Revelation 11:8

Lujack Skylark

And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also are Lord was crucified. (Revelation 11:8)

We know the great city is Jerusalem where Jesus Christ was crucified.

"Spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt" is quite interesting for both Sodom and Egypt were wicked places for the Sodomites had trade with Egypt's bi-sexual king Pepi II the very king Abraham at age 75 and Sarah age 65 would meet Pepi II when he was 96 years old. Abraham would stay in Egypt until he was 76 years old for Abraham lived in Canaan for 10 years (Genesis 16:3) and Ishmael was born when Abraham was 86 years old. (Genesis 16:16)

Pepi II received plagues by God. (Genesis 12:17) Abraham left Egypt a rich man. (Genesis 13:1-2) Abraham received silver from Pepi II and there were no silver mines in Africa at this time in history. Pepi II had trade with Abraham's birthplace the city of UR before the Elamite king Kindattu/ Chedorlaomer (Genesis 14:1) destroyed UR and Abraham later destroys Chedorlaomer. (Genesis 14:17) Abraham and his father Terah and family lived in Haran for 8 years and UR was destroyed the same year Terah died when Abraham was 75. (Genesis 12:4) Abraham spent 75-76th year in Egypt because of a famine. (Genesis 12:10) Abraham then spent 10 years in Canaan 76-86 years before Ishmael was born. When Kindattu/Chedorlaomer was slain the next Elamite king Kindattu's nephew was Indattu I also called "Son of Pepi".

Pepi II died when he was 100 years old and Memphis and Thebes immediately fought a civil war starting when Pepi II had died. Saqqara Egyptian king lists list the next king to reign after Pepi II died was the Thebean king Mentuhotep II. Pepi II also had trade with Byblos a city destroyed by an earthquake the same time Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed some twenty years after Pepi II had died. Archaeologist found Pepi II artifacts which had been buried by the earthquake. Byblos was later rebuilt.

Spiritually both Sodom and Egypt were the same. Notice: Abraham took great wealth out of Egypt. (Genesis 13:2) The Hebrews took great wealth out of Egypt. (Exodus 12:35-36) Then when Egypt is desolate during the tribulation, the anti-Christ shall have power over the treasures of gold, silver and all the precious things of Egypt. (Daniel 11:43) The anti-Christ will not have power over the Egyptians for the land of Egypt will be desolate (Ezekiel 29:9-13) Egyptians scattered among nations will return while Jesus Christ reigns over the earth during Christ's 1,000 year reign. (Revelation 20:4)

Heistheway

Always wondered about that mention. Interesting history, but I have yet to digest the significance. Spiritually, Jerusalem is to be desolate and twisted at the time of the two prophets death????

Well, Muslims believe in a false god, allah. Jews are agnostic or believe in the One True God, but turn their backs on their Deliverer, Jesus Christ. I'd say these three groups probably constitute an overwhelming majority of Jerusalem inhabitants at this time. How far off am I?

duckdogger

Based on Scripture and further supported by present day demographic data I have read, I think it accurate to characterize Israel as, at the minimum, agnostic. Hence the 144,000 evangelicals and the 2 witnesses.