Question about Hebrews 10:24-26 and what a local pastor said about it ??

Andy C

Which brings me to my next thought. Is this behind JM's bold move of re-opening his church no matter what? Don't get me wrong--I agree with what he is doing and hope more churches do the same. But now I am wondering if he is partly driven by legalism--that good Christians MUST go to church, and that they MUST be in an environment where they can be held accountable by the leadership?
I believe you hit the nail on the head. I had not considered this until I read your post.:hat

Amethyst

Angie ... †
; they do not believe salvation is the result of personally believing. Because they can't know for sure, they are taught that fruit is the evidence of salvation--good works.
Well, I just cant deal with that kind of teaching right now. I have been saved since at least early teens and I know because I believe the gospel. I just cant believe any more or any less.
Well I was praying and praying about the church and if it was the "one", and the last 2 services just didn't sit right. So for me I think that's my answer.

Thanks for everyones input.

mattfivefour

Yes, Dr Jack at Anchor Ridge is a TULIP Calvinist who says in his church statement of beliefs that "God chose and predestined some to be saved from before the foundation of the world (Romans 8:29-30). All men are universally called to repent and believe in Jesus Christ, crucified and resurrected from the dead (Matthew 28:19-20; Acts 17:30), but only the elect, who are predestined to salvation, believe and are saved (Matthew 22:14; Acts 13:48; Ephesians 1:4-5)."

The question, of course, is on what is this election, this choosing based? According to 1 Peter 1:2 it is based in God's foreknowledge. In other words, He knows who will and who will not accept His offer of salvation (regardless of what He does to convince and call them) and ensures that those whom He knows will come are protected and brought to the point where they accept Him. But many neo-Calvinist congregations specifically rule out foreknowledge. And that is where they depart from Scripture.

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
As a former Christian Calvinest, I know that I was saved then, and now as a non-Calvinest Christian I still believe That I am saved. I have posted in the past what made me reconsider the position that I held to, and why I no longer hold to Calvinism. I enjoy John MacArthur lessons in most areas of theology and young earth creationism.

Last edited:
Well, I just cant deal with that kind of teaching right now. I have been saved since at least early teens and I know because I believe the gospel. I just cant believe any more or any less.
Well I was praying and praying about the church and if it was the "one", and the last 2 services just didn't sit right. So for me I think that's my answer.

Thanks for everyones input.

Well, you shouldn't have to "deal" with "that kind of teaching", ever.

I took a listen and he harps quite heavily on the "corporate worship" and equates not attending to a departure from the Lord. Apparently, he feels people who are laid up sick in the hospital, in comas, in prisons in countries that hate Scripture and who are otherwise unable to join for corporate worship are "heretics damned for hell".

Angie, personally I would not set foot in that church again, and I would disregard his "preaching". As I mentioned before: it smacks heavily of his offering plate feeling a bit light. I would continue your search and not stress too much over this.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
Well, you shouldn't have to "deal" with "that kind of teaching", ever.
Oh, yea I know. But churches within a 30 minute range of me at least, don't even pretend to care about prophecy or even make a reference to it in their "statement of faith" much less preaching. But I saw this church did, so I thought maybe I could make a compromise here and there if they had something I didn't like.
But not if it's nibbling away at how a person is saved. Nope.

Dave

Oh, yea I know. But churches within a 30 minute range of me at least, don't even pretend to care about prophecy or even make a reference to it in their "statement of faith" much less preaching. But I saw this church did, so I thought maybe I could make a compromise here and there if they had something I didn't like.

I would feel that would be a sign to get out of that Church.

mattfivefour

I could sit in a church that ignored the pre-Trib, pre-Mil Rapture, as long as the rest of its theology was solid. But I could not sit in a church where the theology was bad, even if it were solidly pre-Trib, pre-Mil.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
If this were true, there would be no hope for any of us, especially those who think they're no longer sinners.
These scriptures back up what you said above. I John: 6-10 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Last edited:

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Hebrews is a really hard book to interpret correctly. It's one of the most abused in the NT, along with James. I think of 2 Peter 3

15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, 16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

Jojo4124

Strikes me as legalistic. Married to a children's pastor in a legalistic denomination the Pastor used Scripture to manipulate ppl to do what he wanted. Tithing verses were popular with him, lol. Money hungry pastors abuse God's Word so they get what they want. Not saying this guy is that, but God doesn't need a church building to feed, heal, and teach ppl. In fact, some say it is wrong for churches to borrow money for a church building. Ppl met in homes in the Bible. The goal wasn't to make tons of money so we can have the biggest building in town.

. I saw a few senior pastors when we were in the ministry who were more interested in numbers of ppl tithing and not excited about the kids that got saved in our kids church.

Paul mended nets and worked sometimes. He never modeled making tons of money to pad a cushy life and build a huge building.

Maybe if ppl don't come to church they won't tithe and he'll have to work an additional job.

Sorry, must be a trigger for me. I apologize if I sound like I am judging this man, I don't know him or his heart. Church isn't a bad thing but we don't lose salvation or live in sin if we worship and learn online for example. No condemnation!!!

glc11

That is interesting indeed, and it pulls several thoughts together for me. John MacArthur and his seminary, which this pastor attended, are Calvinistic. Calvinists are legalistic, hence the embrace of Lordship Salvation. Why are Calvinists leglaistic? Because they can't know for sure if they are saved--if they are for sure one of the elect chosen by God for salvation; they do not believe salvation is the result of personally believing. Because they can't know for sure, they are taught that fruit is the evidence of salvation--good works. They stress obedience. Church membership and attendance are seen as obedience. Googled JM--he teaches the importance of submission to the authority of the leadership of the church, of the accountability that it brings, of not being guilty of compromise. These can be good biblical things, but Calvinists have a reputation for over-emphasizing them.

Which brings me to my next thought. Is this behind JM's bold move of re-opening his church no matter what? Don't get me wrong--I agree with what he is doing and hope more churches do the same. But now I am wondering if he is partly driven by legalism--that good Christians MUST go to church, and that they MUST be in an environment where they can be held accountable by the leadership?

https://www.gty.org/library/blog/B130107/john-macarthur-on-the-importance-of-church-membership
https://www.gty.org/library/questions/QA124/why-should-i-attend-church
This is on point!

Back