Question on Bible Teacher

ninicat

Looking for a study guide on book of Isaiah and found one by Warren Weirsbe. Is he a sound teacher? My Bible study teacher used to quote him all the time. shes Presbyterian, Calvinist leaning but a solid teacher.

BTW, I saw one by Brian Simmons and it had The Passion translation. Never heard of it or him. I searched his name on here and read that he’s a false NAR teacher. Usually when a Bible study has a five star rating with 365 reviews and they all go on about how fabulous this translation is, I get suspicious. glad to have discernment on this board and forum!
Thanks, Janice

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I have read some of the late Weirsbe's work and he is very good and very solid in my opinion (He's been around a long time). He is not a Calvinist, you can check the following link for a little more info on some of his quotes on atonement which are on point. Jesus did die for the sins of the whole world!
http://gulfcoastpastor.blogspot.com/2019/05/warren-wiersbe-on-calvinism-unlimited.html

The Passion "translation" is no good, I would stay away from it. I would compare it to the "Message." Too much interpretation is inserted by the author to support their own doctrine (NAR).
https://bereanresearch.org/new-nar-passion-bible-a-dangerous-heresy/

RonJohnSilver

Warren Wiersbe, who passed away a few months ago, is a solid teacher. He wrote commentaries on all books of the Bible, each labeled with a 'Be' prefix....Be Prepared, Be Thankful, etc. Each of those is about 14$. Or you can get all of those single commentaries in a single volume for Old Testament and another for NT. Usually each is about 50$. You'll need to order them online unless you happen to have a Christian bookstore in your area. Get any of his writings at either Lifeway.com or Christianbooks.com. I teach in my Baptist church and use him a lot. I have heard that he has calvinist beliefs but, frankly, I couldn't tell from him writings. Unless someone has told me, I never would have known it.

athenasius

He is a great Bible teacher. Often used in Baptist churches.

Here are 3 of his quotes, taken from that site mentioned by @greg64 above so everyone can read http://gulfcoastpastor.blogspot.com/2019/05/warren-wiersbe-on-calvinism-unlimited.html on these KEY passages which make it QUITE clear he is NOT a 5 point or TULIP Calvinist. And like the others above, whatever I've read from him is good, and I highly doubt he is any kind of Calvinist at all.

Calvinists of the 5 point or TULIP variety insist on what they call Irresistible Grace meaning that God chooses a select few and calls them alone, ignoring the fact that Christ died for all. As if there were a chosen few predestined in an arbitrary lottery system back in Eternity past! That is NOT what the Bible says.

John 3:16 For God so loved the WORLD that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:16
“God sent His Son to die, not only for Israel, but for a whole world.”
He has salvation for a whole world.” -Warren Wiersbe

2 Corinthians 5:15-17
“Because ‘all things are become new,’ we also have a new view of people around us. We see them as sinners for whom Christ died.” -Warren Wiersbe

1 Timothy 4
The title ‘Saviour of all men’ does not imply that everybody will be saved (universalism), or that God saves people in spite of themselves; for Paul added ‘specially of those that believe.’ It is faith that saves one’s soul (Ephesians 2:8-10). Since God ‘will have all men to be saved (1 Timothy 2:4), and since Christ ‘gave Himself a ransom for all (1 Timothy 2:6), then any lost sinner can trust Christ and be saved. Christ is ‘the Saviour of all men,’ so nobody need despair.” -Warren Wiersbe

Back