Race in Siberia sets the record for coldest marathon; Fairbanks, Alaska Connection

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20

Race in Siberia sets the record for coldest marathon​

January 27, 2022
"There's a new marathon record to contend with, but it's got nothing to do with speed. Last weekend, the Yakutia Cold Pole Marathon (ph) in Siberia became the coldest marathon on record. Runners braced against temperatures of negative-63 degrees Fahrenheit as frost coated their brows and eyelashes."
More
https://www.wuga.org/2022-01-27/race-in-siberia-sets-the-record-for-coldest-marathon

Pix in the following article :smile
World’s coldest marathon at blistering minus 53C is complete in Yakutia
January 22, 2022
"Sixty five runners, including sportsmen from the United Arab Emirates, America and Belarus, started the run earlier today at extremely low temperature in Oymyakon, Yakutia’s Pole of Cold.
The international team of men and women ran full distance, half-marathon, and also 10km and 5km.
The winner was Vasily Lukin, teacher from Churapcha Institute of Physical Culture and Sport. This is his second victory in the extreme race; this year he reached the finish line at Tomtor in three hours twenty two minutes. "

"Warmly-dressed residents from Oymyakon and Tomtor stood along the track to cheer on the runners.
This is the third marathon at biting-cold temperatures organised in Yakutia.
This year it was dedicated to the 100th anniversary of Yakutia becoming an autonomous republic within the former Soviet Union, and 80 years of ALSIB air road.
Aircrafts made in the United States were flown from Fairbanks in Alaska to Krasnoyarsk in Siberia, and further west to combat on the Eastern Front of the WWII.

More
https://siberiantimes.com/other/oth...-blistering-minus-53c-is-complete-in-yakutia/

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
When I was younger I ran in temps that cold. It's tricky to get just the right amount of layers so you stay dry and warm both, and the right amount of grease in the right places. I'd be real interested in how they dressed. I'm guessing they had to reapply grease around eyelashes/lips/nose/cheeks every 6 miles or so.