Replacement Theology

rks7777

Can anybody provide me with some prominent preachers that believe in Replacement Theology? I hate to have anyone “name name’s” but I’m in a discussion with my mom about this and I want to be able to speak accurately to her. She has a tendency to believe all evangelicals she sees on TV. Thanks in advance.

Andy C

Can anybody provide me with some prominent preachers that believe in Replacement Theology? I hate to have anyone “name name’s” but I’m in a discussion with my mom about this and I want to be able to speak accurately to her. She has a tendency to believe all evangelicals she sees on TV. Thanks in advance.
Did you mean that argue against replacement Theology, vice believe in? Replacement Theology is banned from being promoted on this site.

From Jack Kelley against Replacement Theology

Question: I found an article on a Christian site where the author claims that the Old Testament contains many prophecies that cannot be fulfilled and promises that have been forfeited because God’s promises to Israel were conditional. Am I correct in interpreting his teaching as replacement theology? What would you say in a rebuttal to this? I personally don’t believe in replacement theology and think it is a heretical teaching and was interested in your view. Thanks for your wonderful insight.

Answer: Yes, you’ve come across a website that teaches Replacement Theology. This view holds that when the Jews rejected the Messiah, all the promises to Israel were transferred to the Church. It’s held by a significant portion of the main line protestant church as well as their more extreme counter parts in the Christian white supremacy movement, where it’s used to justify their anti-semitism.

Advocates of Replacement Theology have departed from a literal interpretation of Scripture, especially where the Old Testament is concerned, and in the New Testament they often re-interpret passages about Israel, saying they’re really written to the Church. Therefore, offering a satisfactory rebuttal is difficult. But there are a number of passages that clearly deny this teaching, and if you take God at His Word, you’ll reject Replacement Theology. Jeremiah 31:35-37 is representative.

This is what the LORD says, he who appoints the sun to shine by day, who decrees the moon and stars to shine by night, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar– the LORD Almighty is his name: “Only if these decrees vanish from my sight,” declares the LORD, “will the descendants of Israel ever cease to be a nation before me.” This is what the LORD says: “Only if the heavens above can be measured and the foundations of the earth below be searched out will I reject all the descendants of Israel because of all they have done,” declares the LORD.
And in the New Testament, there’s

Romans 11:25-27
“I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in. And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: “The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob. And this is my covenant with them when I take away their sins.”

This sounds pretty unconditional to me. There are literally scores of other similar promises.
As far as prophecies that cannot be fulfilled, this idea goes against the very heart of God’s most powerful claim to authority. The way He validates Himself as being worthy of our obedience to Him is by His faithfulness in keeping His promises to us. You’ve staked your eternal destiny on this. Listen to

Isaiah 46:8-10.
“Remember this, fix it in mind, take it to heart, you rebels. Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.”

Advocates of Replacement Theology are asking us to believe that God didn’t know that Israel would disobey Him and therefore had to come up with a plan B when they did. They say that Israel’s unfaithfulness to Him justifies His unfaithfulness to them. If so, what’s to prevent Him from changing His mind about us? The Church has certainly been unfaithful. Like I said, if you take God at His Word, you’ll reject Replacement Theology.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/a-question-about-replacement-theology-2/

rks7777

Did you mean that argue against replacement Theology, vice believe in? Replacement Theology is banned from being promoted on this site.

I’m against Replacement Theology and so is my 89 year old mother. She watches John Hagee and for some reason I thought Hagee believed in Replacement Theology. I just want to know where Hagee may stand on this.

SafReb

Personally, I will not recommend Hagee. I don't think he promotes Replacement Theology, as he supports Israel and has been active in raising funds etc. But I have issues with his teaching.

Those that dispute God's covenant with Israel are usually from Preterism, Dominion Theology, Reformed Churches (Calvinists).

Dominion Theology - are usually associated with the New Apostolic Reformation.

Preterists - full preterism teaches that all biblical prophecy has been fulfilled, including the second coming of Christ, Satan and the Antichrist being thrown into the lake of fire, the resurrection of the dead, and the full arrival of the kingdom of God.

I can't provide names as I have no time for this evil teaching, it is a satanic lie.

However, there are some good articles that refutes these beliefs:

https://www.gotquestions.org/preterist.html

https://www.gotquestions.org/replacement-theology.html

I knew a lady in my church who believe this doctrine to such an extent that she labels Israel and the Jews as "evil". I tried endlessly, by providing scriptures, articles, videos and so on, but nothing will shift her views. I stopped and now I just pray for her.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Edit.....I missed Andy's excellent Jack Kelly article in his post. Andy does such a great job utilizing Jack Kelly's write ups and I have followed his example. :) I'll just keep the other two articles here in this post.

