Question

Wings Like Eagles

Edom, which Arnold puts in southern Jordan, will remain a wasteland throughout the Millennium. Babylon is the other area that will be a wasteland and uninhabitable throughout the Millennium.

Throughout the Kingdom period, no man will even so much as pass by the ruins of Babylon, something that is hardly true today. Not only is Babylon to be a desolate wasted throughout the Kingdom, it will also be a place of continual burning and smoke throughout the Millennium, according to Rev 19:3. (Taken from Footsteps pg 504)
Interestingly, geologists have said that the ancient city of Babylon (that Saddam Hussein had ambitions to rebuild) sits on a "lake of asphalt" that, if ignited, would burn for centuries, if not millennia.

Footsteps

Not necessarily and here is 1 reason why

Zech 14:17 If any of the peoples of the earth do not go up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord Almighty, they will have no rain.

However Ezekiel 29 gives cause and effect-- Egypt doesn't help Israel like they promised, so God sends a SWORD. If we look further we see that whatever happens to Egypt, it happens at the end of the Tribulation because after this event they turn to God. The REAL God of the Bible. Not their moon god Allah who hates Jews. And they never again rise to power. They remain a permanent reminder to Israel of the folly of trusting in Egypt.

As Tall Timbers mentions, there are definitely smoking ruins present during the entire Millennium. And there is the mention of the Tower of Syene. That is the ASWAN dam area.

That tower of Syene is VERY significant. It is mentioned twice. the NIV will call it ASWAN but the area is the Aswan dam and the TOWER of SYENE wasn't built till 1970. It is mentioned twice, in Ezek 29 and again in Ezek 30. Look in the KJV to see the tower of Syene. It is called the Lotus Tower and the 5 petals at the top are in honor of the 5 pillars of Islam. It stands as a testament to Egypt's gratefulness to Russia in the building of the Aswan dam.

I suggest a third possibility and that is that during the Tribulation period, the Antichrist comes against Egypt. The disaster happens-- the Nile is dried up as a result, and Egyptians are scattered around the globe as refugees for 40 years.

The wording of this passage and again in Ezek 30 are THE DAY OF THE LORD - Ezek 30 v 3 and in Chapter 29 here, we can see it is a time when Israel turned to Egypt and once again wasn't helped by Egypt. But it's just before Egypt knows GOD. Since Israel will only look to GOD for help from the moment they call to Jesus at the end of the Trib, this places these 2 passages right in the Tribulation period in the second half since that is the only time when Egypt could help Israel and doesn't and right after this desolation, Egypt is permanently knowing God and weakened forever as a sign to Israel of their past foolishness in trusting Egypt.

Why the second half, not the first? Because in the first half Israel has a covenant with the Antichrist. Israel doesn't need Egypt's help. But after the Abomination of Desolation, Israel will realize the DISASTER she has brought on herself by trusting the AC, and will look for help elsewhere. Egypt is her current friend and likely to remain so. But they fail Israel again-- according to Chapter 29 vs 6 and 7. It isn't till the END of the Tribulation that Israel turns to Jesus for help.

Here is the passage in Ezek 29:1-16: I will BOLD some bits that I want to take a close look at and pay SPECIAL attention to the Then and Therefore wording.

29 In the tenth year, in the tenth month, on the twelfth day of the month, the word of the Lord came to me, saying, 2 “Son of man, set your face against Pharaoh king of Egypt, and prophesy against him, and against all Egypt. 3 Speak, and say, ‘Thus says the Lord God:

“Behold, I am against you,
O Pharaoh king of Egypt,
O great monster who lies in the midst of his rivers,
Who has said, ‘My River is my own;
I have made it for myself.’
4 But I will put hooks in your jaws,
And cause the fish of your rivers to stick to your scales;
I will bring you up out of the midst of your rivers,
And all the fish in your rivers will stick to your scales.
5 I will leave you in the wilderness,
You and all the fish of your rivers;
You shall fall on the open field;
You shall not be picked up or gathered.
I have given you as food
To the beasts of the field
And to the birds of the heavens.

6 “Then all the inhabitants of Egypt
Shall know that I am the Lord,

Because they have been a staff of reed to the house of Israel.
7 When they took hold of you with the hand,
You broke and tore all their shoulders;
When they leaned on you,
You broke and made all their backs quiver.”

8 ‘Therefore thus says the Lord God: “Surely I will bring a sword upon you and cut off from you man and beast. 9 And the land of Egypt shall become desolate and waste; then they will know that I am the Lord, because he said, ‘The River is mine, and I have made it.’ 10 Indeed, therefore, I am against you and against your rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from Migdol to Syene, as far as the border of Ethiopia. 11 Neither foot of man shall pass through it nor foot of beast pass through it, and it shall be uninhabited forty years. 12 I will make the land of Egypt desolate in the midst of the countries that are desolate; and among the cities that are laid waste, her cities shall be desolate forty years; and I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations and disperse them throughout the countries.”

13 ‘Yet, thus says the Lord God: “At the end of forty years I will gather the Egyptians from the peoples among whom they were scattered. 14 I will bring back the captives of Egypt and cause them to return to the land of Pathros, to the land of their origin, and there they shall be a lowly kingdom. 15 It shall be the lowliest of kingdoms; it shall never again exalt itself above the nations, for I will diminish them so that they will not rule over the nations anymore. 16 No longer shall it be the confidence of the house of Israel, but will remind them of their iniquity when they turned to follow them. Then they shall know that I am the Lord God.” ’ ”

Margery again here-- Notice what God says in Vs 6, 9 and 16. THREE TIMES God repeats the same thing. THEN they will know that I am the LORD, the Sovereign LORD. Right now they believe in Allah-- that is NOT God, that is the moon god and it's an entity that hates the Jews according to the Koran. So we know who THAT is. Egypt has to turn from that, TO GOD which can only be in the millennial reign of Christ.

