. I find MP3s don’t produce good quality results, but FLAC and wavs do.

My mom has a turntable with a laser needle. It’s about 12 years old. I’ll have to see if it has a headphone jack. If I don’t have to spend money on another turntable I would rather not.

Do the USB turntables allow you to convert files in formats other than MP3?

GEOINTAnalyst

Well part of my reason for wanting FLAC is because I use the files sometimes to make accompaniment tracks with vocal removal software. I find MP3s don’t produce good quality results, but FLAC and wavs do.

My mom has a turntable with a laser needle. It’s about 12 years old. I’ll have to see if it has a headphone jack. If I don’t have to spend money on another turntable I would rather not.

Do the USB turntables allow you to convert files in formats other than MP3?
Yes they can depends on how big your wallet is - they have them on Amazon