Refuting Calvinism

Dave123

It is also important to note that the Calvinism that is gaining popularity today in Evangelical circles is called "Neo-Calvinism" or, "New Calvinism." It is Calvinism minus infant baptism. Not only that, but Neo-Calvinism much more "progressive" (liberal) and is very popular with Gen-X and Millennial-aged believers nowadays.

paul289

A potential warning about talking with Calvinists: If you bring up salvation by faith alone through Christ alone and his grace alone, etc., they will agree with you. But things get sneaky because how one defines words frames one's worldview. For instance, the Calvinist will say that salvation is proved by works. As I mentioned earlier with John Piper's comments ("you haven't received it [mercy] if you don't display it"), they believe that works are a necessary result of salvation, and that if the works are absent, you aren't saved. So to them, it's true, you aren't saved by works, but without works, you just aren't saved.

Therefore, we need to be aware of that, and recognize that it's not actually about the works, but about the faith. Faith in God is transformative. Saying a prayer and doing good deeds so that we can go to heaven does nothing. Even pagans do that. Believing in God and having true faith in Jesus lifts the heart and restores the spirit to life, and as a result, we do good deeds. The deeds ARE a result of faith, but they aren't necessary for salvation.

JSTyler

A potential warning about talking with Calvinists: If you bring up salvation by faith alone through Christ alone and his grace alone, etc., they will agree with you. But things get sneaky because how one defines words frames one's worldview. For instance, the Calvinist will say that salvation is proved by works. As I mentioned earlier with John Piper's comments ("you haven't received it [mercy] if you don't display it"), they believe that works are a necessary result of salvation, and that if the works are absent, you aren't saved. So to them, it's true, you aren't saved by works, but without works, you just aren't saved.

Therefore, we need to be aware of that, and recognize that it's not actually about the works, but about the faith. Faith in God is transformative. Saying a prayer and doing good deeds so that we can go to heaven does nothing. Even pagans do that. Believing in God and having true faith in Jesus lifts the heart and restores the spirit to life, and as a result, we do good deeds. The deeds ARE a result of faith, but they aren't necessary for salvation.
Your are 100% correct.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned before in this thread that I refuse to argue with any person that holds any form of calvy, any longer. It's always fruitless and hurts any chance for loving fellowship.

Several still wanna get into it with me and it always starts with, "Doctrine of grace, age of grace..." My obligatory reply is, "Now, which dispensation are we talking about?"
:explode

WORKS. EVERY. TIME.

cheeky200386

Your are 100% correct.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned before in this thread that I refuse to argue with any person that holds any form of calvy, any longer. It's always fruitless and hurts any chance for loving fellowship.

Several still wanna get into it with me and it always starts with, "Doctrine of grace, age of grace..." My obligatory reply is, "Now, which dispensation are we talking about?"
:explode

WORKS. EVERY. TIME.
I love that! I'm going to steal that line.

dseno

I did not mean to post that lol I am having trouble using the website on mobile

I thought it was the opposite. Isn't one of the 5 tenants of calvinism preservation of the saints?

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
Opposite of losing their salvation
Okay, so per my previous question in the , who do you want to meet in Heaven thread ( moved it to here ) , I asked what would you and John Calvin discuss
in Heaven about present day Calvinism and I asked you what is your perception of Calvinism?

dseno

Calvinism (also called the Reformed tradition, Reformed Protestantism, Reformed Christianity,[1] or simply Reformed[2]) is a major branch of Protestantism that follows the theological tradition and forms of Christian practice set down by John Calvin and other Reformation-era theologians. It emphasizes the sovereignty of God and the authority of the Bible.

That is from Wikipedia. That would be my perception of calvinism.

cheeky200386

Calvinism (also called the Reformed tradition, Reformed Protestantism, Reformed Christianity,[1] or simply Reformed[2]) is a major branch of Protestantism that follows the theological tradition and forms of Christian practice set down by John Calvin and other Reformation-era theologians. It emphasizes the sovereignty of God and the authority of the Bible.

That is from Wikipedia. That would be my perception of calvinism.
Yet, they get scripture completely wrong about salvation.

SarahRose

I don’t understand all that much about Calvinism, but I can’t imagine looking at someone who is currently an unbeliever and thinking “well maybe they just aren’t meant to be saved.”

Is that how they see people? If I’m incorrect on this please let me know. That’s just how I understand it and it baffles me