recent Jan Markell show

Emmajw

I was listening to Jan Markell's show, and J.D. Farag was a guest. It was really great, but there was one thing that was discussed that gives me pause. J.D. briefly mentioned how babies were sacrificed during Bible times, to a false god. It was a horrible death, and they were slowly burned alive. I struggle with "why did God not stop this?" Why didn't He destroy the statue before any babies were ever murdered in this way? I have heard it said that Satan rules the world and God does not interfere in certain things, but it is still difficult to understand sometimes when horrible things happen to such innocent and defenseless creatures. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

greg64

I think it all comes down to choice and free will. God told people His standards, and they didn't listen. He told the Israelite's to kill all the inhabitants of the land they were possessing, but they didn't. He told them not to inter-marry, but they did anyway. Instead they assimilated and took on some of the surrounding customs and religions, including this abominable practice. God made clear in scripture what He thought of this, and ultimately both the northern and southern kingdoms paid the price for their rejection of Him and the choices they made. At times God did send people to do things about this and other practices, though -- think of Elijah vs. the prophets of Baal on Mt. Carmel, the fate Jezebel met, how Jehu slaughtered the priests of Baal, etc.

It's hard to wrap my mind around sometimes, but without the element of choice we couldn't choose to love God, and He wouldn't know our love is real. A third of the angels knew God and rebelled anyway. but yet he still chose to create us and then show His grace to us in the most extreme way possible. Yet the choice of what to do with that remains with us.

Cindy S.

I was listening to Jan Markell's show, and J.D. Farag was a guest. It was really great, but there was one thing that was discussed that gives me pause. J.D. briefly mentioned how babies were sacrificed during Bible times, to a false god. It was a horrible death, and they were slowly burned alive. I struggle with "why did God not stop this?" Why didn't He destroy the statue before any babies were ever murdered in this way? I have heard it said that Satan rules the world and God does not interfere in certain things, but it is still difficult to understand sometimes when horrible things happen to such innocent and defenseless creatures. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
A saline abortion is slowly burning alive, too.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Great response, greg64!

Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
Can't add much more to greg64's wise words, but will say if we keep in mind God's character, which is that He is merciful this may be of help. With that in mind, I've often wondered if God, in His mercy, may have taken those little souls back to himself more quickly than what a burning fire may have allowed.

Cindy S.

I think it all comes down to choice and free will. God told people His standards, and they didn't listen. He told the Israelite's to kill all the inhabitants of the land they were possessing, but they didn't. He told them not to inter-marry, but they did anyway. Instead they assimilated and took on some of the surrounding customs and religions, including this abominable practice. God made clear in scripture what He thought of this, and ultimately both the northern and southern kingdoms paid the price for their rejection of Him and the choices they made. At times God did send people to do things about this and other practices, though -- think of Elijah vs. the prophets of Baal on Mt. Carmel, the fate Jezebel met, how Jehu slaughtered the priests of Baal, etc.

It's hard to wrap my mind around sometimes, but without the element of choice we couldn't choose to love God, and He wouldn't know our love is real. A third of the angels knew God and rebelled anyway. but yet he still chose to create us and then show His grace to us in the most extreme way possible. Yet the choice of what to do with that remains with us.
He told Eve not to eat from the tree...

Sowen

I struggle with "why did God not stop this?" Why didn't He destroy the statue before any babies were ever murdered in this way?
God did stop it. He prophesied He would in Genesis 15:16. That's one of the things the Israelites were tasked to do when they entered the Promised Land. Sure, God could have easily stopped it by destroying the statues, but that would not have caused them to actually stop killing the babies. They would've found another way to do it because the problem wasn't sacrificing babies per se; the problem was the condition of their hearts: wicked and rebellious towards God. Sacrificing babies was just a manifestation of that.

Although it wasn't your question, the following is relevant because it deals with God's justice regarding this issue. Some accuse God of being harsh in the Old Testament, but God wasn't and isn't harsh. God is just and that's how He served justice on this side of life for the blood of all those sacrificed babies and for every wicked thing the inhabitants of Canaan did, and they're facing justice for it now as they await in agony for the final justice and judgement for their actions in the things to come.

As an aside, you'd think we would learn from this and not do the same as the inhabitants of Canaan, but we're no better than they were because our hearts are in the same condition as theirs. We murder our children (abortion, abuse), build and worship idols (worship ourselves and other things not God), and commit every abominable act that they did, Leviticus 18. This is basically why we need Jesus.

As for why God allows it, greg64 answered that well, so I'll just append this: Always remember that God is just, and this life is not the end. So, while it may seem like evil is going unaccounted for on this side of life, all the unrepentant will face the consequences of their evil actions when they stand before God on His great white throne for judgement. Revelation 20:11-15

This makes the gospel really good news because all who trust in what God did for our salvation will not be part of the great white throne judgement. Hallelujah!

greg64

God did stop it. He prophesied He would in Genesis 15:16. That's one of the things the Israelites were tasked to do when they entered the Promised Land. Sure, God could have easily stopped it by destroying the statues, but that would not have caused them to actually stop killing the babies. They would've found another way to do it because the problem wasn't sacrificing babies per se; the problem was the condition of their hearts: wicked and rebellious towards God. Sacrificing babies was just a manifestation of that.
I thought about that later this afternoon -- had God toppled or destroyed the statue, they would have likely figured moloch was really mad and needed even more babies. Or invented some other "god" they needed to appease. Anything besides take responsibility for their own sin.

Sowen

I thought about that later this afternoon -- had God toppled or destroyed the statue, they would have likely figured moloch was really mad and needed even more babies. Or invented some other "god" they needed to appease. Anything besides take responsibility for their own sin.
That's a really good thought. I'll remember that when this question inevitably comes up again. Thanks for sharing.

Emmajw

Thank you for your eloquent response. I just couldn’t stand the thoughts of those babies suffering. They did some really evil things back then , sadly just as today.

Emmajw

Great response, greg64!

Can't add much more to greg64's wise words, but will say if we keep in mind God's character, which is that He is merciful this may be of help. With that in mind, I've often wondered if God, in His mercy, may have taken those little souls back to himself more quickly than what a burning fire may have allowed.
I actually thought about this too. I hope so!

Emmajw

Although it wasn't your question, the following is relevant because it deals with God's justice regarding this issue. Some accuse God of being harsh in the Old Testament, but God wasn't and isn't harsh. God is just and that's how He served justice on this side of life for the blood of all those sacrificed babies and for every wicked thing the inhabitants of Canaan did, and they're facing justice for it now as they await in agony for the final justice and judgement for their actions in the things to come.

As an aside, you'd think we would learn from this and not do the same as the inhabitants of Canaan, but we're no better than they were because our hearts are in the same condition as theirs. We murder our children (abortion, abuse), build and worship idols (worship ourselves and other things not God), and commit every abominable act that they did, Leviticus 18. This is basically why we need Jesus.

As for why God allows it, greg64 answered that well, so I'll just append this: Always remember that God is just, and this life is not the end. So, while it may seem like evil is going unaccounted for on this side of life, all the unrepentant will face the consequences of their evil actions when they stand before God on His great white throne for judgement. Revelation 20:11-15

This makes the gospel really good news because all who trust in what God did for our salvation will not be part of the great white throne judgement. Hallelujah!
Thank you. You all are amazing with your answers ! I appreciate your responses.