There's also God's word, these also might be a helpful resource:

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/1-peter-29-and-replacement-theology/

Q
How do you answer someone who believes Israel has been replaced by the Church and uses 1 Pet. 2:9 to support his position?

A
Replacement Theology is the false teaching that after Israel rejected Jesus as their Messiah, God transferred to the Church all the unfilled promises He had made to Israel. Therefore the Church has replaced Israel in God’s plans for the future.

1 Peter 2:9 says, “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.”

Notice this verse doesn’t disqualify Israel from anything. It doesn’t say the Church has become the chosen people, as if we’ve been chosen in place of Israel, just that we’re a chosen people.

In addition, one of the problems of trying to build doctrine on one or two verses is that if you get it wrong you have to either ignore or re-interpret lots of other ones to maintain your position. This is true of replacement theology, no matter which verses you try to hang your hat on. Through out the Old and New testaments prophecies of the reappearance of Israel in the End Times are so numerous as to be undeniable.
For example, in Luke 21:24 Jesus said Jerusalem would be trampled on by the Gentiles until the time of the Gentiles is fulfilled. The word “until” means there will be an end to Gentile dominion but Jerusalem will remain.

Romans 11:25-29 is another clear example showing that after the church has been taken, Israel will be saved. There are dozens of others in Deuteronomy, the Psalms, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Micah, Zechariah, etc. In summary it’s impossible to hold to a literal interpretation of the Bible and also subscribe to replacement theology.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/replacement-theology/

Q
I guess I must have had my head in the sand for many, many years or something but it never occurred to me so strongly until recently that there are some last day views that write Israel as a Nation out of Revelation.

I guess it is part of the “Church replaces Israel” view but even their views vary. I know that the New Covenant is that all who are to be saved in this day, will be part of the Church, so they include all in Israel who will believe in Christ.

I guess my question is how can they ignore the language of Revelation, the 144,000, Babylon, the 12 tribes, Mt.Zion, The Mount of Olives, etc etc. Do they spiritualize the book of Revelation? Is it seen as all of the O.T. has already taken place or fulfilled before Christ came? I can see the point of all who become saved being the Church but I just cannot see the Church as being Israel.

A
The view you’re asking about is called Replacement Theology because it replaces every mention of Israel with the Church. Since the Bible is clear that Israel will endure the Great Tribulation, many people who believe in Replacement Theology are either post-trib, or deny the Tribulation altogether, saying it all happened in the past. In either case holding this view requires a departure from the literal understanding of end times prophecies like the Book of Revelation.

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace
Dispensational teaching is an antidote to Replacement Theology. This is so because Dispensational teaching takes a literal approach to Scripture which leads to the insight that the Church has a place in Scripture distinct from Israel. The period from Pentecost to the Rapture marks the Biblical period where God deals mainly with His Church and after the Rapture turns once again His focus mainly back on His people Israel.
One prominent name that comes to mind who holds to the heretical view of Replacement Theology is Hank Hannegraaff, who usurped the title 'Bible Answer Man', from Walter Martin (after his passing) but is no longer evangelical as he (Hank) since moved to the Eastern Orthodox Church which is also bent towards Replacement Theology. (good riddance)

Last edited:

RonJohnSilver

Take a look at what is called the 'new covenant' in Jeremiah 31:31-37. It's one of the covenants that God made with Israel. This one talks of a time, yet future, when Israel will return in repentance. Note the wording in verse 34..."If this fixed order (stars/planets) departs from before me, declares the Lord, then the offspring of Israel also will cease from being a nation before me forever." As my former pastor always said..."What does forever mean?" It means forever, in all languages. The Abrahamic Covenant (Gen. 12: 1-3) gives Israel the land title forever, the Davidic Covenant (2 Sam 7) promises that the messianic line will continue forever and the Palestinian Covenant (Deut. 30) foretells the time of dispersion and then recovery. Hope that helps.

SafReb

I’ve being thinking about your post and came across Pastor Dr Charles Baldwin. I watched him on YT thinking that he was OK to watch until I heard his rhetoric. At which point I felt the need to warn others.

