Question for Bible scholars

depserv

I read a post on CNS news that I found interesting, and I want to know if anyone here knows anything about this:

"I read the Dead Sea Scrolls and of the two theories, I accept the one where the scrolls were taken out of Jerusalem.
I read and studied the oldest book known to mankind. Written 1000 years before any scrap of any bible, in any religion, ever existed. It was written around 2500 BC in the town of Uruk, in what is now Iraq, about a king whose existence has been well documented. It was written in Sumerian and translated in the 19th century. It's called the Epic of Gilgamesh and proves, to me, that all religions are man made!! He built an arc long before Noah's great, great, great, great, grandfather was born.
My God, whatever his, her, or it's name is, lives within me and doesn't need any burning bushes, 72 virgins, commandments, or heaven made of jewels and gold.
Oh, Gilgamesh parted the waters also. But he did it by damming up the river to bury his best friend, Enkudu. It only takes 2 hours to read the entire epic and it seems no one out there has 2 free hours. Heck, today there are youtube
videos."

This looks like another deceitful attempt to discredit the Bible, but I don't know where the deception is. I've seen and heard the argument made a few times and do not have enough knowledge to have made an adequate response. Does anyone here know anything about it?

Micki

MARANATHA!!
I'm not a scholar, but I can say this...there was a flood. People who worship idols will never write a Biblical account of anything. It's a matter of choosing which account you will believe, because He proves Himself over and over again, especially by telling the end from the beginning, I choose to believe Yahveh and the Biblical account of the flood.

What is the Epic of Gilgamesh? What relation does it have with the biblical Flood?

What similarities are there between the Gilgamesh flood account and the biblical flood account?

araj54

Remember a few year ago when they found a tomb in Israel with bones in it and supposedly the name of Jesus on it, or some such nonsense. That story was on every internet news site, front and center. Thankfully it only took Jewish scholars a day or two to debunk it.

If they ever found any concrete evidence of any significant errors in the bible I can guarantee you it would be the lead story on every liberal news outlet for days.
But of course we know that won't happen. Just the opposite is happening, in that the more research that is done the more the bible is proven to be accurate, but that doesn't stop satan's minions from fabricating false "evidence" and sadly many people are deceived into believing it. The father of lies will never give up until he is finally locked away for good.

depserv

I'm not a scholar, but I can say this...there was a flood. People who worship idols will never write a Biblical account of anything. It's a matter of choosing which account you will believe, because He proves Himself over and over again, especially by telling the end from the beginning, I choose to believe Yahveh and the Biblical account of the flood.

What is the Epic of Gilgamesh? What relation does it have with the biblical Flood?

What similarities are there between the Gilgamesh flood account and the biblical flood account?
Thanks for the response and links; very good information on them, and something I should have thought of myself: just because one wrote about an event before another does not mean that one copied the other.

depserv

Remember a few year ago when they found a tomb in Israel with bones in it and supposedly the name of Jesus on it, or some such nonsense. That story was on every internet news site, front and center. Thankfully it only took Jewish scholars a day or two to debunk it.

If they ever found any concrete evidence of any significant errors in the bible I can guarantee you it would be the lead story on every liberal news outlet for days.
But of course we know that won't happen. Just the opposite is happening, in that the more research that is done the more the bible is proven to be accurate, but that doesn't stop satan's minions from fabricating false "evidence" and sadly many people are deceived into believing it. The father of lies will never give up until he is finally locked away for good.
Thanks for the reply. I agree that anything casting doubt on God's Word would be all over the liberal press, which looks to me like a faithful servant of the god of this world.

Lauralai

Nimrod is also called Gilgamesh. This is from an article I am reading today on the Nephillim. It's interesting.

< mod edit >

Here is a link. I hope it's ok to post this.

< mod edit - sorry, that site is not pre-Trib, please see if you can find that info elsewhere :thumbup >

Last edited by a moderator:

iSong6:3

I read a post on CNS news that I found interesting, and I want to know if anyone here knows anything about this:

"I read the Dead Sea Scrolls and of the two theories, I accept the one where the scrolls were taken out of Jerusalem.
I read and studied the oldest book known to mankind. Written 1000 years before any scrap of any bible, in any religion, ever existed. It was written around 2500 BC in the town of Uruk, in what is now Iraq, about a king whose existence has been well documented. It was written in Sumerian and translated in the 19th century. It's called the Epic of Gilgamesh and proves, to me, that all religions are man made!! He built an arc long before Noah's great, great, great, great, grandfather was born.
My God, whatever his, her, or it's name is, lives within me and doesn't need any burning bushes, 72 virgins, commandments, or heaven made of jewels and gold.
Oh, Gilgamesh parted the waters also. But he did it by damming up the river to bury his best friend, Enkudu. It only takes 2 hours to read the entire epic and it seems no one out there has 2 free hours. Heck, today there are youtube
videos."

This looks like another deceitful attempt to discredit the Bible, but I don't know where the deception is. I've seen and heard the argument made a few times and do not have enough knowledge to have made an adequate response. Does anyone here know anything about it?
Please provide a link for this quotation. :hat:

Lauralai

Nimrod is also called Gilgamesh. This is from an article I am reading today on the Nephillim. It's interesting.

< mod edit >

Here is a link. I hope it's ok to post this.

< mod edit - sorry, that site is not pre-Trib, please see if you can find that info elsewhere :thumbup >
OH, gosh thank you for telling me.

Elijah's Mantle

:thinking:
Genesis 10:9 gives the missing part of the Gilgamesh tablet most likely

christiananswers.net has a good read on it

Last edited: