Revelation 13:16 and Matthew 5:29-30 Convoluted Question

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I decided not to post this in the below-reference thread because it would have :threadjack

Sooooo....

. . . multiple other posts referencing movies about chaos after the rapture . . . Post-Rapture Rage thread https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/post-rapture-rage.161878/page-2#post-843077678

Perhaps it's a late 90's movie called "The Moment After"..........if so, they made a sequel.

Perhaps it's a late 90's movie called "The Moment After"..........if so, they made a sequel.

The sequel was a bit odd. It implied you could have the Mark removed and then be saved. And I have no clue what the ending was really trying to say.

I always thought there was/could/might be an escape hatch, just like God has always provided,. Of course it always boils down to Jesus and either faith in Him (salvation) or rejection (damnation). I certainly have no intention of taking the mark or worshipping anyone/anything other than God (the God of the Christian Bible).

AFAIK, taking the mark of the beast isn't the unpardonable sin, nor is worshipping a false god (so long as one comes to Jesus before death). So what happens if someone takes the mark, worships the beast, but then comes to saving faith in Jesus Christ before dying? To me this is no different than any of us being unsaved and then getting saved before we die.

Here's my reasoning (which could certainly be faulty/unBiblical):

29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Matthew 5:29-30, KJV

Retinal scans (eye) and fingerprints, which can and are scanned today, are used for positive identification of individuals.

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
Revelation 13:16-17

So, I was curious to see if the word for forehead in this verse could also mean/be translated eye.

A search for forehead in a pdf copy of "Dictionaries of Hebrew and Greek Words taken from Strong's Exhaustive Concordance" produced two entries (3359 and 3790):

3359 metopon {met'-o-pon} from 3326 and ops (the face); the forehead (as opposite
the countenance):--forehead. See Greek-- 3326

3790 ophrus {of-roos'} perhaps from 3700 (through the idea of the shading or
proximity to the organ of vision); the eye-"brow" or forehead, i.e. (figuratively) the brink
of a precipice:--brow. See Greek-- 3700

(referred from 3359) 3326 meta {met-ah'} a primary preposition (often used adverbially); properly, denoting
accompaniment; "amid" (local or causal); modified variously according to the case
(genitive association, or accusative succession) with which it is joined; occupying an
intermediate position between 575 or 1537 and 1519 or 4314; less intimate than 1722
and less close than 4862):--after(-ward), X that he again, against, among, X and, +
follow, hence, hereafter, in, of, (up-)on, + our, X and setting, since, (un-)to, + together,
when, with (+ -out). Often used in composition, in substantially the same relations of
participation or proximity, and transfer or sequence. See Greek-- 4314 See Greek-- 575
See Greek-- 1537 See Greek-- 1519 See Greek-- 1722 See Greek-- 4862

(referred from 3790) 3700 optanomai op-tan'-om-ahee, a (middle voice) prolonged {form}
of the primary (middle voice optomai op'-tom-ahee; which is used for it in certain
tenses; and both as alternate of 3708
to gaze (i.e. with wide-open eyes, as at something remarkable; and thus differing from
991, which denotes simply voluntary observation; and from 1492, which expresses
merely mechanical, passive or casual vision; while 2300, and still more emphatically its
intensive 2334, signifies an earnest but more continued inspection; and 4648 a
watching from a distance):--appear, look, See, shew self. See Greek-- 3708 See Greek-
- 991 See Greek-- 1492 See Greek-- 2300 See Greek-- 2334 See Greek-- 4648

I don't read Greek or Aramaic, so I consulted an Interlinear Bible to determine which word was used in Revelation 13:16 https://biblehub.com/interlinear/revelation/13-16.htm

3359 [e]
metōpon
μέτωπον
forehead
N-ANS

The Strong's reference (3359, above) doesn't mention anything about eye(s).

According to the HELPS Word Studies on BibleHub,

HELPS word-Studies
3359 métōpon – properly, "after the eye," referring to the forehead.
https://bibleapps.com/greek/3359.htm

According to Hebrew Root Word/Aramaic/Greek/English Expanded Exhaustive Definitions:

H5869- עין AiYN/A1794- aina/G3359- μετωπων metopon: eye, fountain, focal point, attention, sight, face, presence, countenance, favor, approval, resemblance, recognition, well, surface, appearance, spring, seeing, understanding, connection, desire, longing, devotion, commitment, dedication, making an evaluation, judgement, proof of faithfulness, loyalty, mental and spiritual abilities, acts and states, moral faculty, guide, in one’s view or opinion, in the sight of, Face To face, Source, Life, gushing, pouring out forth, flow, rain, water, source and supply, origin, spring, fountain, well, to feed and nourish, keep alive in full flame, indwelling Spirit of God, life, blessing, set up, fasten, secure, fix, permanent, confirm, verified, favor, love, care, tend
https://ydhyhwh.wordpress.com/category/revelation-1316/

Thus far, supporting textual evidence is weak.

9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
Revelation 14:9-11

In this passage, the conjunction used is AND, not or, so perhaps one has to worship the beast AND his image AND receive the mark to be be damned forever, so back to Matthew 5:29-30, perhaps the mark could be cut off (hand)/plucked out (eye)/cut off (beheading) if the person somehow got the mark without worshipping the beast . . .

4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
Revelation 20:4, KJV

if someone is going to hell and there is the slightest possibility that being sorry for and repenting of the sins of getting the mark of the beast and worshipping him, and turning to Jesus Christ for Salvation, and out of fear of The Lord/Sanctification/obedience to The Word discards the sinful thing (the mark of the beast) by cutting off the hand or plucking out the eye/cutting off the head, it would seem that there are still serious consequences, like not ruling with Christ in the Millennium, but perhaps not eternity in hell?

There is also precedence of Biblical forebearance at the end of a dispensation. Noah entered the ark a weak of days before the flood started. The tribulation is a week of years. I wonder if someone repented and came to saving faith in The Lord before the flood happened, if God would have put him/her/them on the ark so they would not perish (we know no one did). So, I wonder, since there is a great harvest during the tribulation if people like this would be part of that harvest?

1 And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.
4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.
5 And Noah did according unto all that the Lord commanded him.
6 And Noah was six hundred years old when the flood of waters was upon the earth.
7 And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons' wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood.
8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,
9 There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah.
10 And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth.
11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened
12 And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.
13 In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark;
14 They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.
15 And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.
16 And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the Lord shut him in.
Genesis 7:1-16, KJV

And . . . finally :hyper to John, a retinal scan could have seemed like a mark on the forehead, or the translation of Revelation 13:16 has been faulty for an extremely long time.

:pound Let the bashing begin :pound :rolleyes

usoutpost31

IMO those who taken the mark have already fallen under the strong delusion sent by God and aren't capable of repenting even if they wanted to. Not only are they worshipping a man as God but they are also engaged in all kinds of other despicable behaviour; murders, thefts, witchcraft, idol and demon worship, blaspheming God, killing of Christians, etc. All of mankind's worst impulses come to the forefront; the Restrainer has gone.

It might be possible that some people regret their decision or experience a moment of clarity before the end, but God's wrath is already upon them; when they take the Mark any hope for them is gone.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
AFAIK, taking the mark of the beast isn't the unpardonable sin, nor is worshipping a false god (so long as one comes to Jesus before death). So what happens if someone takes the mark, worships the beast, but then comes to saving faith in Jesus Christ before dying? To me this is no different than any of us being unsaved and then getting saved before we die.

Won't happen. Rev 14:11

Back