For over 30 years, he was pro-Israel. He now identifies as an anti-Zionist, believing that Zionism is the main threat to the U.S. He writes that Zionists control the media, "the mainstream Christian religion, and the U.S. government" and that Zionism is responsible for the ills of U.S. society and culture

He is a member of the Independent American (Conservative) Party, a radio host and founder-former pastor of Crossroad Baptist Church in Pensacola, Florida and as 2011 is a pastor of Liberty Fellowship in Kalispell, Montana. He is publishes numerous articles on Christians sites and political platforms.

sawas

Take a look at what is called the 'new covenant' in Jeremiah 31:31-37. It's one of the covenants that God made with Israel. This one talks of a time, yet future, when Israel will return in repentance. Note the wording in verse 34..."If this fixed order (stars/planets) departs from before me, declares the Lord, then the offspring of Israel also will cease from being a nation before me forever." As my former pastor always said..."What does forever mean?" It means forever, in all languages. The Abrahamic Covenant (Gen. 12: 1-3) gives Israel the land title forever, the Davidic Covenant (2 Sam 7) promises that the messianic line will continue forever and the Palestinian Covenant (Deut. 30) foretells the time of dispersion and then recovery. Hope that helps.
I think you meant to say verse 36. But, yeah, sort of like God saying, "if I have anything to say about it" (which He does, LOL) then this is the deal.

borrowedtime

Replacement Theology, as I understand it, teaches that the Church replaced the Jews in some way, that we are Spiritual Jews. I want to go on record as being opposed to this doctrine. I'm sorry if my friends believe otherwise.

I actually do understand the need to listen to other theologies. For witnessing purposes and also helps you learn more about yours.

crossnote

I actually do understand the need to listen to other theologies. For witnessing purposes and also helps you learn more about yours.
If I need help learning about my faith through the lies of other movements, then my faith is tenuous.

borrowedtime

If I need help learning about my faith through the lies of other movements, then my faith is tenuous.

youre not learning about your faith through the lies through other movements.

Your seeing if your faith/theology can withstand absolute scrutiny.

We do not have to have “blind faith” in order to be Christian. Romans 12:2 Prove that which is good.

One of the reasons I became a Christian was constantly challenging positions and coming to the conclusion the Bible withstood scrutiny and had a better view of the world than “philosophers”.

Jesus/Paul allowed others to challenge them with questions. I don’t see the issue.

SafReb

We don't learn about our faith "through the lies of other movement", rather we are to "expose them" (Ephesians 5:11) and we are to "contend for the faith. Even Paul at Marsh Hill addressed the pagan leaders by quoting their philosophers and then dismantling their beliefs. Jesus did exactly the same thing with the religious leaders who misinterpreted the bible/Torah.

The letter of Jude is essentially a sermon. In it, Jude preached against the dangerous practices and doctrines that put the gospel of Jesus Christ in peril. These were serious issues and Jude dealt with them seriously

"Jude wants all believers to contend earnestly for the faith. A true contender vigorously endeavors to win the competition, not holding anything back. In this case, the struggle is for “the faith,” which is the saving truth of Jesus Christ and His teachings (2 Corinthians 11:3–4; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; Hebrews 1:2).

Since this faith was “entrusted to God’s holy people,” all believers, not just Christian leaders, are called to defend the truth of Jesus Christ. And since this faith was entrusted “once for all,” Jude intends to stand against those who claim to receive “new” revelations of truth. Through Christ’s personal teachings and the work of the Holy Spirit, Jesus has already given the full message of truth to the apostles (John 14:26; 16:12–13).

Paul gives a similar warning not to let anyone pervert the gospel of Christ with new and different teachings (Galatians 1:6–9). God has spoken, and any new, continuing, or special revelations of “truth” are to be rejected."
https://www.gotquestions.org/contend-for-the-faith.html

crossnote

We do not have to have “blind faith” in order to be Christian. Romans 12:2 Prove that which is good.
No one is making that case I hope, but faith comes by hearing the truth, not the lies of others. That was my point...

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
(Rom 10:17)

The reason I became a Christian was more along the lines of...

And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
(Mat 16:16-17)

Last edited:

sawas

OK, I see we are running along two separate concepts called 'faith' (both true). Faith=body of beliefs and faith=personal trust in Jesus Christ.
Yes, that's exactly right. Some of us are called to ensure that the Body of Christ understand and adhere to sound doctrine, while others are called to (and focus) on helping to bring new believers unbelievers to salvation. Both, IMHO, are righteous functions of the Church and should (as a matter of course) overlap. This thread, I would imagine, is focused on the former.

Last edited: