Question about people cursing.

God's Servant

If there is anyone who is mature in the knowledge of the Lord, who can help me understand what's happening to me and how to proceed. Since God is changing me, anytime people swear it bothers me, like a lot. To the point of almost physical pain. And I'm crying out in my head "stop it, stop it". Can anyone relate? If so how did you deal with it? Should I pray to God to take away this feeling?

Graceismine

How I deal with it is remembering that I was once one of them that do such things. I wouldn't pray to God to take the uncomfortable feeling away because that is what sets us apart from the world. I would be careful though about becoming self righteous. I am not saying that you are but it behooves us to test each situation we are in. Sometimes people will curse just to test our reaction. The best thing I can think of is to silently pray for them when they do curse. Taking the Lord's name would prompt me to correct whoever it is in no uncertain terms.

athenasius

If there is anyone who is mature in the knowledge of the Lord, who can help me understand what's happening to me and how to proceed. Since God is changing me, anytime people swear it bothers me, like a lot. To the point of almost physical pain. And I'm crying out in my head "stop it, stop it". Can anyone relate? If so how did you deal with it? Should I pray to God to take away this feeling?
You wonderful brother! That is the Holy Spirit at work in you. You are becoming more like Christ, loving what He loves, hating what He hates. As was said, just pray for them.

Steve53

Where I grew up, cursing was a normal part of everyday conversation. Hardly a sentence was uttered by some folks that didn't contain a curse word or off color turn of phrase.

For my part, I could control myself around family and in church and a few other places too, but otherwise I could make a sailor blush so easily it would make your head spin.

After coming to the foot of the Cross in my early teens, my language slowly began to clean itself up!
The cleaning process was not the result of a formal, conscience decision to cuss less. It just happened that way. For that, I credit the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

And another thing happened along the way to cleaner language - I expanded my vocabulary and found new and different ways to convey meaning and lend emphasis to what I had to say. I could tell people off in a manner they would have to ponder for a while. Sometimes that pondering process gave me time to get away...

Here now, decades later, I too find that an over saturation of cuss words makes me uncomfortable, especially if watching a movie. The occasional utterance? Not so much.

Colossians 4:6

Last edited:

billy swinea

WAITING ON JESUS
BROTHER YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK! I GET SICK WHEN I HEAR MY LORD'S NAME IN VAIN! THERE IS MINOR FOUR LETTER WORDS THAT ARE VERY OFFENSIVE TO ALL OF GODS CHILDREN. WHEN I WAS WORKING I HEARD EVERY VULGAR WORD! I WOULD WALK OF MOST OF THE TIME. I WORKED WITH A MAN WHO LOVED TO EMBARRASS ME! HE WAS TAKING THE LORDS NAME IN VAIN. THIS MAN WAS LISTENING. THE MAN SAID TO LITTLE GEORGE YOU BETTER QUIT CALLING SOMETHING YOU DON'T KNOW! THAT SUT OLD GEORGE UP. ONCE ON A FRIDAY A FEW OF US WERE WORKING OVER TO LOAD A TRUCK. GEORGE WENT TO A BOOTLEGGER AT LUNCH AND GOT SOME BEER. BUY THE TIME WE WERE THROUGH THE OTHER 3 GUYS WERE LIT. WE WERE WAITING TO GO HOME AND THEY TRIED TO GET ME TO DRINK A BEER! OLD satin SAID WHAT WOULD IT HURT? IT WAS HOT BUT I NEW THAT MY WITTNESS WOULD BE SHOT! I JUST SAID NO THINKS AND WENT TO CLOCK OUT! LITTLE GEORGE WENT TO CHURCH THAT SUNDAY AND GOT HIS SOUL SAVED! THEY WATCH EVERYTHING WE DO. PRAYING FOR YOU BROTHER IN JESUS MOST HOLY NAME. billy.

Goodboy

On my way up!
God's Servant,

While a lot of cursing does bother me and as someone else stated, especially in movies which I will stop watching. It does not bother me to the extent that it seems to bather you. I also have no good advice for you and will let others respond with advice.

What I did want to share is a conversation I had with God regarding cursing in a particular situation. No, not an actual verbal conversation, more like in the Spirit.

