Report: White House preparing for Ginsburg's departure

Discussion in 'Breaking News & World Events' started by Kaatje, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Kaatje

Kaatje Well-Known Member

Ginsburg missed oral arguments at the court for the first time in her 25 years on the bench.

The White House is "reaching out to political allies and conservative activist groups to prepare for an ailing Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s possible death or departure from the Supreme Court," according to Politico.

The outreach reportedly began after Ginsburg, who is 85, Monday missed oral arguments at the court for the first time in her 25 years on the bench.

Ginsburg announced in late December that she had undergone a surgical procedure to remove two cancerous growths from her lungs. The Supreme Court said in a statement that Ginsburg had a pulmonary lobectomy, and her doctors said that post-surgery there was “no evidence of any remaining disease.”

The White House "is taking the temperature on possible short-list candidates, reaching out to key stakeholders, and just making sure that people are informed on the process," said a source who spoke on background.

"They're doing it very quietly, of course, because the idea is not to be opportunistic, but just to be prepared so we aren't caught flat-footed."

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/257497

2. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

If Ginsburg leaves soonly, the Dems will be in a mad scramble to find ways to delay another Trump nomination. With a Republican Senate that may be hard to do.

For our non US members, the President nominates Federal Judges, the Senate (currently Republican controlled) confirms them. The House (currently Dem controlled) has nothing to do with it.

But the frenzy it would create would be enough to drown out the border wall issue.

3. Kaatje

Kaatje Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder which Republican will be bold and strong enough to withstand the next fake-trial.

4. lenraff

lenraff Well-Known Member

If the demoncrats had their way, they'd stuff her and have a communist ventriloquist do the talking from the next room. LOL

5. Kaatje

Kaatje Well-Known Member

:marionette :lolsign

6. Everlasting Life

Everlasting Life Through Faith in Jesus

Oh my, that's quite comedic! :lol

But, I actually think you're right, as sad as that is. It would be a desperate measure for their desperate time.

:pray ing for God's hand in this.

7. Andy C

Andy C Well-Known Member

If she is no longer able to sit on the bench, the dems will try every trick to keep her on the bench until next year. Why? If she somehow stays for another year, the dems can make the case that it will be a presidential election year, and you cant have a nominee hearing the same year. This is the same argument the republicans used for blocking Obamas nominee in the last presidential election year.

I hope she still has some life left, just not as a Supreme Court Justice.

8. daygo

daygo Well-Known Member

Interesting news.

9. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

:scoregood

10. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

In Obama's last year the Senate had the luxury of stalling the vote because the Senate was Republican controlled.

In Trump's last year of this first term the Senate will still be controlled by Republicans.

That could make all the difference.

11. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

And as a point of clarification to the OP, Trump's administration started getting a list together of possible Judicial candidates long before the inauguration, possibly before the election.

Considering that, I would expect that they have been keeping the list up to date. They are probably only dotting "i"s and crossing "t"s as a result of Ginsburg's condition and the OP article is a little more sensational than it needs to be. The article could have been published at any other time and still be correct.

12. Kaatje

Kaatje Well-Known Member

Maybe it is a deliberate slip-of-the-tongue to let the Left know they’ll steam right ahead if Mrs. Ginsbug retires?

13. Andy C

Andy C Well-Known Member

Possibly, but I doubt it. Lamestream media will remind EVERYONE about the GOPs position on election year scotus hearings. Some Republican RHINOs in the Senate will cave, so IMO, its this year, or not until after the elections.

14. TimeWarpWife

TimeWarpWife Well-Known Member

Ginsburg has repeatedly said she will not retire as long as Trump is POTUS - I believe the only way she's leaving prior to this is if she becomes completely incapacitated or dies.

15. Lynn

Lynn Well-Known Member

Justice Ginsburg doesn't get to decide everything pertaining to herself
    (nor do we). I was reading in Job and Psalms recently, and it's pretty clear just Who owns the Earth and everything
    (& everyone) in it. We can be sure that it is God's purposes that will be fulfilled in her length of service on the bench. This decision isn't ultimately hers to make.

16. Endangered

Endangered Well-Known Member

Ginzy has had multiple bouts with cancer and each bout she survived left her a little weaker. It has weakened her body and her mind. It is time for this dinosaur to go home, put away her gavel and leave the future to the younger and competent.

17. Kaatje

Kaatje Well-Known Member

Justice Ginsburg To Miss Second Straight Week On Bench

The Supreme Court’s eldest justice will miss another week of oral arguments as speculation swirls around the future of the nation’s highest court.

On Friday, spokesperson for Ruth Bader Ginsburg said the justice will be absent from next week’s sessions.

Ginsburg will be working from home and will be briefed on oral arguments. She will still participate in the consideration and decision of cases.

This comes after the 85-year-old missed her first oral argument in her 25-years on the bench this week as she continues to recover from cancer surgery.

The spokesperson said Ginsburg’s recovery from surgery is on track, and she will not need any further treatment.

According to Thursday reports, the Trump administration is preparing for the possibility of nominating a new Supreme Court justice.

https://www.oann.com/justice-ginsburg-to-miss-second-straight-week-on-bench/

Kristine, Lynn, chaser and 4 others like this.
  18. Lynn

Lynn Well-Known Member

Sorry that she's so ill, but I do think it's time for her to hang up her black robe and gavel. The chairs are custom made for each new justice coming onto the court, so let her have that, too. I saw it once, and it's too short for anyone else to be comfortable in it anyway. This woman is brilliant, but the wisdom of this world will not count for eternity. So sad that the Washington power circles are not prepared for what comes after the dinner party lights are turned out. They truly need our prayers.

19. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Kristine, Patiently..., Lynn and 6 others like this.
  20. Lynn

Lynn Well-Known Member

Apparently, the Santa Monica Observer isn't a reliable source of information, so I deleted my post from their paper. Praying for Associate Justice Ginsburg to hear the gospel and to respond to the truth before it's too late for her. God's Word says that He takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked, Ezekiel 33:11, so I think He gives them every opportunity to believe the gospel right up until they die. Oftentimes, it may be that the Lord speaks directly into the mind of a lost person (rather than a verbal witness from someone else) who is not going to live much longer. If so, praying that she responds. :pray

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019 at 1:20 PM
    Patiently... likes this.