question about deuteronomy 16:7

spark15

if you would could you read deutoronomy 17 :2-5

A lot of people bring this passage up to christians saying that it means we should kill anyone that does not believe in God.

I know this to be false one because God deals with us in dispensations in different ways which may make it sound harsh but its just how God dealt with people during Abrahams time i believe.

but anyway if you look in verse 4 it seems to specifically be talking about israel. If you have done a study in dispensations you would know that the entire Bible is centered around Israel aka the kindgom of heaven. I could understand that israel should be sanctified back then because that was the holy land also the land that Jesus will reign in during the millenial reign.

but what i hate is that people completely take everything from the old testament without doing any studying , take it out of context, and use it against us.

purely i know for a fact this does not apply to us any longer because we are under the dispensation of grace.

am i on the right track?

LivnForChrist

Jesus Christ is Lord
"am i on the right track?"

Yes, you are.

King James Version

Deu 17:2 If there be found among you, within any of thy gates
which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath
wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in
transgressing his covenant,

Deu 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshiped
them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which
I have not commanded;

Note: those who did this would be agreement
breakers or covenant breakers. Heathens don't have a covenant
with the Lord so I think he is not talking about heathens here. They
were going in to possess the land at this point and the heathens
were to be driven out of the land. That is my interpretation of this
but I could be wrong.

The Israelites were commanded to keep themselves pure
by removing from among them those who lived ungodly lives and
transgressed the covenant.

This scripture is dealing with any Israelites who were found to be turning from the Lord to worship other gods.

We are now in the New Testament era of Grace. We are not to kill
backsliding Christians but rather to
perform the recommended course of church
discipline
given by the Apostle Paul under the
inspiration of the Holy Spirit. We are to preach the gospel to the
lost, not kill them even if they don't accept the message. You are to
simply "shake the dust off your feet" and move on.

I hope this helps :)

It really is very simple, God is the same God in the OT.
They just don't understand that, becase of Jesus we where given a free gift of grace. In the OT people lived under the Mosiac Laws. In the Nt we have Grace,
that saves us from the wrath of God. The time of grace will be removed after the Rapture. Then comes the Great Tibulation and God will then pour out his wrath.

Ruth

I had been asked a question one day by an atheists about why all the killing in the old testament.

After praying about it - the Lord helped me to see that the old testament is all about how God showed them how doing it man's way was such a burden and caused much death.

In the garden of Eden before the fall - things were as God made them.
Then, after the fall, the entire old testament was what life is like when things are done in that light - by man's hands.

And, since God had promised to protect them as His people - He did much to keep His word - even when it was at a huge price of human life.

Then, Jesus came along and showed man God's way once again and became the second Adam for those who are born again to be born into a whole NEW creation.

So - we can look at the results of man's choices and the cost and failures of it all or

We can choose God's way and return to living a life as God intended it to be in His new creation that is manifested by the first fruit of Jesus and His body - the body of Christ - the Church.

sandy

I had been asked a question one day by an atheists about why all the killing in the old testament.

After praying about it - the Lord helped me to see that the old testament is all about how God showed them how doing it man's way was such a burden and caused much death.

In the garden of Eden before the fall - things were as God made them.
Then, after the fall, the entire old testament was what life is like when things are done in that light - by man's hands.

And, since God had promised to protect them as His people - He did much to keep His word - even when it was at a huge price of human life.

Then, Jesus came along and showed man God's way once again and became the second Adam for those who are born again to be born into a whole NEW creation.

So - we can look at the results of man's choices and the cost and failures of it all or

We can choose God's way and return to living a life as God intended it to be in His new creation that is manifested by the first fruit of Jesus and His body - the body of Christ - the Church.

what I have always seen is that most people ask these questions but have no clue as to how evil people where.
God was protecting.

sandy

if you would could you read deutoronomy 17 :2-5

A lot of people bring this passage up to christians saying that it means we should kill anyone that does not believe in God.

I know this to be false one because God deals with us in dispensations in different ways which may make it sound harsh but its just how God dealt with people during Abrahams time i believe.

but anyway if you look in verse 4 it seems to specifically be talking about israel. If you have done a study in dispensations you would know that the entire Bible is centered around Israel aka the kindgom of heaven. I could understand that israel should be sanctified back then because that was the holy land also the land that Jesus will reign in during the millenial reign.

but what i hate is that people completely take everything from the old testament without doing any studying , take it out of context, and use it against us.

purely i know for a fact this does not apply to us any longer because we are under the dispensation of grace.

am i on the right track?

if I'm not mistaken in the commandment to not kill
it means do not murder.

big difference!

God is a God of love as well as justice.

Ruth

what I have always seen is that most people ask these questions but have no clue as to how evil people where.
God was protecting.

I think that is true as well. But I honestly believe that, as with all of scripture, there are depths to understand.

There is human wisdom and surface understanding and then there is foreshadows and then there are the big picture aspects to it all.
I don't think we can always just assume what a scripture means on the surface.

The old testament was also a time when the Lord was showing mankind over and over again the futility of doing it their way.

He had hoped that with the taking of each innocent life, they would understand the enormous cost of sin and when Jesus became the lamb of God, the shedding of His blood for their sins those who's hearts had not hardened to what this meant but who also had tired of man's way, would receive the enourmous gift.

Jesus came and showed them a new way and turned the rules upside down - 'Forgive your enemies"
Matthew 5
38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'[a] 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also

Matthew 5
43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor[h] and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

sandy

yes, there are "types" in the bible.

I dont think this one is.

it is the result of living in a fallen world,
if he had not removed the wicked it would have spread and it was bad.

everything would have been defiled.

quote:

He had hoped that with the taking of each innocent life, they would understand the enormous cost of sin and when Jesus became the lamb of God, the shedding of His blood for their sins those who's hearts had not hardened to what this meant but who also had tired of man's way, would receive the enourmous gift.

I dont know where you are seeing this?

also, even after the OT, there have been wars and things still go on in this world today that are horrible.
thats why I dont get their arguement.

sandy

also, have you ever noticed its always God they have a problem with? not the world and the things
they do?

Back