Question/Move

Erin

I read the post about the site being moved or more security or something, I couldn't ask there...so I'm asking here.
Chris just posted it, will it be an actual move or just some kind of technical thing. I just don't wanna sign on one day and it say the site doesn't exist. .lol

Almost Heaven

I read the post about the site being moved or more security or something, I couldn't ask there...so I'm asking here.
Chris just posted it, will it be an actual move or just some kind of technical thing. I just don't wanna sign on one day and it say the site doesn't exist. .lol
Technical issues. The only thing you may notice is you might not be able to log in for a short period of time. We have been through many moves. If you are unable to sign in just wait awhile and try again.

greg64

Sorry, forgive me. That doesn't mean a new address just problems logging in?
It would still be raptureforums.com. This might be a little technical, but hopefully it will help explain what happens and why the site could be unavailable for a bit. What happens with a server move is that the ip address usually changes. There's a protocol called DNS (domain name system) that translates user friendly names (like raptureforums.com) to numerical addresses computers can understand and access (like 50.28.17.216, the current rf ip address). Somewhere there's a server that's in charge of (authoritative for) that particular lookup. When your computer wants to access the forums, it sends a query to its name server, which in turn queries other name servers until the correct one is asked for the address, which is then passed back and your browser makes the connection. If it had to do that every time, though, the amount of traffic would be overwhelming. So each time it does a lookup like this, the result is valid for period of time (usually a few hours, but it will vary based on how the various dns servers are configured). That way, your computer will know where to go without having to stop and ask for directions each time. When the server ip address changes, the raptureforums.com name is changed to point to the new address, but it can take a while for that change to ripple out (propagate) and make it to your computer. Usually that's just a couple of hours, but it could be as much as a day. It's kind of variable as there are a ton of factors involved, so you may login and find others have been on for hours, or you may be able to access while others are still having problems. There are things dns providers can do to shorten the time involved with a change, but I have no idea if the hosting service Chris uses does those or not, as this isn't exactly a critical service that can't afford to be down for more than a few seconds.

Probably way more than you wanted, but hopefully it helps with background on why there could be temporary issues but when all is said and done nothing will change in how you get to the site -- all the changes are in the background and transparent to us.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, we have done several moves over the years. At about 11pm CST tonight and maybe a tad earlier or later depending on the hosting providers workload, they will take the final transfer of RF off the old server and move it to the new server. I confirmed this morning that or TTLs (time to live) have been lowered for the move. So tonight when the site is going to be moved we will experience a little bit of an issue where some people may still see the site on the old server until the new IP address has been picked up by the main Internet providers. Some update very wuickly and some don’t. What I mean by that is that some have records that are update like within an hour and then some might only update only once every six, twelve hours so while most everyone will be able to visit the new site right away for some there maybe a slight delay of up to 12-24 hours. Some will end up posting on the old site and then when the new one comes up their posts are gone because they are back on the old server. :lol

However, when 11pm CST comes the site will be moved to the new server for the final time. The IP address will change but I believe if I remember correctly is just the last three numbers that changed.

I hope that helps some. I’m sorry for any problems this may cause you. It is only a short temporary thing.

Erin

It would still be raptureforums.com. This might be a little technical, but hopefully it will help explain what happens and why the site could be unavailable for a bit. What happens with a server move is that the ip address usually changes. There's a protocol called DNS (domain name system) that translates user friendly names (like raptureforums.com) to numerical addresses computers can understand and access (like 50.28.17.216, the current rf ip address). Somewhere there's a server that's in charge of (authoritative for) that particular lookup. When your computer wants to access the forums, it sends a query to its name server, which in turn queries other name servers until the correct one is asked for the address, which is then passed back and your browser makes the connection. If it had to do that every time, though, the amount of traffic would be overwhelming. So each time it does a lookup like this, the result is valid for period of time (usually a few hours, but it will vary based on how the various dns servers are configured). That way, your computer will know where to go without having to stop and ask for directions each time. When the server ip address changes, the raptureforums.com name is changed to point to the new address, but it can take a while for that change to ripple out (propagate) and make it to your computer. Usually that's just a couple of hours, but it could be as much as a day. It's kind of variable as there are a ton of factors involved, so you may login and find others have been on for hours, or you may be able to access while others are still having problems. There are things dns providers can do to shorten the time involved with a change, but I have no idea if the hosting service Chris uses does those or not, as this isn't exactly a critical service that can't afford to be down for more than a few seconds.

Probably way more than you wanted, but hopefully it helps with background on why there could be temporary issues but when all is said and done nothing will change in how you get to the site -- all the changes are in the background and transparent to us.
Actually, that was a wonderful answer! And now I won't worry that the site will be gone, thank you!

Erin

Yes, we have done several moves over the years. At about 11pm CST tonight and maybe a tad earlier or later depending on the hosting providers workload, they will take the final transfer of RF off the old server and move it to the new server. I confirmed this morning that or TTLs (time to live) have been lowered for the move. So tonight when the site is going to be moved we will experience a little bit of an issue where some people may still see the site on the old server until the new IP address has been picked up by the main Internet providers. Some update very wuickly and some don’t. What I mean by that is that some have records that are update like within an hour and then some might only update only once every six, twelve hours so while most everyone will be able to visit the new site right away for some there maybe a slight delay of up to 12-24 hours. Some will end up posting on the old site and then when the new one comes up their posts are gone because they are back on the old server. :lol

However, when 11pm CST comes the site will be moved to the new server for the final time. The IP address will change but I believe if I remember correctly is just the last three numbers that changed.

I hope that helps some. I’m sorry for any problems this may cause you. It is only a short temporary thing.
Yes, and I apologize for any trouble I caused you! I can be slow some times...:oops:

Andy C

:eek::dilbert:eek: