Regarding Babylon:

Waiting......

The bible says in the 18th chapter of Revelation that Babylon will rise to power again. I am aware that Saddam Hussein invested in rebuilding in 1987. But aside from the US building a large base there, isnt it still pretty much uninhabited? If we are living in end times now, is there even time to get it rebuilt?
I found this article by David Jeremiah and in the last paragraph he seems to think the antichrist will get it done. What say you?

BABYLON TODAY: REBUILDING THE ANCIENT CITY

The city of Babylon is currently in ruins. Yet we know it will rise to power again because of biblical prophecy. The eighteenth chapter of Revelation says Babylon will once again rule the economic world, this time as a hub for the Antichrist's one–world economy. In the End Times, it will rise—and fall—again.
How will this transformation occur? In the world today, there are already indications emerging of things to come.

The rebuilding of Babylon is not just an idle topic of scholarly books. When Saddam Hussein rose to power in Iraq, he conceived a grandiose scheme for the rebuilding of that ancient city. He promised that Babylon's grand palaces and legendary Hanging Gardens (one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World) would rise from the dust. Believing himself to be the reincarnation of King Nebuchadnezzar II, who had conquered Jerusalem 2,500 years earlier, Hussein invested more than $500 million toward his goal of restoring Babylon's ancient city.
In 1987, while on a site visit to the ruins of Nebuchadnezzar's palace, Hussein asked how his guides were so certain of the date of its construction. The curator showed Hussein some of the original bricks, stamped with the name of Nebuchadnezzar II and the date that we now refer to as 605 B.C. Hussein, not to be outdone, had bricks laid in his palace wall that read: "In the reign of the victorious Saddam Hussein, the president of the Republic, . . . the guardian of the great Iraq and the renovator of its renaissance and the builder of its great civilization, the rebuilding of the great city of Babylon was done in 1987."1
To further cement the implication of a relationship between himself and Nebuchadnezzar, Hussein had a seal struck depicting parallel images of himself and the ancient ruler. The inscription was written in the wedge shapes of ancient cuneiform script as well as, strangely enough, in English.
Hussein was consumed with reviving the glory days of Babylon under Nebuchadnezzar. He made Babylon "the focal point of Iraqi nationalism," and on September 22, 1987, he inaugurated the musical event known as the Babylon Festival. Saddam seemed determined to echo Nebuchadnezzar's bold proclamation: "Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for a royal dwelling by my mighty power and for the honor of my majesty?" (Daniel 4:30).
Saddam's extravagant plans were interrupted by the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003. Despite his removal from power and subsequent execution, the work to rebuild Babylon continues.
How does a war–torn nation like Iraq come up with the funds to rebuild an ancient site? Obviously, some of the resources come from the exportation of oil. In early 2010, Iraqi oil exports were at the highest level in more than a decade. As the world's third largest exporter of crude oil, the Iraqi government has issued long–term contracts with foreign oil companies to manage ten of Iraq's major oil fields. Al–Maliki aims to make Iraq a "preeminent producer that will rival, if not eclipse, Saudi Arabia and Russia" as the predominant world oil producers.2
In 2009 the U.S. State Department issued a media note announcing a $700,000 pledge to The Future of Babylon Project, explaining that "Babylon stands out among Iraq's rich contributions to humanity." The note went on to say that this project "exemplifies the American people's commitment to the preservation of human heritage and their respect for the cultural heritage of Iraq."4
An article in the British newspaper The Independent was titled, "Iraq's New Venture: Holidays in the Garden of Eden," and subtitled, "Iraq is trying to lure visitors to the land of Babylon with the slogan 'tourism not terrorism.' " The article goes on to say, "The cradle of civilisation, the land of Babylon and the Garden of Eden, will become a paradise for foreign tourists."5
The United States government is taking seriously the rise of the city of Babylon and the central place of Iraq in the future of the world. On January 5, 2009, the largest and, at $474 million, the most expensive U.S. Embassy in the world opened in Baghdad, not far from Babylon. The 104–acre, twenty–seven–building complex is situated on the banks of the Tigris River.6 It includes 619 apartments for staff, restaurants, basketball and volleyball courts, and an indoor Olympic–sized swimming pool.7
This embassy, known as "Embassy Baghdad," is the largest of its kind in the world. It is the size of eighty football fields—as large as Vatican City—with a population of 5,500. It dwarfs U.S. embassies elsewhere that typically cover about ten acres. The Baghdad embassy has its own defense force and is designed to be entirely self–sufficient. We can see by these moves toward rebuilding Babylon that the city has a special interest in the eyes of the powers of the world. I believe these steps signal the beginning of the fulfillment of biblical prophecy. Henry Morris explains:
Never has a great world city had such a meteoric rise as New Babylon, and never will one experience such a cataclysmic and total fall. . . . Babylon on the Euphrates has lain dormant and foreboding for centuries. . . . But mighty Babylon is not really dead. . . . Suddenly it will rise once again. Under the impact of overwhelming geopolitical needs, it will be authorized and implemented by the unprecedented building program undertaken by the federal ten–kingdom empire of the West, then pushed to dynamic completion by the Beast. Finally it will be inaugurated as the great world capital of the Beast, who will have become king of all the kingdoms of the globe.

https://www.davidjeremiah.org/age-of-signs/babylon-today-rebuilding-the-ancient-city

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
If you're interested in the topic Bablyon, Ron Rhodes recently published a book: New Babylon Rising: The Emerging End Times World Order. The main topic is physical Babylon and why it will ultimately become the governing seat of the antichrist government. I guess I liked the book because I agreed with 99% of the content. It does do a good job of showing why Babylon will be Babylon and not some other place...

My opinion is that the ancient city of Babylon at its site in Iraq will eventually be the seat of the OWG under the antichrist. Between now and then it'll be rebuilt into a great city.

Last edited:

Waiting......

I believe there's a good argument to be made for "Mystery Babylon" being the city of Jersualem.

I've been using Tony Garland (spirit & truth ministries) Here is what he says:

Evidence against Babylon = Jerusalem
The Old Testament passages concerning the destruction of Babylon consistently contrast Jerusalem with Babylon. When Babylon is destroyed, Jerusalem is vindicated and restored. The preterist view completely reverses the meaning of many passages (Isa. 14:1-4; Jer. 50:17-20; 51:1-6, 24, 35, 49). Scripture records that Babylon will be destroyed never to be inhabited again. If Babylon is Jerusalem and was destroyed in A.D. 70, then why is it inhabited and a bone of contention today? Babylon is to be destroyed, whereas Jerusalem is to be restored (Isa. 2:3; 62:1; Zec. 14:16; Rev. 20:9).

Waiting......

If you're interested in the topic Bablyon, Ron Rhodes recently published a book: New Babylon Rising: The Emerging End Times World Order. The main topic is physical Babylon and why it will ultimately become the governing seat of the antichrist government. I guess I liked the book because I agreed with 99% of the content. It does do a good job of showing why Babylon will be Babylon and not some other place...

My opinion is that the ancient city of babylon at its site in Iraq will eventually be the seat of the OWG under the antichrist. Between now and then it'll be rebuilt into a great city.

Thank you , I'll check on the book. It just seems to me it would take a long time to rebuild it.

roysmalley

I've never heard that theory before. What Biblical evidence do you have to back that up?
A summary of my notes on the subject -
  • HISTORICAL BABYLON LEFT DESOLATE
    • Isaiah 13:19-20 says that Babylon "will be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, it will never be inhabited, nor will it be settled from generation to generation;"
    • I take this literally - that the historical city of Babylon will never again be rebuilt. Therefore, "Mystery Babylon" must refer to something else.
  • A HARLOT -
    • Revelation 17 refers to "Mystery Babylon" as a harlot on a scarlet beast
    • Ezekiel 16 refers at length to Jerusalem's harlotry
    • Jeremiah 3:6-10 refers several times to Israel as a harlot
    • Eze 6:9 refers to Israel playing the harlot
  • ADORNED
    • Revelation 17 refers to Mystery Babylon as "arrayed in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls"
    • Exodus 39:1-7 describes the priestly garments as being made of blue, purple, and scarlet thread, with gems in settings of gold
    • 2 Chron 3:4-8,14 describes the temple interior as overlaid with gold, decorated with precious stones, with a veil of blue, purple, and crimson
  • DEATHS OF THE PROPHETS
    • In Luke 13:33-34, Jesus says, "for it cannot be that a prophet should perish outside of Jerusalem. O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her!"
    • "perish" is the Greek word apollymi, meaning kill, destroy, ruin, put to death
    • The two witnesses are killed in Jerusalem - "in the street of the great city which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified."
    • Mystery Babylon is "drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus" (Rev 17:6)
    • "Rejoice over her, O heaven, and you holy apostles and prophets, for God has avenged you on her!" (Rev 18:20)
    • "And in her was found the blood of prophets and saints, and of all who were slain on the earth." (Rev 18:24)
  • GREAT CITY
    • "And the woman whom you saw is that great city which reigns over the kings of the earth." (Rev 17:18)
    • "reigns" is the Greek word echō, which can mean to have or hold possession of the mind (refers to alarm, agitating emotions, etc.)
    • Jeremiah 22:8-9 says, "And many nations will pass by this city; and everyone will say to his neighbor, ‘Why has the LORD done so to this great city?’ Then they will answer, ‘Because they have forsaken the covenant of the LORD their God, and worshiped other gods and served them.’"
    • The two witnesses are killed in Jerusalem - "in the street of the great city which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified."
    • When the 7th bowl is poured out, "the great city" is divided into three parts
      • In Zechariah 14:3-5, the Lord's feet touch down on the Mount of Olives and it is split - inhabitants of Jerusalem flee through the valley
      • Rev 18:4 - And I heard another voice from heaven saying, “Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues."
  • SEVEN MOUNTAINS
    • "The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sits." (Rev 17:9)
    • Historically and geographically, the seven hills of Jerusalem are Mount of Olives, Mount Scopus, Mount of Corruption, Mount Ophel, the Original Mount Zion, the New Mount Zion and the Hill on which the Antonia Fortress was built.
  • SIT AS QUEEN
    • Rev 18:7 - "she says in her heart, ‘I sit as queen, and am no widow, and will not see sorrow.’"
    • Deut 29:19 - And so it may not happen, when he hears the words of this curse, that he blesses himself in his heart, saying, 'I shall have peace, even though i follow the dictates of my heart' - as though the drunkard could be included with the sober.
  • DESTROYED IN A DAY
    • Rev 17:16 - And the ten horns which you saw on the beast, these will hate the harlot, make her desolate and naked, eat her flesh and burn her with fire.
    • Rev 18:8 - Therefore her plagues will come in one day—death and mourning and famine. And she will be utterly burned with fire, for strong is the Lord God who judges her.
    • Deut 29:20-23 - ‘The whole land is brimstone, salt, and burning; it is not sown, nor does it bear, nor does any grass grow there, like the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah, Admah, and Zeboiim, which the LORD overthrew in His anger and His wrath.’
    • Rev 18:19 - For in one hour she is made desolate.
  • GLOBAL MOURNING
    • Rev 18:9-19 - the world mourns the fall of Mystery Babylon
    • Deut 29:24 - All nations would say, 'Why has the Lord done so to this land? What does the heat of this great anger mean?'
Also, if the antichrist sets himself up in the temple as a false god, then it would make sense that he would be "reigning" from Jersusalem, and not the historical city of Babylon.

Again, that's a summary of my notes. I've been using mind-mapping software to make a cross-referenced concept map and timeline as I study the end times prophecies.

Neonap

My personal belief is that Rome/catholic church is mystery babylon that is spoken of in the book of revelation, which will be the headquarters of where this one world religion is born. That great city.

Others hold the opinion that it's an actual rebuilt Babylon, which I'm also open to as well. There are great arguments for both sides. Though it would be pretty wild to see the ancient Babylon restored in our modern times.

seated with Christ

Come quickly, Lord Jesus.
Interesting thing about Sadamm Hussein is that he was born in the same town as Saladdin and he saw himself as Saladdin reincarnated - the guy was a sicko.

Last edited:

SafReb

The Future of Babylon project is a joint effort between the World Monuments Fund, which works to save key cultural heritage sites, and Iraq's State Board of Antiquities and Heritage.

Since 2008, WMF has been working with Iraq’s State Board of Antiquities and Heritage (SBAH) to conserve the fragile archaeological remains of Babylon.

The project's original aim was to complete a management plan for Babylon, but it has been expanded to include restoration and conservation work at various parts of the site as well.

