Recovery from Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leigh

Sure! I began dialysis while still in the hospital and continued those sessions for about 3 months after I think? My hemoglobin was at less than 50% so I had blood transfusions, along with plasma therapy.

I have Hashimoto's and mctd, both autoimmune issues. So my body overreacted, no surprise. I continue with steroids and immunosuppressive meds. I don't know if it matters, but while in hospital and for a few weeks out, I also had Remdisvir, which they now think was also contributing to the kidney issues.

Faith and prayer I know have made a massive difference. While my kidneys may remain damaged, that damage is no longer as severe. In hospital I was verging on renal failure. As of now, I am at stage 2, so it's been a huge improvement.
Praying for your kidneys to heal, dear Alisani. I knew there could be long-term effects from Covid, but haven't researched to find out exactly what those effects could be could be. I am so thankful you have gone from near renal failure to stage 2 -- thank You Lord!! (Out of curiosity, how long did you have to be hospitalized? Were you on the vent for very long? I am so sorry you had to go through all that! :hug)

alisani

Praying for your kidneys to heal, dear Alisani. I knew there could be long-term effects from Covid, but haven't researched to find out exactly what those effects could be could be. I am so thankful you have gone from near renal failure to stage 2 -- thank You Lord!! (Out of curiosity, how long did you have to be hospitalized? Were you on the vent for very long? I am so sorry you had to go through all that! :hug)
I want to say a couple of weeks on the ventilator. I went in early May and got released a week before our anniversary in August.

Hey, we made it, that's what counts! All's well that ends well. We were in God's pocket the whole time!

Wings Like Eagles

Sure! I began dialysis while still in the hospital and continued those sessions for about 3 months after I think? My hemoglobin was at less than 50% so I had blood transfusions, along with plasma therapy.

I have Hashimoto's and mctd, both autoimmune issues. So my body overreacted, no surprise. I continue with steroids and immunosuppressive meds. I don't know if it matters, but while in hospital and for a few weeks out, I also had Remdisvir, which they now think was also contributing to the kidney issues.

Faith and prayer I know have made a massive difference. While my kidneys may remain damaged, that damage is no longer as severe. In hospital I was verging on renal failure. As of now, I am at stage 2, so it's been a huge improvement.
Also found to heal and improve kidney function are leafy green vegetables (the darker green, the better--red Swiss chard, in particular, is beneficial), celery (conventionally raised celery has a lot of pesticide residue so you would want to get organic) and especially asparagus (even though it makes urine smell a little funny). Try to eat them without dressing--unless it is just organic butter. Salad dressings are often loaded up with toxins. Most salad dressings contain highly refined seed oils and are inflammatory as well. Swiss chard is particularly tasty plain.

Last edited:

Wings Like Eagles

I want to say a couple of weeks on the ventilator. I went in early May and got released a week before our anniversary in August.

Hey, we made it, that's what counts! All's well that ends well. We were in God's pocket the whole time!
I read an item today about a doctor who has become a Christian after seeing how much his patients improve after being prayed for. Says he knows it is just "anecdotal" but he believes that prayer brought many through what were considered to be "hopeless cases". Glad you are doing so much better!

Andy C

I have read different accounts of those on a ventilator. Can I ask what was that like, or were you in a coma like state? Do you have memories from being on the vent?

Praise the Lord you are recovering, and hopefully a 100 percent recovery.

alisani

I read an item today about a doctor who has become a Christian after seeing how much his patients improve after being prayed for. Says he knows it is just "anecdotal" but he believes that prayer brought many through what were considered to be "hopeless cases". Glad you are doing so much better!
Thank you Wings, I appreciate the well wishes and the good information on healthy eating! You're such a sweetie! :hug

Most of what I post as meals are for the fam. Occasionally I will eat something with an ingredient list that'll make your hair stand on end. But 98% of the time it's a strict anti-inflammatory diet: beans, green and black teas, nuts, avocado, those leafy greens you mentioned, berries, cruciferous veg and fermented foods and fatty fish. I have found many tasty Korean dishes that incorporate a lot of those foods, so there's less of a temptation to eat poorly. Besides, my body feels it when I do.

It is awesome to see that some folks are able to reconcile faith and science! The chaplain came to my room only once when I was settled but the er doc who admitted me came daily. His family came here from Bengal, all doctors, all Christian. He was an incredible comfort to me since the covid wing was locked down and I couldn't see my family.

alisani

I have read different accounts of those on a ventilator. Can I ask what was that like, or were you in a coma like state? Do you have memories from being on the vent?

