Question of wars, battles, and timing

athenasius

Oh - so why do I think I say Isaiah 17 is for today?

timeline remembering BC dates count towards zero and AD counts away from zero.

700 BC Isaiah prophesied that Damascus would destroyed.

32 years go by and

732 BC the Assyrians came through and destroyed much of the city but still left people in it, and it remained the oldest continuously inhabited city on earth to this day.

ok so maybe

BUT THEN 98 years go by till Jeremiah is born and a few more years pass till he’s writing Jeremiah 49 well over 100 years AFTER the date that people conside as the nearest thing to destruction that Damascus has yet endured.

630-580 BC Jeremiah exists and he wrote about the destruction of Damascus in his 49th chapter.

The passages are very very similar- Jeremiah adds some details but 2 peas in a pod for similarity.

We really need to ask why God would give 2 prophets similar visions of the destruction of Damascus on EITHER SIDE OF THE EVENT unless they are BOTH talking about a future COMPLETE destruction. Especially if the people of Jeremiah’s day would laugh about it as old news.

If Isaiah 17 is a dual fulfillment the Assyrian conquest would be an early partial fulfillment certainly with a future complete destruction that BOTH prophets spoke of.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for your patient explanations! I absolutely love studying and have been learning as much as I can since 1992, but I definitely do not grasp it as thoroughly as many on RF do! I get the "gist" of the historical and geopolitical parts of the war prophecies. I understand Ez 38 the best. I read the links Chris put up. I had a few questions but cant quite recall right now! But lately, I'm just not as certain about Is 17, Zeph, Jer 49. Some of the few trusted pastors I read and listen to have very good reasons for thinking Is. 17 was already fulfilled... and because I'm not a history expert, it leaves me with complete uncertainty as to what God actually means. Howcam I to know which prophecies are dual fulfillment??

...Here we are in the last few moments of the Church Age, seeing everything fall into place, and all my preconceived understanding isnt so solid anymore. So many differing views on every war prophecy. Why isn't it more obvious even as the dominos are being set up? Perhaps my long held expectations are also letting me down. For years, I really thought I understood Is. 17 just as you explain, but now I dont know. Like the original poster wondered, I thought it was a good possibility we'd see several of these wars happen in quick succession, leading up to Ez. 38.
And I know it's also a good possibility that the "author of confusion" is trying to trip me lately. I'm not even sure if it's appropriate to express the struggle to understand here on RF because I certainly dont want to be a stumbling block to anyone. The rapture, Ez 38, and Israel regathered, are all I'm confident I understand. But I assumed prophecy would become much easier to understand as the day approaches.

My suggestion is to not overly worry about all of this. We are ALL going to be surprised how things play out. NONE of us have ALL of this figured out. Only God know EXACTLY how EVERYTHING will play out.

You can go back and forth on all the different viewpoints until you are dizzy and fall down. :faint

Maybe instead of worrying about getting ALL of this right, just accept that everything will work out just as God says it will. Some people spend so much time trying to figure out EVERYTHING about prophecy, that when they get to the end of their learning only to look back and do it all over again. :doh

Some people are so worried about what they are eating for dinner, what they did today, what car they are driving, the cares of this world, being right about this and that topic, that they never do anything to further the Gospel of the Kingdom. I'd worry less about being RIGHT about everything and carry out the Great Commission like the Lord asked us to do. People are dying right and left, many are entering eternity without Jesus. Some people only care about the world and never care about making a meaning impact for the Kingdom. They do very little to nothing to share Jesus with other people.

Go share Jesus with people and study when you can on prophecy. Don't let it consume you. Don't let it give you an unstable mind on having to be right about EVERY little detail of prophecy. Even the so called EXPERTS do not agree on everything.

Tell people abut Jesus and be a light in a dark world!

God bless you.

Jaybird

Oh - so why do I think I say Isaiah 17 is for today?

timeline remembering BC dates count towards zero and AD counts away from zero.

700 BC Isaiah prophesied that Damascus would destroyed.

32 years go by and

732 BC the Assyrians came through and destroyed much of the city but still left people in it, and it remained the oldest continuously inhabited city on earth to this day.

ok so maybe

BUT THEN 98 years go by till Jeremiah is born and a few more years pass till he’s writing Jeremiah 49 well over 100 years AFTER the date that people conside as the nearest thing to destruction that Damascus has yet endured.

630-580 BC Jeremiah exists and he wrote about the destruction of Damascus in his 49th chapter.

The passages are very very similar- Jeremiah adds some details but 2 peas in a pod for similarity.

We really need to ask why God would give 2 prophets similar visions of the destruction of Damascus on EITHER SIDE OF THE EVENT unless they are BOTH talking about a future COMPLETE destruction. Especially if the people of Jeremiah’s day would laugh about it as old news.

If Isaiah 17 is a dual fulfillment the Assyrian conquest would be an early partial fulfillment certainly with a future complete destruction that BOTH prophets spoke of.
Athenasius - thanks for the long posts - lots of good information there. I think Chris hit the nail on the head. We are all speculating on how all these events will pan out as we aren't given the details. It's interesting to try and put the puzzle pieces together, but in the end it will work out as God has determined in his most perfect will and our getting this correct is not really that important in the big scheme of things.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Something occurred to me.

If the US and China engage, there will be little left of each other including much of the east asia sphere. With the Himalayas as a buffer from the fall out, that leaves India as the big player from the east, along with the "Stans. That's a lot of hindu and muslim.... or maybe mostly muslim with an interest in J'elem.

So many ways to get there. I'm sure what God has planned no man can conceive.

But the greatest war is that which is within. Pride and self are tenacious and often unforgiving.

But the power of grace in Jesus can overcome all if we just ask for help. He can do what we cannot.

Back