So this passage can only be in the late Tribulation period -- notice that God also says in V 8 that HE brings a sword against Egypt to kill man and beast. Egypt is desolate as a result. V12 explains the 40 year aftermath of this war.

This passage also explains WHY this destruction happens in Verse 6 and 7. Israel has a bad habit of leaning on Egypt. Back in Jeremiah's day they trusted Egypt to get away from Babylon's power only to have Egypt break in the face of superior Babylonian strength. Patterns in the Bible are also considered prophetic. The last half of Ezekiel 29 refers to this problem with Babylon and Egypt. Chapter 30 goes back to discussing the destruction and mentions the TOWER OF SYENE AGAIN.

I suggest that the Tower of Syene is important for 2 reasons. If the AC wanted to devastate Egypt, blow up the dam. The resulting flood and drought would destroy Egypt's strength and the refugees would flee. Doesn't even have to be nuclear weapons but the way the dam is constructed, it would take an awful lot of energy to blow it up so nukes might be a possibility. Second reason this tower is important is that it ties both Chap 29 and 30 together as the same event.

Go to Ezek 30:1-8

30 The word of the Lord came to me again, saying, 2 “Son of man, prophesy and say, ‘Thus says the Lord God:

“Wail, ‘Woe to the day!’
3 For the day is near,
Even the day of the Lord is near;
It will be a day of clouds, the time of the Gentiles.
4 The sword shall come upon Egypt,

And great anguish shall be in Ethiopia,
When the slain fall in Egypt,
And they take away her wealth,
And her foundations are broken down.

5 “Ethiopia, Libya, Lydia, all the mingled people, Chub, and the men of the lands who are allied, shall fall with them by the sword.”

6 ‘Thus says the Lord:

“Those who uphold Egypt shall fall,
And the pride of her power shall come down.
From Migdol to Syene
Those within her shall fall by the sword,”
Says the Lord God.

7 “They shall be desolate in the midst of the desolate countries,
And her cities shall be in the midst of the cities that are laid waste.
8 Then they will know that I am the Lord,
When I have set a fire in Egypt
And all her helpers are destroyed

9 On that day messengers shall go forth from Me in ships
To make the careless Ethiopians afraid,
And great anguish shall come upon them,
As on the day of Egypt;
For indeed it is coming!”

This part is in the Tribulation because verse 3 talks about the DAY OF THE LORD which is a term for the time of Jacob's Trouble or the Tribulation period.

The scene shifts a bit after this passage, and goes back in time to Babylon and Nebuchadnezzer. But remember that they are also a type of the Antichrist and Babylon to come. And patterns in the past get repeated prophetically as they point to future events.

Again the tower of Syene is referenced. This tower was built -- the only tower of note in the area, AFTER the Aswan dam was built in 1970. If you look up the Hebrew version of the Ezek 29 and 30 the word TOWER is there. KJV says it tower, correctly while other versions will call it Syene or Aswan. But the Hebrew, it is the Tower of Syene.

Here is part of an article written by Gary Stearman some years ago
"From several sources, it is quite easy to confirm that the biblical Syene is really Aswan. One of these is the Keil & Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament, first published in 1866. It affirms the connection, from the Greek Septuagint: “[Suhnh], Syene, in the inscriptions according to Brugsch [was] the most southerly border town of Egypt in the direction of Cush, i.e. Ethiopia, on the eastern bank of the Nile, some ruins of which are still to be seen in the modern Assuan (Aswan) …” (Vol. 9, Ezekiel 29-48, p. 8).

When Keil and Delitzsch wrote their commentary in 1866, there was not a trace of the prophesied tower at Aswan. And when Ezekiel wrote his prophecy around 570 B.C., there was no tower. In fact, until the huge hydroelectric project was completed there, by the Russians and Egyptians in 1970, there was no tower at Aswan. Today, this dam is the most imposing feature of the area.... "

So I suggest that sometime after Israel wakes up to the deadly purpose of the Antichrist-- halfway thru the Tribulation, she turns to Egypt for help and is betrayed. God in turn allows the AC to attack Egypt and devastate the land from the Aswan Dam north to the mouth of the Nile river in the Med. Egypt is devastated for 40 years. After that time her refugees make their way back.

In Chapter 30 God sends FIRE on Egypt. In Chapter 29 it is a sword. The idea that a dam this size needs a nuke to destroy it isn't out of the realm of possibility so what kind of fire God sends, we don't know but looking at 29 and 30 together, a nuclear attack looks probable at least if the Tribulation is on the near horizon.

Egypt is permanently weakened and never rises to power again.

Egypt Trusts in GOD from this time forward. The REAL God. Not Allah.

And Egypt remains a signpost to Israel thru the Millennium to remember how they trusted in Egypt and were let down every single time.
Egypt to this day continues to "distinguish" itself through chronic massacres of Coptic Christians, one such event occurring about a week ago.

Wings Like Eagles

Egypt to this day continues to "distinguish" itself through chronic massacres of Coptic Christians, one such event occurring about a week ago.
Coptic Christians in Egypt have suffered persecution from Muslims, for centuries. Northern Africa used to be Christian until the Muslims moved in. They will be the largest religious group in Europe soon. What do you think will happen to Christian and Jewish minorities then? Jews in Europe have already made aliyah to Israel or are planning to soon. They can see the handwriting on the wall. There is no place where Christians can go to be safe, going into the future.