Praise the Lord you are recovering, and hopefully a 100 percent recovery.
When they intubated me, I was sedated and put in an induced coma. The suctioning hurt awfully, but they gotta get the mucus out. Beyond that I don't remember much. Even when I was awake later, between the many medications, the covid and just being inert, my body hurt and I was weak as water and I was in a real fog. It was about 4 or 5 days until I could hold my head up on my own. I just remember thinking about whether I was going home or HOME, and I had no idea if my husband was ok or not. That was the worst Andy. But after a few more weeks awake I was up, able to do some things for myself and having some VERY uncomfortable equipment detached from various parts of my body. lol After that, my natural stubbornness kicked in. The TV was on in my room and between the news and shows like the View, I was spittin' mad. God and I had many conversations in that grim little room and I remember demanding often that He rebuke ol dirty face. That experience focused me though, as all experiences can when you know God. I also remember rereading the book of Job in my head. Job 8:21 just stayed with me "He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with a shout of joy."

Andy C

When they intubated me, I was sedated and put in an induced coma. The suctioning hurt awfully, but they gotta get the mucus out. Beyond that I don't remember much. Even when I was awake later, between the many medications, the covid and just being inert, my body hurt and I was weak as water and I was in a real fog. It was about 4 or 5 days until I could hold my head up on my own. I just remember thinking about whether I was going home or HOME, and I had no idea if my husband was ok or not. That was the worst Andy. But after a few more weeks awake I was up, able to do some things for myself and having some VERY uncomfortable equipment detached from various parts of my body. lol After that, my natural stubbornness kicked in. The TV was on in my room and between the news and shows like the View, I was spittin' mad. God and I had many conversations in that grim little room and I remember demanding often that He rebuke ol dirty face. That experience focused me though, as all experiences can when you know God. I also remember rereading the book of Job in my head. Job 8:21 just stayed with me "He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with a shout of joy."
Thanks for sharing that. I cant truly imagine how hard that had to of been, but so happy you are on the mend.

Wings Like Eagles

Thank you Wings, I appreciate the well wishes and the good information on healthy eating! You're such a sweetie! :hug

Most of what I post as meals are for the fam. Occasionally I will eat something with an ingredient list that'll make your hair stand on end. But 98% of the time it's a strict anti-inflammatory diet: beans, green and black teas, nuts, avocado, those leafy greens you mentioned, berries, cruciferous veg and fermented foods and fatty fish. I have found many tasty Korean dishes that incorporate a lot of those foods, so there's less of a temptation to eat poorly. Besides, my body feels it when I do.

It is awesome to see that some folks are able to reconcile faith and science! The chaplain came to my room only once when I was settled but the er doc who admitted me came daily. His family came here from Bengal, all doctors, all Christian. He was an incredible comfort to me since the covid wing was locked down and I couldn't see my family.
Sounds like you are eating very well--that will go a long way toward bringing you back to 100%. Wasn't it Hippocrates, the "Father of Medicine" who said, "Let medicine be your food and food be your medicine." :) He, of course, was a pagan but many physicians today are atheists--so it is good that you had a Christian doc. Interestingly, Hippocrates was a keen observer and he had some very advanced understanding of many disease states.

Wings Like Eagles

When I first read that, I thought you were talking about Joy Behar. :D

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
First, I want to thank every single person on here who has been praying for myself and my family during our bout with Covid. Chris was kind enough to let me know that you all were in your prayer closets on our behalf, and it means the world to us. DH caught it from a coworker in May. We were in the ER on my birthday. Eight days later, I joined him there. Both of us had pneumonia and I was on a ventilator. At one point, tests showed two blood clots in my lungs. We had people praying in a mighty way, and two hours later, when they did further tests, the clots were gone. We were blessed to be helped by a tremendous team of doctors and nurses. And when two of our daughters also caught covid, we had family and neighbors there to stand in the gap and take care of them and keep our household running. It's been a long road to recovery. I am thankful that the hospital has established a clinic for those of us who have been diagnosed as long-haulers. My kidneys have been damaged as a result of covid, but due to ongoing treatments, the damage is resolving itself. Too slow for my comfort at times, but considering God's goodness, I can't complain. DH has recovered fully, as have our daughters and my brother-in-law. God protected us completely, even with regards to our finances which, between medical bills, missed work, medicine and this lov-ee-lee inflation, has been no mean feat.

I can see that many on this forum are being impacted by covid-directly and indirectly. I want everyone of you to know that myself and mine and are in constant prayer for you and yours. God's mercies are new every morning and how great is His faithfulness. We will see this through my online family!
alisani, It is so great to have you back with us! You have been missed so much having fellowship with. Sorry you, your husband, and family had to go through this ordeal. Thank You Jesus that God supplied all your needs in these trying times, and he is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. He is a very present help in times of trouble that will never leave us nor forsake us. Thank You for sharing your story with us alisani! We Love You! :bighugJanice Happy New Year 2022 God Bless!

alisani

alisani, It is so great to have you back with us! You have been missed so much having fellowship with. Sorry you, your husband, and family had to go through this ordeal. Thank You Jesus that God supplied all your needs in these trying times, and he is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. He is a very present help in times of trouble that will never leave us nor forsake us. Thank You for sharing your story with us alisani! We Love You! :bighugJanice Happy New Year 2022 God Bless!
Are you trying to make me cry?! lol You're a sweetheart. It's good to be back in the land of the living!

Status
Not open for further replies.