I was and had been sharing with my older brother trying to get him saved. When our Uncle died, we decided to drive down to Washington from New Jersey to attend the funeral. As my brother and I don't have a lot to say to each other as we are very different, I thought this would be a great time to share the Gospel on the 5 hour drive.

So I started sharing the Gospel with my brother on the drive and he is the type who will only listen for maybe 5 minutes before talking for 15 minutes. So after my 5 minutes, he began sharing his thoughts. Well he loved to curse (just as I use to), so he started sharing his thoughts about God, but his language was filled with curses. This was just so offensive to me and I was starting to get angry.

Just then God spoke to me (in my Spirit) and said "Why are you getting angry?'. I replied "Because my brother is using curse words when discussing his view of you, that is so irreverent". God replied "Are you protecting me from his words? Don't you know that I am all powerful and if anything I should be protecting you from his words. Don't worry about his words and get angry, as that is what Satan would want you to do to rune your witness. I have heard many more curse words than you can imagine in many different languages. Believe me, I can handle it just like I can handle all the sin in the world. You just continue to share with your brother and ignore any curse words he includes."

Now this is not meant to be advice for you necessarily, just what God shared with me. I am now able to share the Gospel with anyone no matter what words they use or sin they describe, without getting angry. You really need this ability with prison ministry which I do. :)

billy swinea

WAITING ON JESUS
God's Servant,

While a lot of cursing does bother me and as someone else stated, especially in movies which I will stop watching. It does not bother me to the extent that it seems to bather you. I also have no good advice for you and will let others respond with advice.

What I did want to share is a conversation I had with God regarding cursing in a particular situation. No, not an actual verbal conversation, more like in the Spirit.

I was and had been sharing with my older brother trying to get him saved. When our Uncle died, we decided to drive down to Washington from New Jersey to attend the funeral. As my brother and I don't have a lot to say to each other as we are very different, I thought this would be a great time to share the Gospel on the 5 hour drive.

So I started sharing the Gospel with my brother on the drive and he is the type who will only listen for maybe 5 minutes before talking for 15 minutes. So after my 5 minutes, he began sharing his thoughts. Well he loved to curse (just as I use to), so he started sharing his thoughts about God, but his language was filled with curses. This was just so offensive to me and I was starting to get angry.

Just then God spoke to me (in my Spirit) and said "Why are you getting angry?'. I replied "Because my brother is using curse words when discussing his view of you, that is so irreverent". God replied "Are you protecting me from his words? Don't you know that I am all powerful and if anything I should be protecting you from his words. Don't worry about his words and get angry, as that is what Satan would want you to do to rune your witness. I have heard many more curse words than you can imagine in many different languages. Believe me, I can handle it just like I can handle all the sin in the world. You just continue to share with your brother and ignore any curse words he includes."

Now this is not meant to be advice for you necessarily, just what God shared with me. I am now able to share the Gospel with anyone no matter what words they use or sin they describe, without getting angry. You really need this ability with prison ministry which I do. :)
BROTHER GOODBOY DID YOUR BROTHER GET SAVED? LOVE YOU MY BROTHER! PRAYING FOR YOU IN JESUS CHRIST OUR SAVIOR'S MOST HOLY NAME! billy.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Forgive them and ask God to help you forgive them. I grew up without cussing in our home, and have never been comfortable around it. Many grow up surrounded by it so it is a part of their lives that many probably don't even think about. When I hear the Lord's name used in vain, I immediately ask the Lord to forgive the person. I guess the only time I get my hackles up is when a family member says something in my house. No one would dare use a cuss word in front of me in our home, but they'll use a substituted word, that is still cussing in my book. Even then I'm forgiving. My wife will demonstrate a foul mouth sometimes with a substituted cuss word. I'm big enough to understand that she hears cursing from her co-workers and many do tend to emulate what they're exposed to.

It's easy to forgive when we understand that we fall far short ourselves, maybe not in cursing, but in other ways. We're no better or worse than anyone else. We're saved thanks to Jesus's Grace.

