Question: Could Yellowstone National Park be.... the bottomless pit?

YeuEmMaiMai

We all know that YNP is a Super Volcano ready to burst at any time and could do what is described here:

Revelation 9:1-21
And the fifth angel blew his trumpet, and I saw a star fallen from heaven to earth, and he was given the key to the shaft of the bottomless pit. He opened the shaft of the bottomless pit, and from the shaft rose smoke like the smoke of a great furnace, and the sun and the air were darkened with the smoke from the shaft. Then from the smoke came locusts on the earth, and they were given power like the power of scorpions of the earth. They were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any green plant or any tree, but only those people who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads. They were allowed to torment them for five months, but not to kill them, and their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it stings someone. ...

any thoughts?

Andrew

Well known member
Yellowstone is only one of many calderas around the world, albeit perhaps the most famous. Neither is it the only megacaldera. When volcanos erupt, the vegetation is also devastated. Consequently, this is not speaking about a volcanic eruption.

pixelpusher

Helen said:
Here's another thought -- suppose that sort of thing happened at the moment of the Rapture? No one would associate us being gone with anything supernatural, and the stage would be set (not that it already isn't).

I've wondered along the same lines, if there won't be some kind of "covering event", a ninja smokescreen if you will, surrounding the Rapture. EMP, super eruption, some kind of solar blast, etc.

Course, I also see the possibilities for "our alien brothers removed the ones who were holding back humanities evolution into the age of aquarius" type explanations also.

greg64

Course, I also see the possibilities for "our alien brothers removed the ones who were holding back humanities evolution into the age of aquarius" type explanations also.

That's one of my guesses about how the evil one tries to spin it.

I don't favor Yellowstone going off at that moment because while I think God means for the timing to be a secret, it doesn't seem in His character for the actual event to be a secret. By that I mean that it will be without specific advance warning, but I think God will want the world to notice so that those left behind who can see will have their eyes opened -- another chance for them to belatedly come to Christ with all the glory to God.

athenasius

I was interested by something which said they discovered Yellowstone is even weirder than originally thought. Molten carbon???? Here is the link http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/02/16/vast-lake-molten-carbon-discovered-under-western-us.html

but what implications that holds is puzzling. Barry and Helen might have something to say about it.

I was thinking more on the lines of "well now what about all that carbon we are supposed to quit emitting"!!!! I mean even if Pope Francis shut his pie hole and quit bloviating altogether and David Suzuki and other environmentalists quit using their beloved SUVs and jetting around the planet emitting more carbon than us peasants do in a LIFETIME, it still won't make a dint if that little pile of molten carbon decides it's time to burp!

I want a refund on my carbon tax!

athenasius

While I agree with Andrew regarding its application to the verses in Revelation, I have wondered about Yellowstone. The ground has been rising, indicating pressure in the magma plume and chamber(s). It Yellowstone goes, it would set off not only San Andreas and the Cascadia faults, but also the eastern New Madrid fault. That combination would take the United States entirely out of the picture regarding any future world events.

Here's another thought -- suppose that sort of thing happened at the moment of the Rapture? No one would associate us being gone with anything supernatural, and the stage would be set (not that it already isn't).
Helen what are the implications of all that molten carbon under there they just realized existed? http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/02/16/vast-lake-molten-carbon-discovered-under-western-us.html

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
We all know that YNP is a Super Volcano ready to burst at any time and could do what is described here:

Revelation 9:1-21
And the fifth angel blew his trumpet, and I saw a star fallen from heaven to earth, and he was given the key to the shaft of the bottomless pit. He opened the shaft of the bottomless pit, and from the shaft rose smoke like the smoke of a great furnace, and the sun and the air were darkened with the smoke from the shaft. Then from the smoke came locusts on the earth, and they were given power like the power of scorpions of the earth. They were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any green plant or any tree, but only those people who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads. They were allowed to torment them for five months, but not to kill them, and their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it stings someone. ...

any thoughts?
I have to think about what you are trying say and what you are making a connection with.:thinking:nukes:rapture:spirit:rapture.........:woohoo:cloud9 ...sounds good to me.:thumbup

God bless you,
your brother in Christ,
Albert R.:pizza

Last edited:

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
I saw a documentary once that said if Yellowstone goes off it could cause a nuclear winter, due to the sheer volume of ash it would release, and it could certainly set of a chain reaction leading to a lot of earthquakes and maybe set of other super volcanoes. I have no idea if it was junk science or not. Barry and Helen should know.

I don't think it's the pit unless God sets it off but supernaturally intervenes to prevent the pyroclastic flow from harming anything. In which case it might be. But there are, as others have said, other mega-volcanoes that fit the job description too if that's the case. Yellowstone just happens to be the most famous one.

Endangered

Molten lava is amazing and also very frightening at the same time. The lava is hot enough to melt rock. Lava is so hot that anything living that is caught is incinerated. A rabbit caught in a lava flow would be burned so thoroughly that the rabbit would be reduced to atoms. No bones or skin - nothing left but atoms.
I believe Yellowstone may play some role in End Times. An eruption would devastate not only the US but a great deal of the world. Perhaps the ash from an eruption contributes to the blackouts of Revelation. Yellowstone could trigger quakes along the San Andrews and the New Madrid faults.

sara ann

I was interested by something which said they discovered Yellowstone is even weirder than originally thought. Molten carbon???? Here is the link http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/02/16/vast-lake-molten-carbon-discovered-under-western-us.html

but what implications that holds is puzzling. Barry and Helen might have something to say about it.

I was thinking more on the lines of "well now what about all that carbon we are supposed to quit emitting"!!!! I mean even if Pope Francis shut his pie hole and quit bloviating altogether and David Suzuki and other environmentalists quit using their beloved SUVs and jetting around the planet emitting more carbon than us peasants do in a LIFETIME, it still won't make a dint if that little pile of molten carbon decides it's time to burp!

I like your thinking!

sara ann

While this is not expected on the gravitational model of planet formation, it is what is exactly expected due to something called Marklund Convection on the plasma model. The Marklund Convection process forms planets already layered according to their minerals, with the heavier on the inside and progressing to the lighter as the layers go out. We not only see this in individual planets, but in the composition of the planets themselves as they go out from the sun. Mercury, the closest in, has by far the largest core for its size of any planet. The core has the heaviest elements in it -- primarily nickel and iron. Venus has the next largest core per size and so it goes. The gas giants out beyond Mars have extremely small cores in relation to their sizes.

If you go to the formation of the planets part of Data and Creation, you will see an illustration of the relative core sizes.

The carbonates and liquid carbon are in the upper mantle. We would expect them to be melted from the heat. This is where the diamonds come from. We know that diamonds, which are carbon, have come up from a depth of about 200 miles. The earth's crust averages about 10 miles deep, by comparison.

So while a number of standard geologists are surprised by this molten carbon 'lake,' we would be quite surprised if it were not there.
I'm glad that you do your homework! thanks

Jonathan

This is more whimsical gesture than serious theology, but:

I once heard someone (maybe it was Missler) quip that the very center of the earth, a traditional location for hell, would fit the definition of the bottomless pit because if you were there, you would be at the center of the earth's gravitational pull, and therefore, there would be no up, down, top, or.... bottom. You would literally be in a bottomless pit.

Carl

Somewhere in the text for the link on the carbon pool it said carbonate. Which lead me to believe that they are talking about some kind of rock rather than elemental carbon. However if they are actually talking about both then I suppose that carbon can exist as a liquid given enough heat and pressure.