From 2009 to 2016, WMF collaborated with the SBAH to document the site, complete condition surveys, and develop conservation plans. We assisted with the conservation and stabilization of the Lion of Babylon and completed a Site Management Plan, which addresses issues such as site boundaries, areas where future excavations might take place, identifying economic opportunities for local communities, and ways to accommodate tourists effectively at the site.

Another main focus of the project has been assisting the SBAH with the completion of a World Heritage nomination for Babylon. Several workshops were held in 2017 to advance the research and writing necessary for this goal. On July 5, 2019, Babylon was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.

WMF is grateful to numerous donors who have contributed to the conservation, training, and management planning activities for Babylon including the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, the Paul Mellon Estate, the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, the Annenberg Foundation, the J. M. Kaplan Fund, and the Charities Aid Foundation of Canada.

There are also number of related projects in Babylon that is also been profiled in the WMF https://www.wmf.org/project/future-babylon

Recent video: Babylon (Iraq)-Site management during COVID-19 pandemic
https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/278/video/

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/278/

Last edited:

RonJohnSilver

As for a physical Babylon city, remember that it does not require many of the functions of a conventional city. There do not have to be housing developments, businesses, restaurants or any of the things that we usually see in even small cities. It will be noted for governing and how many buildings will that require? If government is its
sole function, then it could be relatively small and thus rebuilt quickly, even modernizing what is there now.

Waiting......

I’m not a scholar but to me the mystery Babylon isn’t so much a place as it is an economic/religious system. Jack Kelley explains it well.

https://gracethrufaith.com/the-book-of-revelation/revelation-17-18/
A Bible Study by Jack Kelley
Thanks for your articles... I have scanned them but need more time to read them,
But I get discouraged with myself because I'll read one and say 'oh ok' and then read another and think 'that sounds right too.' I get myself so confused!!! :rolleyes2

Waiting......

The Future of Babylon project is a joint effort between the World Monuments Fund, which works to save key cultural heritage sites, and Iraq's State Board of Antiquities and Heritage.

Since 2008, WMF has been working with Iraq’s State Board of Antiquities and Heritage (SBAH) to conserve the fragile archaeological remains of Babylon.

The project's original aim was to complete a management plan for Babylon, but it has been expanded to include restoration and conservation work at various parts of the site as well.

From 2009 to 2016, WMF collaborated with the SBAH to document the site, complete condition surveys, and develop conservation plans. We assisted with the conservation and stabilization of the Lion of Babylon and completed a Site Management Plan, which addresses issues such as site boundaries, areas where future excavations might take place, identifying economic opportunities for local communities, and ways to accommodate tourists effectively at the site.

Another main focus of the project has been assisting the SBAH with the completion of a World Heritage nomination for Babylon. Several workshops were held in 2017 to advance the research and writing necessary for this goal. On July 5, 2019, Babylon was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.

WMF is grateful to numerous donors who have contributed to the conservation, training, and management planning activities for Babylon including the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, the Paul Mellon Estate, the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, the Annenberg Foundation, the J. M. Kaplan Fund, and the Charities Aid Foundation of Canada.

There are also number of related projects in Babylon that is also been profiled in the WMF https://www.wmf.org/project/future-babylon

Did not know this, thanks, :thumbup

Lovin Jesus

Thanks for your articles... I have scanned them but need more time to read them,
But I get discouraged with myself because I'll read one and say 'oh ok' and then read another and think 'that sounds right too.' I get myself so confused!!! :rolleyes2
A lot of different views makes it confusing but this article makes sense for it to be more of a system than a rebuilt city

Waiting......

As for a physical Babylon city, remember that it does not require many of the functions of a conventional city. There do not have to be housing developments, businesses, restaurants or any of the things that we usually see in even small cities. It will be noted for governing and how many buildings will that require? If government is its
sole function, then it could be relatively small and thus rebuilt quickly, even modernizing what is there now.

That answered my question!
This from Jack Kelley's article above would fit with this:

"From my studies, I’ve concluded that with the rise of the anti-Christ the world’s religious, political and economic systems will all be consolidated under one authority, and this authority will be headquartered in Babylon. It will be the Vatican, Mecca, the UN, the stock and commodities markets and the monetary exchanges of the world all rolled up into one."

Back