Resist the temptation to use charge cards!!!!

DanLMP

What are y'all gonna be drivin' in God's House? Even if you are able to pop from place to place with just a thought, wouldn't you want to drive something too?

It's not that your dreams aren't ever going to happen, they're just on hold.

Reason & Hope

One more thing about credit cards. I try not to use them for small businesses. The credit card companies charge businesses 2-3% for every transaction. That's how they can pay us rewards for using their cards. I prefer to support the small businesses a little but more by paying cash. My SIL owns a toy shop, so this is something I am sensitive to. As for big stores, I use my cards and I get enjoy the rewards.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Some small businesses batch their transactions to reduce fees, and there are some services that charge a flat rate per month no matter how many or much the transactions, or set a high enough limit that the small businesses rarely meet/exceed it. Amex is the most expensive card for most businesses to process, so some just don't take it. Some businesses charge a service fee for plastic, and some set a minimum purchase amount. This last is generally because they get charged a flat fee or a minimum fee per transaction. The church I've been attending provides an option to ad X percent to offset the processing fee when donating online.

6scalearmy

I don’t like using credit cards either, but I’m stuck with rising medical bills I can’t afford outright. Unfortunately I live with an incurable disease. I have to see several different doctors quite often. I have to use a credit card. That’s the only reason I do. We’ve never used the card to purchase material things.

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
Same here. But I do recognize that sometimes a credit card may be necessary if an important cost (such as medical) arises and a person does not have the cash to pay for it in one lump.
If you need to rent a car at anytime, you will need a credit card, that is one reason we have one. Any thing we happen to charge gets paid in full, no big spending and making minimum payments for months or years.

Armor of Light

If you need to rent a car at anytime, you will need a credit card, that is one reason we have one. Any thing we happen to charge gets paid in full, no big spending and making minimum payments for months or years.
And would like to add that we found out the hard way. Our vehicle broke down and we needed a vehicle for about 4 days, called all the rental car shops by the airport that we live only 5 minutes away from and none would take cash or a check, CC only. A good friend helped out, get it on his card and I paid him cash. Never knew you had to have a CC to rent a vehicle now days, years ago I rented one and they took cash or check.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
And would like to add that we found out the hard way. Our vehicle broke down and we needed a vehicle for about 4 days, called all the rental car shops by the airport that we live only 5 minutes away from and none would take cash or a check, CC only. A good friend helped out, get it on his card and I paid him cash. Never knew you had to have a CC to rent a vehicle now days, years ago I rented one and they took cash or check.

If you're having your car serviced or repaired by the dealer where you got it, they should provide a loaner :tappingfoot
Some used car lots will rent cars to locals for cash or check. You generally have to be known to them, though. Strategic friend-making :hmmm

Armor of Light

If you're having your car serviced or repaired by the dealer where you got it, they should provide a loaner :tappingfoot
Was purchased from a car rental company , it was pre owned with 25k miles. I had gone to the store and when I got in the truck to go home the door latch broke and could not keep door closed, drove 4 blocks to nearest dealer where I get it serviced with one arm holding door tight and had service shop check it out. No parts available anywhere in town, had to be ordered from Kentucky, it was Friday 5:30pm and part would be in on Tuesday. Called a friend and he picked me up and we got a rental. The story goes on from here. The part comes in on Tuesday am, I call around 3 pm to see if it is ready to pick up, service dept. says there is an issue, the tech installs the new latch, but somehow breaks the cable :oops: and the latch:rolleyes:, new parts need to be ordered, they say come to the shop and they will provide a loaner vehicle as the cable can not be shipped for 4 days:gaahsome kind of rare event that not enough parts blah blah blah(8 years ago so not covid related). So they give me a loaner vehicle. Now before they started working on the vehicle I had a service agreement when the original part was ordered with the cost of part and labor listed as $275-$300 parts/labor. When they finally called saying it was ready for pick up I drive to the service shop and the clerk in service department said my balance was $838 :furious. I said here is the work sheet with what this is suppose to cost, she calls the manager to get an over ride on the bill, he wants to argue with me stating the new part broke and a cable needed to be ordered and I stood my ground said not my problem as I did not break that new part, if it was defective that's not my fault. Now the room has several people waiting in line to get their vehicles and my voice is slightly raised and as I'm holding up the service request with the price quote that he wrote and I say you are charging me $500 extra for a defective part and a cable your tech broke?. He takes the work order quote folds it over and says this is what I will take for the work that was done, he writes $650 and says I think this is fair and hands it to me. I took the work order flipped it over and said this original price is fair and you should honor your quote, it's a $10 cable and $65 for latch and components when I said that he told the clerk the total is $300 and stamp lifetime warranty on receipt. Then he says how about you bring your truck here for all your service needs on your vehicle, I said I already do, it has never been anywhere but here since I have owned it, being the manager you would think he'd of known that, jerk. I got a letter from them about 2 years ago that the vehicle has not been in for regular service and the service department is now under new management, go figure.

GEOINTAnalyst

There is nothing wrong with using a credit card. Almost everything we purchase it with our credit card. However, we pay the entire balance off every month.
That is exactly what I do never charge more then you can afford to pay off monthly
Fraud Protection is best reason to use credit card and not debit card for purchases
In most cases, credit cards offer much greater fraud protection than debit cards. As long as the customer reports the loss or theft in a timely manner, their maximum liability for purchases made after the card disappeared is $50. The Electronic Fund Transfer Act gives debit card customers the same protection from loss or theft—but only if the customer reports it within 48 hours of discovery. After 48 hours, the debit card user’s liability rises to $500; after 60 days, there is no limit.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/caletters/2008/0807/08-07_attachment.pdf

Last edited: