"Remember, Christians Buy Teslas Too."

Epieikes

What would it take for Christians to regain faith in Twitter (my add: as a means to be salt and light THERE, while we are here)? One idea...

An open letter from Hibbs to Musk...

"Dear Mr. Musk,

I quit Twitter some time ago. I have no doubt that I would have been thrown off eventually, but my disgust over the rampant censorship, of which you yourself are aware, was enough to make me pull the plug on my own.

You see, I’m one of those people who likes to express truths that are contrary to the popular narrative. I tend to make statements that not so long ago would have sounded like common sense, but in today’s cultural circus are branded as disinformation, propaganda or even hate speech. You know, statements like this:
  • Killing infants (whether inside or outside the womb) is wrong.
  • Children should be protected from being sexualized.
  • Voter fraud and election corruption are things we should be concerned about.
  • Injecting a vaccine (or anything else) into your body can have unknown consequences.
  • There’s nothing wrong with calling a man a man, even if he has convinced himself and others that he is a woman (and vice versa).
But it seems “disinformation” is in the eye of the beholder, doesn’t it?...
So, Mr. Musk, what will it take to get Christians to come back to Twitter? I think many of these items are already on your list:
  • Edit the fact-checkers. Time and again, we’ve seen these so-called “impartial” and “unbiased” parties propagate their own agendas or feed the popular narrative.
  • Keep the humor. Sarcasm, satire and wit have all been dumbed down thanks to a perpetually offended culture.
  • Don’t censor political views. Opposing views can irritate and frustrate. But this is America, where we should always defend our opponents’ right to express those views.
  • Be unconventional. This is your forte! While I support an individual’s right to voice their opinion, I also support the personal right and choice of an individual to tune out voices and themes they find obnoxious, aggressive, confrontational or vulgar. Find a way to balance free speech with security and privacy — whether that be through a rating system, similar to the movie industry, creating more robust private group capabilities or better vetting and verifying users. There must be creative ways to keep the public square a clean and productive space.
  • Conquer the troll bots. The world has enough conflict with just humans.
  • Ban banning. Unless a user is breaking the law, silencing them through banning and removing them from Twitter is not the way things should be addressed.
  • Display algorithm transparency. Let the public see what’s going on, and encourage participation and debate for making the process better.
Mr. Musk, let’s get together and talk about these things in person. Let’s talk about Twitter, God, evolution, corruption in California, Intelligent Design, life after death, Mars, cars or anything that moves us further in our mutual pursuit of truth.

I’d love to have an open dialogue where we civilly agree on some things and disagree on others. After all, that’s the point — isn’t it?

And remember, Christians buy Teslas too."

https://harbingersdaily.com/jack-hi...xed-for-christians-to-regain-faith-in-twitter

Epieikes

Twitter's neither my personal nor preferred battlefield...though highly encouraged in one of my previous school systems in a "professional connection-growth" way...but God is calling other Christ-followers to use it for His purposes. Any pushback to censorship when it asserts Kingdom values gets my nods and prayers.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Nice letter... I personally have never seen the need for Twitter, Facebook, etc. I joined Twitter so I could read Trump's posts after he became President since all the 2ndary sources were twisting and editing what he was saying. After he left office I left Twitter. Even then, I rarely checked to see what he was saying.

I keep in touch with family via text, email, phone calls, and in person exchanges.

Some people like to debate ideas with others but I guess I really don't, myself. I'll present something, but after that I don't feel a need to try and defend the position.

I've tried to give some support to many of the newer social media sites but ultimately I stop visiting as I just don't see how that type of activity has any value for my time.

Epieikes

Nice letter... I personally have never seen the need for Twitter, Facebook, etc. I joined Twitter so I could read Trump's posts after he became President since all the 2ndary sources were twisting and editing what he was saying. After he left office I left Twitter. Even then, I rarely checked to see what he was saying.

I keep in touch with family via text, email, phone calls, and in person exchanges.

Some people like to debate ideas with others but I guess I really don't, myself. I'll present something, but after that I don't feel a need to try and defend the position.

I've tried to give some support to many of the newer social media sites but ultimately I stop visiting as I just don't see how that type of activity has any value for my time.
Me to a T---TT. Especially when the "opponent" is saturated with the lack of "openmindedness" he/she is demanding you have...

MapleLeaf

Yeah, I am only on Twitter to lurk. The randos there scare me so I have a strict "do not engage" policy.

TimeWarpWife

I was briefly on MySpace, then went over the FB when my very few family and friends switched over to it. Then I dumped FB when I got a message from them telling me that my FB friends would not be seeing certain videos I posted as they were "offensive" to some people. The video they specifically targeted was on YouTube and called "The Rapture ~ Are You Ready?" It showed a pastor telling his congregation that the Rapture could happen at any moment - and it does. The pastor and most of the congregation are taken in the Rapture, but some sadly were left behind, wandering around looking confused. All but two people of my twenty-some friends were Christians and the two who weren't believers were my uncle and his son, who were not offended by the video. When this happened, I knew it was time to tell FB and Zuckerberg to take a hike. I don't miss FB at all, and I've never had any interest in any of the other social media platforms because I knew they were also being run by lunatic Demonrat supporters. Even if Mr. Musk does what he says he intends to do, and everyone is welcome to express their opinions and beliefs on Twitter, I still don't have any interest in it. I like Pastor Jack and I hope Mr. Musk does meet with him to discuss Christian views and Twitter. If the meeting takes place, there's no doubt in my mind that Pastor Jack will present the gospel to Mr. Musk, I just pray God prepares his heart to receive it.

Last edited:

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
All I want is for those who post accurate Biblical material to be free from punishment, banishment, or gaslighting. Until that happens on any social media platform, that platform will remain of no interest to me.
Never did any Tweets, but was on FB for about 8 months, during that 8 months I was constantly put in solitary LOL for always posting offensive Jesus material, whatever.

Cloud Watcher

I joined Facebook to see what my grandkids were up to. Sometimes it's the only way to learn what's going on with them. I joined up with some author and writers groups too, so I know when the next books in series are coming out. I rarely post anything except replies or holiday greetings. I once posted one of Mary's memes during the covid shutdown and Facebook banned it as misinformation. Never bothered to do that again. It annoys me that they post so many advertisements.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I actually think it's kind of creepy for family members to keep in touch by posting personal stuff on Facebook or any other company's social media website.
I didn’t like it when people would post very personal things about their kids :(
Unless your child is an adult and gives you permission tell something personal you should keep it off social media
They have right to privacy

Feel bad for the kids whose parent have decided to document their whole childhood on YouTube and will be so embarrassed when they are older

Footsteps

I actually think it's kind of creepy for family members to keep in touch by posting personal stuff on Facebook or any other company's social media website.
I love it when other church members send me pictures of all the food they are about to eat without offering to save me so much as a green bean. It makes me feel like the Little Match Girl looking through the front window of a fancy restaurant watching mobsters eating a cow.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
I dunno. :shrug I respect Jack's intentions at extending this very kind invitation, but what is the point? Why is Twitter all of a sudden the town square of all free speech, when we are getting locked out and drowned out in so many other places? Why is Elon suddenly the anointed champion for free speech? Does Jack really think it will make a difference....as to the course of where this nation is going.... if Elon decides to complete the deal and make it a free speech area? Twitter is huge, but it's just a website. One website. I say, so what if he does? There will be fifty other ways for them to try to duct tape peoples' mouths shut, twist our words, and call us fake news. Look at the president we had, and what they did to him....in every aspect, not just Twitter.
I guess it's worth a shot? Seems like a lot of energy and attention focused on the wrong thing to me. But I do hope Elon believes and follows Christ.