Recommendation for a Bible Commentary?

Narrow Path

Case in point. Our pastors takes no firm stance on end times interpretation, but indirectly teach amillennialism in my opinion. Yesterday, one of them was preaching on Malachi 3 and the two advents, the second advent of course being the second coming. There was no distinction in the sermon that these words regarding that second advent didn't apply to us as we won't be here. References as "He will purify the Levites", "the offerings of Judah and Jerusalem", and "That is why I have not destroyed you members of Jacob’s family" all indicate these passages apply to Jews and nonbelievers. I'd like to have a reliable commentary or two to check and see if I'm interpreting correctly and for the commentary to expound on the passage.

It also makes me wonder how an amillennial perspective might skew teachings on other passages of scripture even when they aren't directly prophetic in nature.

PhilR

One of the dangers of commentaries, whether separate or part of a study Bible, is that you can end up just relying on the commentary more that what the Bible says. So I say, use a good commentary with caution and be a Berean and let the Spirit guide you in your understanding of the Bible.
That said, I think the Scofield Bible and his notes is the best I have found. I don't agree with everything he says, but he stand firmly on salvation by grace alone thru faith alone in Christ alone, and he is firmly pre trib. I would also recommend "Rightly Dividing with Word of Truth" by C. I. Scofield , which was a wonderful blessing to me in understanding God's wonderful message of grace alone.

Last edited:

Armor of Light

Praising my Savior all the day long!
One of the dangers of commentaries, whether separate or part of a study Bible, is that you can end up just relying on the commentary more that what the Bible says. So I say, use a good commentary with caution and be a Berean and let the Spirit guide you in your understanding of the Bible.
That said, I think the Scofield Bible and his notes is the best I have found. I don't agree with everything he says, but he stand firmly on salvation by grace alone thru faith alone in Christ alone, and he is firmly pre trib. I would also recommend "Rightly Dividing with Word of Truth" by C. I. Scofield , which was a wonderful blessing to me in understanding God's wonderful message of grace alone.
Glad you joined us. We have a New Member Meet and Greet page in the Christian Fellowship section of RF, If you stopped by and said hi more members could welcome you to RF.

GotGrace

Welcome. :welcome2

Narrow Path

That is exactly how I approach it. Commentaries from authors who are presumably much more studied on scripture may help fill in some cracks or complete a picture, but it's not authoritative. Filter everything knowing that any commentary is not divinely inspired.

Narrow Path

At the same time, I sometimes wonder how much of that same scrutiny needs to be applied to sermons. Sermons are basically commentaries to some extent. Preaching is a pastor's commentary on what lessons God intended for us to learn from a particular scripture. I really wish more pastors preached in an expository manner and didn't stray too far from the text in their teaching points.

Back