God's Servant

I'm not holding it against them. I won't forget I was also a man of unclean lips and heart, I was surrounded by and embraced cursing myself. And I am so far from perfect, I have slipped recently, rarely, but when I have sworn I ask God right away for forgiveness. When they swear it hurts me in my spirit, I want to cry, I'm seeing them as Jesus sees them. It's hard. God is showing me the true filthy state of the world, and as I write this now I am breaking down in tears, crying out to God. HE IS COMING SO SOON. HE IS COMING. HE IS COMING.

greg64

There was a time when I let a bunch of words escape my mouth in certain company (mostly male extended family around a campfire, etc.) that I never should have. I felt convicted because of the example I could be setting for my kids, so I stopped. It bothers me hearing it now -- some people (again, a lot of extended family) seem to gravitate towards a certain word beginning with 'f' as an adjective to describe just about everything. Also an adverb, and probably most of the other parts of speech, as well. However, we can't expect non-believers to act like believers or have the same standards or be bothered by the same things.

What I do is make a conscious effort to not slip into that and use other words instead. I believe they notice the difference.

Andy C

Reborn to fly
God's Servant,

Once again brother, we agree. With all my years in the Marines, I could cuss with the best of them. Now, I never cuss, well maybe if I stub my toe, but other than that, I dont at all. Unless someone is a constant F bomb dropper, bad words have no affect on me for the same reasons as you stated.

fl2007rn

God's Servant,

Goodboy: That is so awesome and I am sure that was the Holy Spirit talking to you by putting those thoughts into your head! Praise the Lord your brother eventually became saved. This is a beautiful story and I much enjoyed reading this first thing in the morning as I am drinking my coffee. :thumbup:hug

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
I've tried shooting people looks, but they are blind and they don't get it. There was a time even before puberty that I used to take the Lord's name in vain while waiting for the school bus to go to Christian School! "Forgive them because they know not what they are doing", Jesus said. After years of Christian School, church every Sunday and catechism on Monday I wasn't saved until I went through extreme trials in my 40's. The enemy is probably using them to insult your new sensibilities.

Last edited:

InsuranceGuy

This is my take on it. They are only words, so I ignore them. I'll still say the S word occasionally or the D word. It's rare, but it happens as I'm not perfect. The only word that I will absolutely not let get said around me is the God D word. I'll make it clear that is NOT to be said around me and shouldn't be said around anyone. I also don't like when people put the word "Holy" in front of the S word. I'll mention that too. Outside of those instances (that I can think of right now), I don't even really hear people cursing. It is only words. Man made slang. Also, I know some Christians who curse regularly. Am I to judge them based on them saying "Oh, Sh#@" when that is likely the biggest issue they need to correct? Nope. It's a man made word. It holds no power or meaning to me. I have boards in my own eye to worry about before getting upset over incredibly small things.

Now, you can tell your friends how you feel. They may curse less around you if they are true friends. I've made it clear if the GD words are used, we aren't friends anyway. My best friend recently broke the habit of using these words. It was almost every other sentence for him. Now, it's rare and he apologizes if one slips. If it's a true friend, they will understand what you can't be around and change their ways. It's a small thing to ask.

God's Servant

I try to ignore them. I don't want to say anything or shoot looks, because I was chief of cursing, I don't hold it against them. But I believe Jesus is allowing me to feel this pain so that I would be more passionate about the lost and pray for them. Now I pray for them in the late hours of the morning, whilst at work. Even when the curse I say "Lord clean their lips, let them see You in me so they may see God's power". So now when I hear a bunch of curses I am reminded to pray always. God is saying to me, "Pray to me about your workplace, and see My power descend upon it, they will know I AM GOD" At least thats what I feel in the Spirit, I don't hear God audibly.

I'm sorry I asked you guys about this, I should have asked God first and trusted in Him. I'm not even a babe in Christ, and I am just now learning from God, as I was such a stubborn man. But I thank God for you guys, and for all the encouragement, verses of Scripture. Be bold with me and continue to give me hope in our race! I love you all so much, only because Christ loved me first..

It's hard because I work with a friend I've known for 20 years. I can't just up and leave and not be around him. I work in a small pizza restaurant. It's just me, him (driver) and the boss. I cried out to God to deliver me from this wicked city. But it isn't His will. He stationed me here for a purpose.