Revelation judgments - all at once or over several years?

We know that God's judgments aren't always all at once - David's family troubles after he sinned with Bathsheeba, for instnace - though usually we think of Sodom and Gomorrah or the 10 Plagues that hit Egypt when we think of God's judgments.

So, I was planting some seeds in a discussion about climate change by noting that people would be burned with fervent heat, plants and grass dying, and so on were all in the Book of Revelation. It's gotten people to at least think in the past. (And might have been one of those little thigs that helped my best friend et saved, though my faith when I broke my leg and his now wife's daily walk were the keys.

But that got me thinking - I'd usually thought of the judgments as all happening right away, like the Egyptian plagues But I'm wondering, could the grass beign burned up and the 1/3 of green trees being burned up happen over a span of years? We know the 4th horseman/4th seal judgment will be over a period of time during REvelation, as I doubt 1/3 of the population will die even in a month's time.

While people are going to blame climate change if the fire and hail from earth are due to drought/ehat from the sun and very intense storms. But, I'm sure they'd blame it for the 3rd plague, too, with the famines and prices being insane.

In fact, could that be part of the strong delusion - God allowing mankind to think we control everything, instead of God being in control?

Andy C

We only know that 14 judgements happen in the first half of the 7 year tribulation, and seven more in the second half.

The Word states for a few judgements what percent of the population will be killed, and it could happen very quickly. The One who can rapture hundreds of millions in a nano second, could also do the same for deaths during His judgements.

Climate change, or whatever one wants to call whats happening today, IMO has nothing to do with the coming judgements. Weather patterns are not related to the judgements.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
While people are going to blame climate change if the fire and hail from earth are due to drought/ehat from the sun and very intense storms. But, I'm sure they'd blame it for the 3rd plague, too, with the famines and prices being insane.

It seems that at some point during the Tribulation people will definitely know that this is not climate change but rather God gradually turning up the heat, literally and so to speak to show the seriousness of where unsaved souls are at. Here's what Revelation 16:9-11 says about the people on earth refused to do, even though an angel proclaimed the Gospel previously and most likely the 144000 and two witnesses:

The fifth angel poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and its kingdom was plunged into darkness. People gnawed their tongues in agony and cursed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, but they refused to repent of what they had done.

Revelation 16:9-11

Here the people knew this was because of God and instead of repenting and seeking God's mercy and compassionate grace in Jesus Christ through faith, they cursed God.

Jared

I tend to think the Bowl Judgements will happen in rapid succession towards the end of the 70th Week, as they affect the water supply of the whole earth and so on. The first 14 are likely more spread out, though I'm not sure what the timing for them might be.

RonJohnSilver

Are there 21 Judgements? Maybe it'll be three a year?
Technically, yes, 21 but the 7th trumpet judgment is the opening of the next series of 7 so it's not an actual 'judgment' as in disasters, etc. Same with the 7th seal judgment. The 7th seal opens/allows/announces the bowl series of judgments. Some count it as 19. Calling it 21 is ok with me, though.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I was listening to Andy Woods recently about judgments in Revelation and he had a great word picture to help understand the order of judgements.

He compares the judgements to a telescope that unfolds out with the end of each section or series of judgements (the 7th) unfolding into the next section or series of judgements.

Each sucessive judment and series is God gradually turning the heat up so to speak in response to sin of unrepentant people, to show them that aren't dealing with climate change or other things, but directly with God and in specific consequences to sin (for instance waters turned into blood in response to the shedding of blood of the tribulation saints Rev 16:4, notice that God is attributed as being righteous in His judgement for they poured out the blood of saints and prophets, and You have given them blood to drink. They deserve it.” vs 6 - Andy summerizes something like, 'God says you like blood? Then I'll give you blood'...reminds me of parents catching kids with cigarettes and making them smoke a whole pack.....and this is a long parentheses isn't it :lol).

Additionally he observes that after each series at the 6th parts are pauses in Revelation that as I understand him to say is summarizing and assessing where things are at during those points of time.

I thought this might be helpful. :)

Back